SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bob_davis48

Adenium seedlings hydro experiment

Bob Davis
8 years ago

I purchased a 32 cell ezclone, I also bought the coco coir plugs that are made by ezclone to start seeds and cuttings. ( I wanted to use net pots but I was disappointed to find out that the ezclone machine doesn't fit the 2" net pots.) I have about 120 adeniums seeds started in various mass plantings. I took some that are only a few days old ( 8 seedlings total.) 6 of the seedlings are Arabicum RCN, and the other 2 I put in this project were black pearl. I needed to fill two cells and black pearl were the closest seedlings I had near me at that moment so I went with it. I was going to try to start the seeds in the coco coir plugs at first, but I made a last minute decision to use seedlings I had already started in soil. They are less than a week old. I put them in the coco coir pellets and into the ez cloner. I added nutrients. I made a mistake and bought a bloom booster from earth juice called solution guano its 0-8-1. I also added earth juice "Verde fire" grow nutrients. it is a 4-7-2. I have some earth juice micro nutrients from last season which I haven't added yet, but I will probably do that right after this post. I am pretty much shooting in the dark with the nutes because I have never grown adeniums in a hydro set up, and I needed something I could afford that was organic. It is labeled as organic, however it has no omri on it so I don't know if it is really organic or not. I will probably change the water in a couple days and leave out the bloom fertilizer. After mixing the nutes and PH'ing the water I was too tired to start over.

So it is basically an aeroponic set up. I am going to turn it on for about an hour to let the coir become saturated then let it dry out. I will do this continuously throughout the weeks. If they rot right off I will try something different next time. but I will keep everyone posted as to what will happen with these first few. Here is a picture of whats going on. They are currently under fluorescent grow lights mixed with filtered sun through a west facing window during daylight hours. The fluorescents stay on for 17 hours at a time. I will be ordering my tent and leds this friday and move the system into that next week.

patio ideas · More Info
Ill keep you posted.

Comments (40)

• Bob Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Okay so I just added earth juice catalyst for some micro nutes. Since it is the first night and I uprooted these very young seedlings I am letting it run til I go to bed in few hours. The coir doesn't feel soaking wet it actually feels pretty dry almost completely dry on top and just barely wet on the bottom. the spray is hitting it from the bottom so I may need to add more than an hour at a time to let the spray wick through the coir better. I thought the spray would have soaked it more by now but it seems to be fine as of right now not over wet like I thought it might get. I want it to get nice and filled with nutes the first time. I didn't add nutes when I initially soaked them in PH adjusted water this afternoon. the catalyst I just added is .03-.01-.10 and its derived from oat bran, sea kelp,wheat malt,molasses and yeast.

• Jericson Pastor
    8 years ago

this seedlings in this picture is 40 days young

• Related Discussions

adenium grafting first experiment

Q

Comments (7)
    Hi, I am a first timer, and would like to know if I can graft a I month old albino seedling to another I month old regular seedling, since I have read that albinos dont live too long. Thank you.
    ...See More

Experiment#1 - Tower adenium with 1 month old seedling

Q

Comments (7)
    Ria, have you checked out Kodoms recently revived thread entitled 'experimenting with tower form' it may be of interest to you? Gill
    ...See More

First Adenium Seedlings... now for an experiment?

Q

Comments (11)
    Rats, don't you have to follow each other to be able to send a message on this silly system? I forgot that. What happens now, how do we nudge Steffen, does any one here know, I don't :-/ At least on the old GardenWeb set up you could message each other readily..............suggestions anyone? Please feel free to try and make contact if you can as it would be great to se him back with the conjoined twins too. He posted as Steffen Sweden. Gill
    ...See More

Adenium Obessum Seedling Grafts

Q

Comments (15)
    You flatter me, Pagan. I need to wait and see if any of these take and come along well before I'll put too much time into them. The super glue idea has long been used with cacti with great result so that is why I wanted to try it. Each seedling was sliced deeply enough to nick the layers of white core subtly and then pressed firmly together before the super glue was added around the edges. It acts as a wound sealer as well as glue. As the plants continue to grow, it is brittle enough it simply begins to crack and peel off without harm nor hinderance. The only problem is if the graft slips, super glue can get in between the cuts and act as a barrier. The natural thick excretion of the cut pieces also acts to help keep the super glue from seeping into the cuts but hold firmly and don't slip! Or, try it with super glue gel instead of liquid. One of the seedling side branch grafts is in fact a whole other tiny seedling. But it is also the most tender and least likely to survive, so we'll see. The others are all firmer tips off of other seedlings. I am happy to write up my results, even if they fail. I often learn as much from failures as successes. So far some of the branch grafts look iffy and lost some moisture, but all of the sliced trunks are doing great so far so I have been working on a few more of those.
    ...See More
  • Bob Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm so glad you posted. I need some advice. how often should I run the spray. should I run it constantly.are those rapid routers you started your seeds in or is that specific for the machine you have and if so what is it made of? and how do you do your nutes? do you have a link to a thread about your growing experience I know I've seen your set up in the past. I just don't know which thread it was. I was looking through your other pictures I was wondering what that milky substance you soak your plants roots and seeds in is it some kind of anti fungal treatment? Do you sell seeds? thanks for posting.

