SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anna_pensgen

Before and After :: DIY kitchen reno

AP
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We just have to finish up some painting, pick and install a backsplash, install some lighting, finish putting knobs and doors on, some miscellaneous decorating ... & then we are DONE! i'm guessing it'll be ten years before those final items are checked off. Right? ;)

This is a 9 month DIY project, so we are feeling very thankful to have a working kitchen again.

Project info:

Cabinets :: Omega & Dynasty. Inset cabinet doors w/beading. Color is maple magnolia. I think there were 3 custom (omega) cabinets. The rest are Dynasty.

Countertops :: Caesarstone Quartz, London Grey

Reclaimed Floors :: pioneer millworks, Mid-character Oak

Bridge Faucet :: Rohl

Range & Hood :: 36” Bertazzoni (an improvement from the 24" stove!)

The BEFORE...

Comments (78)

• my_four_sons
    8 years ago

Gorgeous transformation -- I especially love the floors, windows, and the wallpaper in the foyer.

AP thanked my_four_sons
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    8 years ago

Very incredible! One of the most dramatic transformations that I've seen here! It is all beautiful.

I am wondering, what is the little square door on the far wall?

AP thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • Related Discussions

Kitchen Reno done! Before and after

Q

Comments (48)
    Phaedrus29 - we are thrilled with Snow Storm. We found the counters to be the hardest choice, since we knew we wanted green shaker cabinets. We wanted something that wasn't too stark white, not too yellow, and didn't have veining like "fake marble" but some kind of texture to it. Snow Storm is PERFECT. It wears beautifully and cleans easily, and the very subtle tonal circle pattern is really nice. It is a very neutral white - neither grey nor yellow, but a little bit warm. It is perhaps the thing we are most happy with which is great since it was such a hard find! I can send you some more photos if you like, do you have an email?
    ...See More

DIY bathroom reno finally complete! Before and after pics

Q

Comments (43)
    Just one side note, it was mostly DIY- all of the plumbing and tub installation was done by a plumber. And the plaster walls were resurfaced by a professional. They were pretty bad after removing the tile. And my husband wanted plaster not Sheetrock.
    ...See More

Kitchen before & after. Updating a dark wood 70s kitchen on a budget.

Q

Comments (12)
    hey lauribet - thank you! Yes, I think they go equally well with warm and cool tones. I'd describe Semonia as a a warmer grey. We have a lot of wood trim throughout our house (woohoo 70s decor haha). I wanted something modern but wouldn't look weird with all the wood, and think Semonia works really well. We love these floors -- have had them for 1.5 years now and they look good as new, even with our toddler smashing pots and pans on them. Good luck with your remodel! how fun!
    ...See More

Before and After 1900s Kitchen Reno

Q

Comments (4)
    Hi, I have the same exact gallery kitchen and looking for a island just like yours! Can you please give me the measurements? Thank you!
    ...See More
  • aries61
    8 years ago

Anna, glad to see the posting on Gardenweb side besides the Houzz side. I like the additional pics that you posted here.

Gardenweb users you should visit the Houzz side before and after sometimes. I originally saw this reveal there.

AP thanked aries61
  • Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

Just beautiful! Thank you for sharing!

AP thanked Nothing Left to Say
  • bpath
    8 years ago

I'm going to lay it right out there: the "before" was one ugly, unusable kitchen. The "after" is a dream come true. Wow :)

AP thanked bpath
  • lenzai
    8 years ago

Love it. Beautiful. Those windows and that floor! You did an excellent job.

AP thanked lenzai
  • MizLizzie
    8 years ago

Yep, game over indeed. Were it not for those shots that show glimpses of your foyer, I would have sworn you were pulling our leg. May you make many happy memories in your new space.

AP thanked MizLizzie
  • lannegreenelag
    8 years ago

I grew up with that linoleum pattern, it did look lovely with the harvest gold appliances. Very professional trim job. The crown is simple and proportional and let you get a lot of cabinet on the wall.

AP thanked lannegreenelag
  • malabacat
    8 years ago

Wow!

AP thanked malabacat
  • modellie
    8 years ago

Ditto what everybody else has said above. From incredibly ugly to fantastic!

