SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laundrymitch

Sunlight Laundry Detergent

Laundry Mich
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I had to post this ;)

I was just mentioning this brand... to Larsi the other day, and I wanted to share it with you guys too.

Sunlight is actually a Canadian Brand, only sold in Canada. It's extremely rare you'll see it, unless you're close to the border but this is a Sun Products Brand (Makers of Wisk, All, Surf) with a wonderful, very clean lemon scent.

I was able to use some a few summers ago, and this stuff is just like the Tide Original Powder we have here. It's just a nice, clean scented powder with Enzymes and Oxygen Bleach, exclusively made in Canada of all places. I really have no idea why we don't have this brand here. I know Sunlight used to be made here, just not in the past twenty years.

When I noticed it tonight at Big Lots, I just had to take a picture and post. I hope you guys enjoy, and maybe find it :)

Comments (79)

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Sandy...Look another Lemon Detergent!! LOL

sandy can't help but laugh at this...haha...besides she loves her geeks!

• georgect
    8 years ago

OMFG! I totally freak'n cracked up!

• Related Discussions

Color Advice - Need some Advice on No Natural Light

Q

Comments (11)
    The tile is so neutral, you can go with almost any color. The lighter colors will seem brighter in the dark space. I would find an inspiration piece and go with the colors from that...it can be an outfit you like, a plate, a pic of a room you like, a poster you'd like to hang on the wall...anything. So long as it's something you'd like to look at. Then go with it. My laundry room was inspired by a kitchen I saw on a house tour where the owner had white cabinetry and painted the little bit of wall space in heather. It was luscious, and i loved it so much that the color stuck with me....so now I have a heather colored laundry room...crazy to some, but I love it. And what the heck....it's a laundry room...why not liven it up.
    ...See More

MamaP...Mitch is right LEMON Sunlight powder at Big Lots

Q

Comments (10)
    Larsi, my Chick...mama already called Big Lots and they have it here too...I had them hold one for me and I'll pick it up sometime tomorrow....I'm so excited LEMON, this is so kool. I will let you know how sudsy it is Larsi and if you want some I'll send it out to you. Lol. I haven't used Sunlight in many years, I barely remember it lol...but LEMON!!!! And I want to add how sweet of you to remember I love lemon..Thank You Larsi.
    ...See More

Sunlight, share your results.

Q

Comments (18)
    Last night I washed a load of white kitchen towels with the Sunlight. No STPP or any other booster, 135 deg water temp, and 1/3'rd cup Sunlight, and I shut the machine off for a 30 minute soak...zero suds. They all came out clean, stain free, fresh smelling and soft. So far I'm liking this stuff. Even a smaller dose makes my wash water super slick, and even though there's no Lemon scent after the rinse everything smells very fresh and clean. I'm liking this better than P&G offerings, so far, except for Tide with Bleach lol...that will always be my favorate. LOL.
    ...See More

Sunlight Dishwasher Powder by Lever Brothers

Q

Comments (29)
    Alex- is your dishwasher the Miele Diamond? Do you have the grates and filters cycle? OMG I put in a horrible large roasting pan that I overcooked chicken, vegetables and rice in. I couldn't scrape the food off even with a metal spoon. I figured what the he**, try the grates and filters cycle. Yes it ran for almost 3 hours but at the speed and temperature that engages with the "short" option on cycles. I used a Cascade platinum pod and still figured there was no chance as it was by far the worst thing I have ever put into a dishwasher. The sides were burnt , the rice was stuck I mean really bad. I opened the dishwasher and the roaster was absolutely spotless. Not a speck of anything on it. It was a white pyrex dish. The dishwasher was blazing hot on the outside and my granite was hot above the unit. This is now my go to cycle for horribly dirty dishes like what I have described. I am not even sure my GE 2800 Potscrubber would have removed the hot mess inside that pan. I was stunned. I was mad that I didn't take a before and after picture.
    ...See More
  • Joel H.
    8 years ago

I have seen this at my local Big Lots, too. I'm intrigued. I am sure I do not even have to ask, but will someone report on how well this cleans before I go out and add yet another box of laundry detergent to my mini grocery store? ;) I have seen that Barf detergent before....I just can't. lol.

• larsi_gw
    8 years ago

OMG....Barf detergent? I thought this was a joke. I like how the picture on the bottom shows lots of bubbles and there is a red X over the front loader picture. LOL....they mean business!! It shows 500g, so I'm thinking where ever this Barf comes from, they did not bother to check what barf means in English.

