What can I make with a bit of Lamb broth?
last year
last modified: last year
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (10)
- last year
Related Discussions
making huge batch of beef stock/bone broth
Comments (25)Sorry to be so late responding. I appreciate all of the advice. My e-mail has been acting up so I didnâÂÂt get any notifications and forgot to look here. I thought of cooking it outside just to keep the odor out of the house. Using the garage isnâÂÂt practical with our house design. It turned out not to be a problem inside. I think that I've cooked it a higher temp in the past - often a vigorous simmer instead of barely a simmer. Much better broth quality with the lower temp. Grainlady, the homemade boullion cubes looks great! IâÂÂll remember that for the future. Ajsmama, the bones are from the half cow that I purchased last summer. Since most people donâÂÂt want them, I suspect I can get more from the processor quite inexpensively. I love the effect of the parboiling. I put the bones in a stockpot, then covered with cold water. My stove brings this to a boil in a few minutes. After a vigorous 3 minute boil, all kinds of crud surfaced. I rinsed the bones, then roasted them, and made the stock as usual. There was almost nothing to skim during the stock making and the stock tastes wonderful. I probably didnâÂÂt cool the stock as quickly as I should have, but it was all down to room temperature within 30 minutes from removing it from the stove, and straight into the fridge. I wish IâÂÂd thought to use the blue frozen packs as we have a ton of them. I sadly ended up losing half of my bones before I started, so made this on top of the stove. Fortunately itâÂÂs easy to maintain a bare simmer on that stove. I found that the pan from my 24 quart roaster fits perfectly in my prep sink. We filled the sink with ice and water so that it came up around the sides of the pan; then strained the stock into the pan & stirred to cool. Since my stock was very concentrated, I also added ice directly to the stock, about 2 trayâÂÂs worth. This was a mistake, as I did lose the visible gelatin. It still tastes good, but I certainly won't dilute if at all when drinking....See MoreCan I sub venison for lamb in this recipe?
Comments (6)Thanks all! I meant to include the 7 Hour Lamb recipe with this post, but I forgot. Just in case someone doesn't knwo what I was refering to here is the recipe: Seven hour Lamb GIGOT DE SEPT HEURES From Les Halles and Anthony Bourdain 1 leg of lamb, about 6# 4 garlic cloves, sliced, plus 20 whole garlic cloves 1/4 cup olive oil salt & pepper 2 small onions, thinly sliced 4 carrots, peeled 1 bouquet garni 1 cup dry white wine 1 cup flour, 1 cup water Preheat oven to 300 F. Make many small incisions in lamb, place slivers of garlic in each incision. Rub lamb well with olive oil, season with salt & pepper. (At this point I would brown the lamb on all sidesÂbut thatÂs not necessary.) Place it in Dutch oven and add onions, carrots, bouquet garni, garlic, wine. Put lid on Dutch oven. Combine flour and water, make a 'caulk' and use it to seal the lid to the dutch oven. Place it in the 300 degree oven and cook for 7 hours. Yes, 7 hours. NO PEEKING--leave it alone. Remove the Dutch oven and break the seal. You don't have to eat the cooked flour paste. That's it. About a half hour to an hour of prep, then you leave it the heck alone for 7 hours. It's nearly foolproof. Serve it with whatever else you want, and a medium bodied red wine goes quite well with this (say, a nice Zinfandel) but a dry white (such as the remainder of the bottle you opened to get the cup of wine in the recipe) is fine as well if that's your preference. Bon appetit!...See MoreHow can I make brown bits for turkey gravy?
Comments (6)I've ONLY used a fresh, nat'l turkey for 25+ years (Huntsinger in So. Calif.) and I get tons of brown bits, so I'm confused how this would happen to you. I'm clarifying to you that my turkey NEVER has been injected with the "8-12%" salt solution, etc. as many are but buyers often neglect to see the fine print. My procedure is to Pam my roasting pan and rack, place the washed and cleaned/trimmed turkey on the rack and THEN proceed to season it all over, including the insides, along with a final sprinkling of paprika for color all over. Some of all of this, of course, falls to the bottom of the roasting pan. I then always cook breast-side down for first 45 min. @ 425 F. and then breast side up for the remaining time at 325F., rubbing it with softened butter just once during cooking. I also tilt the unstuffed bird just prior to removing it from the pan for any add'l drippings that were inside. I have TONS of brown bits in the pan + about 1/2" at least of dk. brown drippings. I then separate this, commence with the gravy makings in the same roasting pan and then add in at the right time the cup or two of turkey broth (+ chp'd giblets and neck bits) I cooked earlier with the giblets, neck, wing tips, onion and water that boiled for 1.5 hrs. The color is DARK brown with NO soy sauce or anything else added (sorry, DCarch). Delish....See MoreWhat can I make with my lamb broth?