• addicted2plants Southern IL USA
    8 years ago
    Very fun and interesting experiment you have here Bob. Can't wait to see your results.
    Tracy
  • Bob Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Just wanted to keep this forum updated started some black pearls in an aerogarden and they are doing amazing so much so that I purchased another aerogarden the first three pictures they are around day 17 or 18

grow tent · More Info

grow tent · More Info

grow tent · More Info
    the lower two pics were taken a week later. They're doing really good A. Arabicum 'black pearl'
    grow tent · More Info

grow tent · More Info

8 years ago

Bob this photo is of an AeroGarden? Is that correct. I have never seen one with so many slots.

• Bob Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    yes this is from the aerogarden 6 they have an insert you can buy that holds 36 seedlings. it is made of a high grade Styrofoam. I am going to let them get about 3-4 sets of true leaves since they don't have alot of room in this set up then I am going to put the plugs that the machine comes with into the cups that go into the regular aero garden and move them over to my clone machine to grow. the aerogarden cups fit perfectly in my ez clone machine. which is good because I want to use it to grow more then clones. I originally thought the smallest net pots would fit in my clone machine but it doesn't. I was thrilled when I found that the aerogarden cups fit. I can hold 32 in that machine once I get it full I will put the regular insert in my aero 6 and grow some out as big as I can, I will have 32 in my clone machine and 7 plants in my aero 7. hoping to get some good specimens then I will buy some of those small smart pots when they get bigger and grow them up in those I like what I have been reading from everyone about the smart pots and I found the small ones for 1.50 at a local hydro store.
    8 years ago

Bob if you are looking to purchase the Smart Pots in bulk, I also use the Root Pouch which is of similar quality that can be purchased in quantities of 10 and 25 for a significant savings from my favorite online gardening store, Greenhouse Megastore.

• Pagan
    8 years ago

Isn't there a fast-forward button on your thread, Bob? I want to see these seedlings three years from now!

Pagan

• Bob Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hey Pagan, It took some trial and error. I am now starting my seeds in an aerogarden set up and will be transferring them over to the clone machine once they get bigger. from there into a fast draining medium maybe ebb and flow set up or possibly soil. But I want them to be a certain size first. I have been posting pics of my aero babies on other threads, but you are right I should keep this thread updated. so here are some pics of my aero-babies and I will also get some new pics in the next day or two.

grow tent · More Info
    Above is about 17-18 days

grow tent · More Info
    these are about 23-25 days
    grow tent · More Info
    this one is also 23-25 days

I have to post the 30-35 day photos and then the most recent which is about 40 days. I will have to do that later tonight from my phone. That's where I have those pictures. They are working on their 4th and 5th sets of leaves now at around 40 days. I want to snip their leaves back so bad but I am too nervous, so I will just wait to see how they grow. I also have a bunch started in another aero machine. i will get pictures up later. They are between a week and a couple days old. I'll keep everyone posted as I find the time to update.

• Bob Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I just realized I think I posted the above photos already on this thread so here are some pictures taken today at about day 40..the 2nd pic shows the aerogarden 6 a little older then the first post of them.
  • Bob Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    oh yeah tracy, I was at the hydro store the other day and saw the pouches, do they get the same amount of air as the smart pots. they appeared to be made out of some kind of plastic where the smart pots are fabric? I think I saw a man in thailand jn a YouTube video using the pouches. I also noticed they used rice hulls which is really popular where I am in cali. I might get some and give it a try.
    8 years ago

The Root Pouch is completely fabric. It is very similar to the Smart Pots.

• Bob Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks I wasn't sure what they were made of but they were very affordable at come in much smaller sizes to start. I think I will try them out this spring along with the fabric pots and do some comparisons.

• Bob Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    excuse my dust, I went to reno for a few days and just returned. my seedlings in this garden are doing well. the two on the right side of the pic, one in front and one in back were going on their 10th leaf i topped them and took off all but what you see on those two. i left the other ones alone to let them do their own thing. I've also got branches starting to shoot out of all but 1 at the nodes. no branches starting on the smallest but I have two branches starting on the 2nd smallest and a branch at almost every node on the others. in my other tray most are starting to get their first set of leaves. a few empty holes which I'm trying to fill. it's been 24 hours since I topped those two and I am already seeing the caudex start to plump up a little! the last pic are the two I topped.
    8 years ago

Hi Bob, I wanted to share an observation with you. I am sizing up my Dino Plants for a repot to larger fabric pots. What I am seeing is a significant difference in size when comparing a fabric Smart Pot to a fabric Root Pouch purchased from Greenhouse Superstore. The Root Pouches are much smaller. They are still a great quality, but their 3 gallon looks more like 1 gallon. Their 5 gallon is about 3 gallons. This is in comparison with Smart Pots.

