SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ncfaz

Who pays for secondary damage from failed roof repair?

C F
8 years ago

A few months ago we had some leaks in our roof. One of the leaks was small and around the chimney in our living room with cathedral ceilings. The only reason we even knew about the leak is I saw evidence of water damage (crown molding separating from ceiling, cracking in caulking around crown molding). I'm a perfectionist and wanted all possible areas of water intrusion looked at.

We hired a contractor, who hired his favorite roofer sub. The reason for the contractor is because we had various small issues around the house, and I would rather pay a contractor's percentage and have someone to manage things with than deal with unreliable subs.

Anyway, the roofers supposedly repaired the area around the chimney. We spent $1000 total for 2 roof leak repairs (chimney and a large repair in another part of roof). Last week, I had the entire ceiling and walls of the massive living room painted.

We have had really heavy rain all day today, and I now have an active water leak in the ceiling of my master bedroom in the area that shares a wall with the chimney. I've already called the contractor, and he seems perplexed, saying we have had a decent amount of rain since the repairs so he doesn't see why this is just now happening. He's going to bring the roofers out to repair as soon as possible, but probably won't be for a few more days.

Here's my question-- I now have what I can tell is going to be some drywall damage and at the very least the need for repainting a stained ceiling in my master bedroom. The new paint around the chimney in the living room is now bubbling in one corner, and the crown molding has again separated around the caulk. It's no small job to touch up these areas, as the painters who just did it required 20 ft ladders.

Am I being unreasonable to expect the contractor or roofer to make these repairs? I can already tell the contractor is going to be like "well, the master ceiling is a new leak, everything was fixed when they left 2 months ago, something must have changed since then." But I feel like I relied on their expertise to fix the roof to begin with and any damage caused by that same area is their responsibility. Any thoughts?

Comments (13)