Years ago Sav-On drugs changed their name to Osco, before going back to Sav-On. I guess, REALLY??, no one bothered to check that Osco means gross or disgusting in Spanish. Spanish!! Hello!!!!

• Laundry Mich
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Larsi... there's a huge and pretty upscale grocery chain, in Chicago called "Jewel-Osco". I had no idea Osco stood for Gross/Disgusting in spanish. I wonder why Jewel-Osco never changed to something else.

Anyway. I didn't even notice the "Barf" name on that box. All I saw was Lemon Detergent ;) lol.

• miami mami
    8 years ago

Jean- I have not showed you guys everything I have. I have not mentioned my insane collection of dryer sheets because no one here likes them!

• Jean
    8 years ago

mami-you just post away! I am very interested in everything that has to do with laundry! I'd like to compare what I have and like and what you have and like. Absolutely love Bounce Outdoor Fresh dryer sheets. I don't have nearly what you have, but I am always willing to try something new!

• Jean
    8 years ago

I think the main reason everyone is skittish abut dryer sheets is due to build up in the lint filters that could potentially cause a fire. Still want to hear about your collection! I did learn to wash the lint screens not just clear them with our fingers.

• Laundry Mich
    Original Author
    8 years ago

miami mami... I'm actually a fan of sorts of some dryer sheets ;) Feel free to post away.

• miami mami
    8 years ago

I know! I am very careful w the lint screen. I've used them for years w no problem, but I know some dryers you just cannot use them in. But I love them! I will post a pic for you! Just not right now because I'm chillin on my patio w a nice bottle of Cabernet! Lol

• miami mami
    8 years ago

I have on hand right now. Snuggle blue iris, snuggle lavender and sandalwood, bounce outdoor fresh, downy April fresh, downy clean breeze, gain original, gain lavender, arm and hammer mountain fresh, targets lavender bloom, bounce fresh linen, and bounce for men. Lol a little over excessive.

• miami mami
    8 years ago

I also ziplock each box so as to not lose the scent lol

• sandy1616
    8 years ago

I'm cracking up that Osco means gross in spanish! I always wondered why the only Oscos were part of the Jewel stores.

• larsi_gw
    8 years ago

I LOVE the scent of Bounce Outdoor Fresh dryer sheets. My Miele dryer though,explicitly says DO NOT USE DRYER SHEETS The way the Miele is designed the intake vents near the door, can get physically clogged with the actual dryer sheet and cause overheating, and the stuff does build up in the dryer vent and you need to regularly wash the lint screen with hot soap and water.

TRY, you must TRY the Bounce Bursts Outdoor Fresh in wash scent booster beads. You add 1/2 to 1 cap directly in the wash drum (top or front load) and then add you detergent and softener. 100% same scent as Bounce sheets!!!

• sparky823
    8 years ago

Larsi: You could always pin the sheet to a piece of fabric(washcloth) and use that to keep it out of the filter/grill. A lot of the build up people have I think(totally my opinion) is from using too many sheets in one load and never washing filter or sensor strips. I use 1/2 to a whole sheet depending on load size when I use them. I mostly use liquid because I hang dry a lot of things but keep sheets on hand also, especially for winter static.

• georgect
    8 years ago

Alright laundry junkie pushers (you know who you are)...I went to Big Lots to see what all the fuss was about.

I'll have you know I DID NOT fall off the wagon and buy any laundry products!

Partly because there was an employee in the aisle partly blocking my view (probably a good thing).

What I did see was LOTS of Cheer power and liquids in a wide variety of sizes even a convenient 40 load size box but NONE were "HE" not even the liquids so I didn't get any. I just don't want to chance the suds or extremely low dosing.

I didn't see any "Barf" but then again some of my viewing was obstructed.

I will have to go back to Big Lots. I've never been there before (my first time), the employees were really nice and they had a lot of great bargains. I did wind up spending like $50 just browsing around picking up odds and ends.

Today Amazon delivered the Perwoll ReNew Color (2 liter) detergent I ordered.

Now I have a use for the pedestals the washer and dryer sit on...DETERGENT OVERSTOCK!