• Bob Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks for the information. I really like the idea of the smartpot I think I am going to repot all my plants up in them come spring. I also wanted to share with everyone...on Christmas day I topped two of my adenium 'black pearl' here's a pic of what's going on with one of them...Lots of branching...hope it doesn't turn into a bad thing. Also i was reading something on siamadenium.com that Black Pearl is a socotranum arabicum hybrid. I'm hoping this is true for the black pearl seeds I got from adeniumcenter are a hybrid that would make me very happy. is there anything I should look for to know if it has socotranum traits?
    8 years ago

Bob you won't be able to single out the Soco traits until the plant is much older, at least 3 to 6 months before it starts developing its true shape and branch structure. Perhaps even longer than this. I am still new to the Thai Soco world and learning.

Tracy

8 years ago

Looking great by the way!

• Bob Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    thanks, I'll have to read more up on it myself. I learn something new about them almost everyday.
  • Bob Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    the first picture are some adenium seedlings arabicum 'black pearl' 14 days old. the next two pictures are my hydro seeds around day 55 two of them have been topped. These 7 are branching even the two that have a much slower growing rate. way different phenotype. the 4th picture is of the top of the two view of the two I topped.
  • Bob Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    the first two pictures are seeds I started in soil about 60 days ago. These were also arabicum 'black pearls' sorry for the lighting I'll try to get better shots during the day tomorrow. in the tray are arabicum 'PNW' started 60 days ago. I can't wait til they are big enough to transplant into their own pots. I'll do this in spring. By then only the strong will have survived . So far I have had much greater success than my first batch which were all dead by day 60. There are alot of good phenotypes in these trays only a few are growing more lanky than plump. However, not nearly as big as my hydroponic ones which are younger by about 5-7days .
  • Bob Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I don't know how to edit post on my phone so I just want to say I have arabicum 'brazilian' and arabicum 'singbhuri' mostly but I had to re germinate a few seeds and they either came from an arabicum mix bag or desert night fork. they kind of got mixed up. But I'm seeing some starting with real nice form.
    8 years ago

Some plump looking fatties there Bob! The ones you pinched are showing promise too. I am curious to see how long they can stay in this foam tray before needing to be transplanted.

Tracy

• Bob Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I will have to get a picture up soon of the bottom of the foam tray. Roots have made their way down and are growing down into the aerated reservoir below. I think the biggest problem will be room up above, with where the leaves will go. Most of these will be put into the same cups that the ones in the other garden are in and into the black cloning machine in the first post. I have a few RCN seedlings in the cloner right now. I used a different type pellet for those and started them out on a different nutrient diet. I've changed the nutrients since. and I think the lighting is about just right for when I add these Arabicums into the tent. Hopefully they will continue growing like they do in the aero garden once the change is made.

• Bob Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    here you can start to see the taproot reaching down into the resivoir on the younger bunch.
    8 years ago

Very cool indeed, Bob. I forgot to mention to you, I have found a couple more of my Brazilians with the darker reddish skin since we last chatted about them. I am noticing the skin color change on some of them to a reddish brown color. Hope this means you can get a few with the nice coloring too.

Tracy

8 years ago
    Bob check out the seedlings of Arabicum Singaburi, also known as YSB. These are from the seeds you sent me. The color on them is terrific!
    Tracy
  • Bob Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    It definitely looks like I may have a red caudex one. if the color holds out! Those YSB are doing well! I'm glad so many are working out so far. you've got this sowing seed thing down. I started soaking the rest of the desert night fork tonight. I have a food tray I want to incubate them in. I am going to grow them in soil.

I also decided I am going to wait a few more weeks to transplant my other soil seedlings into their own pots. I wish I could get my leaf growth down, the leaves on the ones I have in soil don't seem to grow as well as your! have you fed those YSB yet?
  • Bob Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hey everyone, I have Pictures...I recently broke the front end camera on my phone so I had to take this with the Back camera. It was hard to get the shots, but I did get some ok ones. The first pictures are from that first aerogarden batch, most of them are chopped, they are Arabicum 'black pearl'.
    In the last picture, I took 6 of the nicest looking plants out of 36 I started, they are about a month old now. Some are YSB and some are Brazilian, I'll have to try and weed them out later. in my tent in the other machine I have desert night forks, YSB, and Brazilians mixed...I know where one of the Brazilian seedlings is. It has a real nice red caudex but is a bit of a runt right now..I'll be watching him though. As for all the rest I don't know if I will ever be able to identify them. I'll get more pics up soon. Also, they all in both batches seem to be branching alot, the ones under the leds compared to the cfl's are branching younger.
    8 years ago

Bob they look nice and stocky! Congrats to you on getting moved. Sounds like some of these are starting to perform well for you. The nodes are close together which is exactly what you want to see at this age. I look forward to seeing them progress.