Comments (6)Thanks for the good suggestions. Chloebud that soup sounds good. Unfortunately I only have the lamb broth because the lamb is done eaten gone. I want to DH to buy a large leg of lamb a whole leg but he only bought half a leg. I didn’t catch it before it over cooked a little bit – – I prefer it medium rare with garlic and rosemary. But it was good nevertheless. But it was not enough. Because I could eat it the next day and the day after until it is completely gone. I slice the leftovers into thin fairly thin not super thin slices and enjoy them cold or warmed. I would love to go buy more leg of lamb or any part of a lamb I think I really enjoy it. But I have to limit the amount of red meat kind of things I eat and a few days ago I ate duck which I also love. So I will freeze one container of the lamb broth and may use another to make something like a soup probably without any lamb because I don’t want to run to the grocery store again on this cold drizzly day. Lars, that sounds like a good idea to coffee race in the lamb broth, So I will do that sometime. I think for now I will try to come up with something like a white bean soup but I might’ve made the lamb broth a little too thin so we’ll have to find some additional flavoring (or go buy more lamb after all). I will try to let you know what I come up with those like Kate who would like a lamb lamb broth ideas. I do have a delicious recipe for lamb shish kebab kind of thing cooked on the grill. I don’t think I put the recipe here and I don’t think anybody was interested when I mentioned it but people are busy and things change so I will try to find space and time to do that. What I do is I take large chunks of lamb and put them in a marinate it in the marinade is essentially the Rodale Greek salad dressing recipe which I have written down. Then I thread them onto a rectangular skewer and grill them medium rare. I make a Greek salad sort of tossed salad with Greek dressing same Rodale dressing. I put the chunks of lamb into a pita pocket that has been lightly toasted along with the dressed Greek flavored salad. It is so delicious, I’ll be at very messy for me to eat. I usually make this in the summer because I grill outdoors. At one point on one of my devices I took photos. I made a whole lot of it. When I was in college some restaurant pizza takeout place used to make this or something like it and that’s where I got the idea from. Somebody told me that maybe it was “sharma” — I don’t get to eat lamb that often and when I do, because it’s such a treat, I have to prepare it with lots of garlic and fresh rosemary and have it medium rare. Excuse the typos because I’m using that speech recognition algorithm on an older iPad....See More- last year
- last year
Related Stories

THE POLITE HOUSEThe Polite House: What Can I Do About My Neighbors’ Trash Cans?
If you’re tired of staring at unsightly garbage way before pickup day, it’s time to have some tough conversations
Full Story
DIY PROJECTSMake an Upholstered Headboard You Can Change on a Whim
Classic stripes today, hot pink tomorrow. You can swap the fabric on this DIY headboard to match your room or your mood
Full Story
LATEST NEWS FOR PROFESSIONALSDesigning a Business: How Can I Add Income Streams?
Design business coach Chelsea Coryell offers up several easy ways pros can increase their cash flow
Full Story

COLOR8 Small Spaces Where Paint Can Make a Big Impact
Don’t forget about these little areas in your home. The right paint color can inexpensively transform a space
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOMEThe Question That Can Make You Love Your Home More
Change your relationship with your house for the better by focusing on the answer to something designers often ask
Full Story
MOST POPULARSee the Difference a New Back Deck Can Make
A dramatic 2-story porch becomes the centerpiece of this Ohio family’s renovated landscape
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNKitchen of the Week: What a Difference Paint Can Make
A bold move gives a generic Portland kitchen personality without a major overhaul
Full Story
LIFEThe Polite House: How Can I Kindly Get Party Guests to Use Coasters?
Here’s how to handle the age-old entertaining conundrum to protect your furniture — and friendships
Full Story
RUGSA Rug Can Make a Room — but What Kind to Choose?
The perfect rug may be all you need to complete your decor with color, texture and coziness. Here’s how to select the right type
Full Story
colleenoz