And DIY too. I'm so impressed.

I would love to see a drawing or layout of your space, before and after. It would help me see how you got from that disaster of a kitchen to your beautifully open and bright space.

AP thanked modellie
  • bob_cville
    8 years ago

Given your starting point almost anything would be a major improvement. So I was expecting the change to be largely cosmetic, remove the brick, put down a new floor, paint the cabinets, move the pulls. Even that would have been a laudable achievement, especially done as DIY.

But you've gone far beyond "a laudable achievement". The "after" is superlative. It is beautiful, usable, workable, to the point where it would stand well in comparison to any "after" kitchen I've seen here on GW.

AP thanked bob_cville
  • AP
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you everyone for your kind words! Yes, our 'before' was pretty horrible. possibly worse than it even looks in the pictures. 24" stove with three working burners and the inside never fit any of our bake ware. none of the drawers inside the fridge matched, maybe they picked parts off of old refrigerators on the side of the road? parts of the countertop had been nailed down, other parts that had massive stains were painted white to cover the stains. The cast iron sink was essentially worn down to the metal, and again painted to cover it up.... i could go on and on...

bpathome you mention unusable. would you believe the previous owners had seven children, and their family of NINE ate at a table in the kitchen every day... even though there is a huge dining room adjacent to the kitchen.

jml248 ... we live near pioneer too! :)

enzaenza I struggle with this cabinet color choice. It is a VERY moody color with lots of undertones. You can see it in the the photos somewhat where the bright areas are soft and creamy other areas turn a darker gray/green/purple tone. ex. look at the cabinet above the fridge in the third after photo. I have found my color choice to be very limiting when i select other materials. I do like the way it has turned out... but i warn, this cabinet color is NOT easy. I really really really hope i don't tire of it.

raee_gw the square door is a laundry chute. one of the next steps is to do something along that wall for storage and to make the laundry chute less offensive.

jlc712 not an official box bay, but we did build the wall out 10" so the countertop could continue out behind the sink faucet. and the windows sit directly on the counter. I LOVE IT. this is probably one of my favorite things we did in the room.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR KIND WORDS! :)

• AP
    Original Author
    8 years ago

modellie .... I'll dig up some drawings for you later today!

• loonar29
    8 years ago

Totally amazing transformation! You are an inspiration to those considering DIY. Awesome outcome!!!

AP thanked loonar29
  • powermuffin
    8 years ago

Beautiful. The windows are incredible!

Diane

AP thanked powermuffin
  • chicagoans
    8 years ago

Beautiful! I love all of it and especially the floor and windows. And what a lovely house! Congrats and enjoy!

AP thanked chicagoans
  • Errant_gw
    8 years ago

It's lovely :)

AP thanked Errant_gw
  • Gooster
    8 years ago

Fantastic! And DIY! Unbelievable. What an achievement and transformation. When people say "I'd like some brick in their kitchen", I think your "before" is not what people were thinking. (so. much. brick).

AP thanked Gooster
  • LE
    8 years ago

Beautiful! But you scared me with those intermediate pix that seemed to have white cabs but the same floor and backsplash. My heart was sinking. What a relief to get to the finale! I can only imagine how thrilled you must be after all those months. And DIY?! Holy Cow! Time to reap the rewards now.

AP thanked LE
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    8 years ago

AnnaP, thanks, I thought it might be -- the house I grew up in (built 1914) had those also. I love the built ins in old houses, don't think it detracts at all from the space!

My cabinet color is a complex one also (Martha Stewart 'Gull') and at first I thought that I had made a big mistake -- but as time goes on I find that I do really like the way it changes through the day from a sort of cream in the morning to almost gray in evening. But yes, the other colors have to accommodate it, and I repainted the wall and trim because my first colors weren't quite right.

AP thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • mgmum
    8 years ago

Wow, it's amazing! So the little peninsula is the cabinet with the under counter microwave? Where is the fridge now? I see it is no longer in the "eating nook." I find it hard to believe what some people will live with!