Tracy

• Bob Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    so today I removed the Peet moss from around the crown of my adeniums in the aero garden, I am hoping the tap root will swell like the rest and I can slowly make them a little more like an anaconda.
    I removed a few really small feeder roots in the process. but I think they should be fine. in the third pic the plant is having issues with yellow margins. the newer leaves are doing okay though. I was thinking about doing the leaf cutting.
    how much of the leaf should I cut off and will this help it to swell more?
    8 years ago

They look great Bob. I would advise against cutting any of the leaves at this young age.

• Bob Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    that's what has kept me from cutting them so far... I'll wait a few more months to see how re over from loosing a few feeder roots.
  • Bob Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I wanted to share these, I made them right before I moved to my new place. they are hypertufa pots...The large one was 2 parts peat moss 2 parts coarse perlite and 2 parts cement the smaller ones I feel like turned out a little more hypertufa looking.. I used 1 part peat moss 1 part coarse perlite and 1 part pumice I let them sit in the molds for two days since it was cold out, I then took then out of their molds. I didn't soak them to leech them but we ended up getting hit with a series of storms so I was able to leave them out in the rain to cure and leech. it was alot of fun making them, come spring I may plant some hens and chicks in them or maybe even an adenium.
  • rcharles_gw (Canada)
    8 years ago

Bob, your hypertufa pots are really nice. A lot of fun actually making these.

I wish I could remember the name of the solution a chemist friend used to soak these in to stop or arrest the lime and curing process from being an issue for plants.

I had made two and soaked them for awhile. Not long enough and I almost lost one of my large Arabicums. I have had them outside in the elements since last spring now.

Definitely soak in water for a long time.

Rick

• Bob Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hey Rick, I was reading online that you should soak them for three weeks, we've been having rain storms for the last two months so I put them out in the rain and will leave them til spring. I was told this would also help it to cure nicely and leech the lime. we will see. I've been having water issues. I don't know if it's because I just moved and the water here sucks. I'm trying to find out where I can find out if my city uses a water softener or what kind of minerals are in the water here. it's either the fact that I moved from my old city/county or its build up since Oct finally coming to a head from not letting the water drain all the way through my pots.
  • Maria Elena (Caribbean - USDA Zone 13a)
    7 years ago

Hi, Bob -

Please share an update on the seedlings you placed in the EZ Cloner & AeroGarden in late 2015. How did those fare in comparison to each other and soil grown specimens?

Thanks.

- Maria Elena

• Ryan Singrossi
    6 years ago

I'm "Bob" I was using my partners account for this thread. My seedlings were looking really good they had all branched out by early Oct 2016 and were nice little fatties with round ping pong size caudex and 3-5 branches. Unfortunately i moved to a new place that had alot of property, but no room to grow indoors. I went on a trip to Florida and was afraid it was going to get too cold so I had a roommate bring them into a hoophouse that was on the property, with all the rest of my tender plants. The hoop house was unventilated and there were a couple days where the temps bounced back to the low to mid 90s, the hoop house temps got to around 115-120+ degrees F. The sap in all my adenium, plumerias, and dorstenias "boiled" and exploded. i was devistate when i came home to a bunch of boiled exploded plants. because of this I decided to start growing and collecting succulents that are cold hardy so I didnt have to do the succulent shuffle. after the trauma of loosing all my adeniums I stopped coming on the forum. I miss adeniums lots though and im planning a move to southern california partly so i can start growing plants that wont make it through my winters up here in north east california. About 80 percent of my motivation to move has to do with growing these plants year round outside. im hoping to be living down south by mid to end dec 2017. The peat plugs that they were started in, in the aerogarden were planted into pots and the adeniums were starting to establish real nice too. the only plants that survived the tragedy were four of my fockea edulis which started putting out new growth late in the spring 2017.. my fockeas even survived the winter with little protection since i thought they were just pots with soil in them. i thought they had died too. when i do start adenium seeds again it will be hydroponically. until then im growing lots of sempervivums,jovibarbas, aloes, haworthias and gasterias. ive also just started working a little with echeverias, but they still make me nervous that it might get too cold in the winter here for them. I took offsets from a friend who has them in her garden year round, and i akso planted mine into the ground, so they should be good with a light cover even with a short freeze. sorry I dont have them anymore to show pictures!