SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cindywhitall

Is it horrible we went in backyard of vacant for sale home?

cindywhitall
8 years ago

Son wants to buy a house. Hubby is co-signing (that part is not up for discussion here!)

he called us after he had seen it and liked it and we went over while he was still there, but by then it was dark and rainy so we only saw inside which was nice, but smaller than what he really wants.

he made an offer that was accepted but still in the contract signing process. Seller does not seem to live there as most personal stuff is gone except for a little junk in some closets. When we came out that night he came from across the street,or a car, and said he wanted to make sure every thing was off.

Yesterday hubby and I went over in daylight and wandered around the backyard, we peeked in the shed to see it's condition. The yard is fenced across the front, but the two side are neighbors fences, separated from the front fence by about 6 inches. No fence across the back. The back is open to farmland (not the houses property). We saw a lot of junk alongside the shed and behind it and some at the back edge of the yard.

I emailed son my concerns about the property so he could discuss with the realtor for the contract. I cc'd his girlfriend who lives with him, they have a young baby. I thought she would like to be aware and could discuss it with him.

she apparently is mad. She is friends with the realtor (her moms best friend) and sort of knows the sellers girlfriend (identified by photo on wall). They aren't buddies but went to high school together or something. She sent me an email that said (I changed the names)

"I'm not commenting on the contract concerns at all because I believe they are between son, Seller, and the realtors. However, you can not continue to go to the property and let yourself into the backyard/shed. Although Sons offer has been accepted, he does not own the home yet. You are Trespassing by going anywhere on the property without a realtor and appointment. If Seller comes home to find you or anyone of us on his property without permission, I'm sure he will not be happy. Just wanted to let you know, I don't want Son and myself to look bad if our family is caught trespassing on the property. "

i wrote that I understand her concerns but that i don't think he would have minded since we are serious buyers (offer accepted!) and that most sellers wouldn't mind a serious buyer taking a look. He was not home and not living there. I told her since we are consigning that we wanted to make sure it was all good back there. Son and H have to sign the contract so we needed info before they get signed.

Perhaps we shouldn't have gone back there, but just wondered if she over reacted with her email to me. I apologized for not considering how it could be awkward for her if he had come home, but also,said I don't think he would have cared that much. I feel like it is a mountain being made out of a mole hill.

Comments (82)