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

LMAO. Barf laundry detergent can't be found in the US. Its a iraqi/iranian detergent and has never been sold in the US lol

• georgect
    8 years ago

OH Mama! I thought "Barf" was a Big Lots exclusive...LOL.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

I'll tell you I'm about to Barf and it won't be laundry detergent. .were on our way home from pittsburgh, husband hits the gas like a freeking crazy ass and blows a heater hose..he's under the van now..I say he better be able to get me home I have things to do, not to mention he's going to be covered in god only knows what ....tragically dirty clothes.. lol

• Jean
    8 years ago

georgect and larsi at Biglots I cannot believe it! Oh no mama-you're in a broke down van! But on the good side-more laundry-I want before and after pictures pretty please!!

• Jean
    8 years ago

Unless you do something to the husband and have to hide the evidence! Then we will all scrape together bail money.

• larsi_gw
    8 years ago

LMAO Jean!! Sorry MamaP. Ughhh, I hate car troubles. Yeah, Jean...it was quite an experience for George and I. We should have iPhone face timed each other while we were there!!! LOL

• sparky823
    8 years ago

George: The regular Cheer powder was never a big sudser, at least not for me and I don't have hard water. You would probably have been fine with the regular. Liquid would be another story.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Lol at you all. I did get my sunlight but I'm not lovin the scent, its a faint lemon mixed with chemicals...Oh wait...It is chemicals lol. I thought it would be more lemony than it is. I will test it out tomorrow, tonight I had a load of whites that screamed old skool Tide with Bleach LOL. I have towels to test this Sunlight on in the morning. But the texture tells me it has a high % of Sodium Carbonate so I better dose carefully .

George I was hoping Big Lots would have Cheer in a blue box..but my store had no cheer at all. Lol

• Laundry Mich
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@mamapinky0 when I smell or "huff" it box opened, I smell a nice scent of Lemons with a hint/touch of Pinesol.

Sunlight has obviously changed a little in the past 3 years since I last used it. But I don't think it's too durastic. Do keep in mind though, most of Canada has relatively soft water so this won't be heavy in Zeolites. It does seem like probably 30-40% Soda Ash.

P.S. My scoop was at the very bottom of the box. I had to dump it into a container to find it ;)

Line One is somewhat generous compared to P&G scoops, so this box would probably last me two full lifetimes. I'm going to have to donate have of it.

I like it. I haven't used it to post a fair review, but I think it had a cleany-lemon scent to it, and it's much better then P&G's newest creations.

• amg765
    8 years ago

Now I want to check out the local persian grocery store for some Barf detergent, because that box has excellent gag gift potential :D

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Towels are soaking in a hefty dose of Sunlight, I will have to do 2 rinses as I went heavy on the detergent. They agatated 10 minutes before I shut the washer off and not a bubble in sight, water is extremely slippery. (I have soft water). I will up date you when the load finishes.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

After I restarted for last 8 minutes of wash cycle there were a few bubbles and I mean only a few, rinse water was completely clear, they came out of the washer smelling absolutly heavenly, not Lemony, but a scent of deep down fresh and clean, and the towels were brilliantly, mamapinky WHITE! Will say I loved this Sunlight on towels. It must have a hefty % of Peroxide in it, so I think I'd be careful using it on anything but whites and lights. This will pprobably be the detergent I will use on my white towels. I have a load of white kitchen towels to do later today so I'll see how it does on them, and check back with the results.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

THis wall plaque is adorable

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

ANd this

is my Sunlight wall hanging/towel rackI

• sandy1616
    8 years ago

Now I have to get some Sunlight. I was hoping you would say it was crazy sudsy. Lemon towels sound amazing!

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Sandy next load of towelsI'm trying 1/2 dose Sunlight & 1/2 dose Lavender liquid. .lol.I

• sandy1616
    8 years ago

Lavender and lemon is my favorite scent! Let me know how it goes :). I have some lime and lavender essential oils infusing some unscented Downy.

• vetwife1998
    8 years ago

@Miami Mami -- please, please, pictures of dryer sheets. I'm sacrilegious and use them!

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Vet,I'm glad to see you around..I had been wondering if all was ok with you.

Personally I don't buy dryer sheets ..I do have a newish box of AF and a unopened box of Clean Breeze from 09. once in a blue moon I use a half of the AF if its on something that gets a lot of static. That being said, Mami, your dryer sheet collection is impressive. Mami, just because some of us don't use/like dryer sheets is no reason to hold your fabulous collection from us LOL, if you like them and keep your dryer clean, what would it be any of our business to be negitive..I say use them if you like them...I use phosphates and brag about it even knowing how some people feel about it haha. So sweety if you've got em...flaunt em!!!

