SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seopee

Black Penny Rounds or Stone-Look Hex Tile for Bathroom Floor?

seopee
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi all,

This is a bit of a last cry for help (i.e. reassurance, guidance, all opinions welcome!) before I drive 2 hours to Floor & Decor to do a final selection of tile for our bathroom later this week.

SHORT VERSION: Not sure how to add a voting tool, but which bathroom floor tile do you like best?

• 12x24 Gray Porcelain Tile
  • 10x11 Stone-Look Gray Hex Tile
  • Glossy Black Penny Round Tile

LONG VERSION:
Here's what our bathroom looks like now (6.25 x 15 so it's a rather large space):

Originally, we were going to go with the following color scheme for the floor and walls:

Shower Walls (floor to ceiling around the tub): Daltile 3x6 Subway Tile in Arctic White (w/ light gray or white grout)
Shower Niche: Soho Deco White Marble Mosaic (matching gray grout) or considering incorporating this in the floor somehow; I just love the colors / depth of this mosaic
Bathroom Floor: 12 x 24 Vogue Warm Gray Porcelain Tile or a darker gray floor tile

The rest of the bathroom will either be tiled in the same white subway tile, or painted white or gray (BM Chantilly Lace or Decorators White, SW Big Chill). Also considering a white shiplap or horizontal planks on the wall above the wainscoting (we may leave it and paint it white, or remove and do shiplap or subway tile from floor to ceiling). Outside of clawfoot would be painted black with gold or silver feet.

Here are photos of our current tile scheme:

(These two are the same, just in different lighting)

I was feeling pretty confident about my choices until I realized that:

• I may not want 12x24 large format tile in a Victorian bathroom floor (not a fan of laying it staggered, so would probably lay it straight)
  • The marble mosaic is going in the shower as a niche and will not be a focal point of the bathroom (in contrast to the way it seems now in the photo). I was using this piece to match all the other colors/paint choices, but am second-guessing whether I need to just focus on the subway and floor tiles and pretend this mosaic doesn't exist. Or, figure out a way to incorporate it more without spending tons of $$ (it's the most expensive piece we're using).
  • I'm also questioning whether I'm ruining the charm of having a clawfoot tub / pedestal sink in the bathroom with these more modern tile choices on the floor.

We live in an older Victorian and my main goal was to update/install a new shower, change out the flooring and red-yellow color scheme, and give the bathroom a more spa-like feel without losing its original charm.

My alternative flooring options:

My main considerations are:

• Will a 12x24 tile on the floor ruin the look of the space?
  • There's so much floor to cover (including underneath the washer-dryer and the shower floor) - 105 sf total. Do any of these seem like a better choice considering the size of the room?
  • This is our only bathroom :(. Feels like we only have one shot to get it right.

Thanks for all / any help, thoughts, advice. Cheers!

Comments (6)