AP thanked mgmum
  • Kimmy_MA
    8 years ago

I can't even...I really don't even know that there's anything left to say! It's absolutely beautiful!

AP thanked Kimmy_MA
  • smalloldhouse_gw
    8 years ago

Wow, that is an incredible transformation. It blows my mind to think it was DIY. You must have some serious skills! Your end result is so gorgeous, congratulations! I especially love your "moody" cabinet color!

AP thanked smalloldhouse_gw
  • kelleg69
    8 years ago

Fantastic job!! Are the cabinets a shade of white? Kind of hard to tell. The London Grey quartz looks great with them.

AP thanked kelleg69
  • funkycamper
    8 years ago

LoriIntheNW's comment made me chuckle because I, too, just got to the pictures with white cabinets and white painted brick and thought "oh, no!" And then a few seconds later I saw your final kitchen and said "WOW!!!!" Awesome job.

AP thanked funkycamper
  • nancyjwb
    8 years ago

Beautiful! I will have to look closer when I get to a computer, but from what I see here, wow. So far my favorite parts are the faucet and your floors.

i love that it's diy, and it looks so perfect. Sometimes I think diy is disparaged as likely to be a hack job, better not attempted unless you're a professional. So glad to see this!

• Shelley Graham
    8 years ago

Absolutely stunning! You've really created a perfect space! Can't wait to see how you top it off with the backsplash. Good job...

• lmgch
    8 years ago

OMG - amazing work!!! absolutely gorgeous!

• mabeldingeldine
    8 years ago

wowzer! seriously gorgeous, and functional, too. congrats!

• lazy_gardens
    8 years ago

But the BRICK ... the lovely exposed brick!

How could you ruin the tacky 1960s esthetic of the house by replacing all that brick?

/end sarcasm

• lisa_a
    8 years ago

lol, lazy gardens, I was going to post something quite similar!

A neighbor of ours in the '60s had a kitchen that wasn't far different from your before, AnnaP, except that it had carpet not vinyl floors. I thought it was so (as we said in those days) groovy! But the look doesn't age well at all.

First off, I can not believe this was DIY. Holy Cow, hats off to you and DH and your team! I have scrolled up and down several times since you posted your reveal, taking it all in.

What an amazing transformation! So many things to love! The glass knobs, the windows over the sink, the view, the mix of vintage and contemporary touches, and the overall sense of elegant serenity.

I love your cabinet color. It works so well with your floors and counters and the DR's blue walls.

Love the ceiling light. It suits your home's vintage so much better than the ceiling fan did. Are the pendants over the peninsula similar to it?

Are you planning to keep that small bit of wallpaper over the door to the stairs? I kinda dig it as a nod to one of your home's many lives.

PS I love your shoes, too. =)

• Amber
    8 years ago

Wow! Absolutely amazing! I love all of the rooms pictured as well; your dining room in that dark blue is beautiful and I adore the wallpaper in the hall (foyer?)

• AP
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here is the general idea of the floor plan, before and after.

• AP
    Original Author
    8 years ago

lisa_a .... i will probably be switching out the main light which was put in as a temp light to get rid of the awful fan a few years ago. the pendants over the peninsula are also glass globes. TOO similar. Too much glass globeyness (that should be a word).
    and yes... the wallpaper over the back stair is staying. GREAT eye to notice that!! :)

• lisa_a
    8 years ago

and yes... the wallpaper over the back stair is staying. GREAT eye to notice that!! :)

Didn't hurt that I spent quite a bit of time looking at your reveal pics, taking it all in before I finally posted. =) Love that you're keeping the wallpaper.

...glass globeyness (that should be a word).

I agree!

• mydreamhomeideas
    8 years ago

Amazing!!!

• perky_2
    8 years ago

Ditto to the below post by amck2 Totally jaw dropping!

Thud! I couldn't believe the difference when I scrolled down to the After!

I've been following GW kitchens for years and I can't remember many reveals that were as jaw-dropping. What a great transformation. And it's a DIY?! Congrats to you for having the vision and skills to create this beautiful kitchen.