• vetwife1998
    8 years ago

@mamapinky: Thank you, yes, all is well; work is getting in the way of fun stuff lately! I'm certainly glad to "see" all of you again. :)

• sparky823
    8 years ago

Pink: Just going back through this post and I missed where you asked me if I remember Sunlight. I do remember the dishwasher detergent and liquid dish soap but not the laundry detergent. I did go in Big Lots today and they had this big box for $10 but it seemed kinda clumped up OR it could just be the box was so full it didnt flop around much when shook. I will say I am not a fan of the smell. More chemical than lemon I thought but everyones "smeller" is different. LOL. I left it there. They had Oxydol liquid but no powder, rest was assorted Tide's, Sun,Dreft, Ajax etc.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

HI Sparky..its possiable the Sunlight I remember as a kid was Sunlight bars..wonder when Sunlight came out in Canada..my mom used to go to Canada a lot when I was a kid, so either she brought it back with her or its the bars I remember.

When I first picked that Sunlight box up and tried to shake it ...it sounded like a hard lump and I thought no wonder its here it got wet..but when I got it home it was free flowing..also I wrote that i wasn't crazy about its fake lemon scent..but I stirred it a bit and it grew on me, I think it smells fine and as someone else said way better than todays Tide offerings, although I kinda like the Tide powder Mountain whatever.

• Joel H.
    8 years ago

When I bought my box of Sunlight, I checked to make sure it was loose in the box before I bought it. Mine is free flowing, with no lumps. I kinda like the smell, its fresh. Line dried clothes after being washed in this smell great!

• miami mami
    8 years ago

Ive been AWOL from the forum most of the week taking care of sick kids and now sick myself, (of course). I will try to take a pic tonight of some of the dryer sheets. Im just resting now before my little wild ones come home from school. :)

• Joel H.
    8 years ago

I hope you and your brood are feeling better, Miami!

I am currently using Sunlight on a load of white sheets. Line 1 on the scoop, 140 degrees, they will be line dried. No excess suds once the heating was completed. So far, I like this stuff!

• Jase
    7 years ago

I was at Big Lots earlier this week and grabbed the last box of Sunlight Lemon Fresh off the shelf. I already have a nearly full box but I like this detergent in my rotation, so I figured I better get an extra while I can. I think this box was still there because the handle was broken. Love the smell of this in the box, so clean!

• Jody
    7 years ago

I was in our Big lots a while back and didn't see any of this. :(

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

I haven't used Sunlight since I got the FL but have used it in my TL'ers. Even using a cup full during an experiment in the TL it didn't suds...yes its a very nice detergent with a lovely light clean scent. I would not expect anyone liking scented clothes to like this though, since the end result doesn't leave clothes with a perfumed scent, just clean and fresh smelling.

• Laundry Mich
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I did a load of laundry with this today, along with Up & Up Spring Bloom. Everything came out smelling amazing ;)

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Mich...I did use the Sunlight several times in the Duet now on whites. Its really a good detergent, everything smells very fresh.

I haven't tried the Up and Up Spring Bloom, but have it at the front to try soon, did you have any suds problem with the Up and Up?

• Kathy W.
    7 years ago

I agree the Sunlight really is a good detergent. Both the powder and the liquid. I had to restrain myself from buying more this week as it was on sale for $6.88!!! CAD (reg $17.97) at my local Walmart for the large (96 load) size. Sooo hard! Lol.

• Laundry Mich
    Original Author
    7 years ago

You know it's interesting that you mention that... because I've noticed suds in deep-rinse cycles when I've been using Downy Fabric Softener. I can't say I've seen it with Spring Bloom, but.. it seems like a lot of Fabric Softeners will froth.. when there's enough water to splash around.

I don't get it.... but the clothes feel very soft, and I'd say they are rinsed. It's a bit of a mystery.

• Laundry Mich
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@Kathy W, haha... I'd have trouble passing that up too, that's a really good deal!!! :)

• Alex Chicago
    7 years ago

I have been using liquids exclusively lately (Tide TurboClean HE F/G) so it was time to do some powder loads to mix it up. I have a load of white towels and undershirts washing using some of the generous sample of Sunlight that MamaPinky sent me months ago. I had done one load with this in my Samsung and didn't care for it so it was back-burnered. I pulled it out today and think maybe the more reliable (and hotter) temps of the LiGi will give better results. I have it on 140F and just a tablespoon of unscented FS.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County