SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kim_wa

Orchids in terrible shape, can you help? (pictures in comments)

Kim
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

These three orchids live in my university greenhouse and are in a sad state. Part of the problem is that the work study students who take care of them over water, the bark they are in is soaked and awful, I will be repotting all our orchids soon and am trying to come up with a color coding scheme to help prevent over watering. Which is about 90% of the issues in there... Also, for whatever reasons i have been told we can't use chemical pesticides in the greenhouse. Something about liability, and the zygopetalum has a terrible case of scale. Not sure what to do for it.

I know next to nothing about orchids, especially not these species. Any and all advice is very much appreciated. I can't post photos from my phone, my friend is going to do that for me (thanks tawny!)

The worst one, with scale and lots of black spots is zygopetalum Arthur Elle x Ben wrighton. There is another labeled only Maxillaria, and another that was hard to read, can check tomorrow and see if I can get a better idea, I think Brassia verrucosa x mittaria wanttech (last species name is the tough to read bit)

Aside from getting them out of the horrid wet bark and implementing a better watering strategy, what can I do for these? Any and all tips are appreciated, between the rest of the plants, my own, and my academics and work I do not have nearly as much time to research these three as I'd like.

Comments (9)