• CEFreeman_GW DC/MD Burbs 7b/8a
    8 years ago

Annap, I have a very, very "first" to give you. Now, keeping in mind I've been around GW since 2004. I've looked at millions of kitchens. No joke. millions. Then Houzz was invented and I looked at trillions. Then Pinterest. Ka-zillions! My point?

For the very first time ever. EVER. I got goosebumps up my arms and legs.
    I was boggling at how anyone could ever think that white and awful, depressing brick could go together. But what else could they do!? I knew immediately you were trying to brighten up that kitchen in that intermediate picture.

(Did I inspire the feet pictures!? You, demurely covering your toes with lacy little shoes!)

Then...
    THEN...!

Holy moly it's absolutely gorgeous.
    Not only do I live and breathe for beaded inset, I LOOOOOOOve the colors. Your finish choices are beautiful. That faucet speaks to me like no other chrome faucet has EVER spoken to me. It calls my name..."Chrrriiiiistiiinnnneee... don't be jealous. I'm taaaaaakennnn."
    A complete reconfiguration! Those windows are not important, vs. in the way. An absolutely great use of space!

I'd love to see the smaller details at some point. With a kitchen like this, with so much thought, I'd like to see what you did INSIDE your spaces now.

Geeze. Two kitchens in one day that exemplify what we're all about here: Beautiful and functional spaces. And eye candy. yea. Eye candy. Or just candy. Candy will do.

MORE CANDY!

• romy718
    8 years ago

Just plain gorgeous! Love that space behind your sink. Beautiful floors. Do your shoes match your cabinet color?

• AP
    Original Author
    8 years ago

CEFreeman_GW .... wow :) i am honored. I plan on finishing up all the undone details and i PROMISE a full post w/ details. stay tuned!

8 years ago

I look forward to it.

I realized I wasn't clear about the windows. In the 'before' they just seemed to be in the way. With the sink moved, it's like it should have always been that way.

I keep coming back to look.

• Mags438
    8 years ago

Fabulous kitchen!

• mabeldingeldine
    8 years ago

Amazing! I missed this post, and am so glad someone linked it to the best reveals thread. What a beautiful and functional transformation! And DIY! makes it super impressive.

How do you like your Berta range? And what color is the dining room , I love it!

• amyfgib
    8 years ago

What a stunning transformation! That window over the sink + that faucet = heaven! I love the "moody" color of the cabinets.

8 years ago

I'm so glad this got bumped up again. It's just a really nice, inspiring kitchen. Love to look at such great work!

• AP
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Sorry it took me so long to respond here. mabeldingeldine, we LOVE the range! and the dining room is Sherwin Williams "Outerspace"

Still no update on tile since I last posted. I fear I may never decide. Also stuck on making some decisions with light fixtures. I may have gotten myself in a pickle with the lights, i'll post later to see what you all think.

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

Absolutely stunning. Love, love the colors.

• kksmama
    8 years ago

I would never have been able to see past that kitchen to buy that house. What you've done is absolutely amazing. I hope you enjoy many years in that home, and that if you ever sell it I'm shopping in your area because now I could never see past that kitchen and choose another.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago

It's just as wonderful as everyone has said, but I have to say I would have loved it even more if the afters hadn't been shot with so much wide angle lens distortion. It's a great kitchen; it can be shown the size it really is.

8 years ago

Annap, don't worry about a couple of months or a couple of years, actually to make finish choices.

Really. Think about it. If you go with something that's not AH HA THAT'S IT, you'll end up changing it and wasting money.

I'm here to tell ya'.

After all. I installed reuse center cabinets.
    I reconfigured, gave them away or redonated, and built most of the next set myself.
    Then. I. Discovered. That. Beaded inset. SCREAMED my name.
    I gave all those away/donated and started again, with yet another reconfiguration.
    (Then I moved my refrigerator into the mudroom and cut off the peninsula, but kept the cabinets.)

So just take it easy and go with what you love. I think I might put a sticky on it or something, so you don't get used to it. That way, something vaguely annoying that you remember you don't like will remain a (dare i? Sticking point) something to address.

How are you enjoying those gorgeous windows?

AP thanked CEFreeman_GW DC/MD Burbs 7b/8a