SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulbarry

Photos of Poorly Installed Hex Tile

joyfulbarry
8 years ago

Hello! I apologize for posting again. I couldn't find how to add photos to my original post and I was concerned people may not see them if they were down in the comments. We had hexagon floor tile professionally installed this week and the grout lines are uneven in areas. It's quite apparent (especially since we went with a light grey grout and the tile is white). The installer says he can fix it. He plans to only fix the portions that have the uneven spacing though. Is it possible, or recommended, to chisel out and correct portions of the floor? I'm worried we're going to end up with a patch job.

This is the tile in the middle of the entry. The uneven spacing really stands out.

I marked the areas with blue tape that really stand out to me.

In many places around the perimeter the grout lines are going to look awful. I had giving the installer this sample piece of trim so that he would have it as a guide.

Here's a picture of the main space as it is now.

Any advice you guys can offer is much appreciated! The installer is coming back Monday. As a homeowner what should I be asking of this installer and the flooring company he works for? I really want it to look nice! It wasn't inexpensive, nothing outrageous but still about 1k for this space. $5 per sq ft for the tile and $5 per sq ft for the labor. This is the first time I've ever had tile installed. Thanks again!

Comment