SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
azwater

Water Softener type and size?

azwater
8 years ago

Hi all,

First let me say thanks for all the great information hanging around this forum. Here's my situation I need help with.

Everything I thought I knew, after reading the posts here, I'm officially throwing out the window as folklore. You should therefore consider me a blank slate.

The project: I'm working on an old home built in the 1930's that's been updated through the years. The plumbing is in good order (15% galvanized 75% copper 10% Wirsbo) but the homeowner is concerned about excessive hard water mineral deposits on all her taps, appliances, and showers. I've been tasked with the job of researching the best solution for softening and filtration.

The vitals: This is a small family of two that lives in a 2000 sq ft home, 2 baths, laundry, and kitchen all on city of Tucson, AZ water. About three months a year the mother comes and occupies a guest house that has a bath and kitchen in additional 700 sq ft. Overall the entire family is water conscious so I'm sure they fall in the standard daily water use per person values.

Type: Whole house point of entry system
Water Source: City of Tucson Water Water Quality Zone 4
Supply: 1" Scheduled 40 ABS
Distribution: 1/2" supply to fixtures
People: 2 with guests on occasion 4 max
Hardness: 238 mg/L
pH: 7.8
TDS: 491 mg/L
Sodium: 64 mg/L
Iron: .23 ppm
Particulates: https://www.tucsonaz.gov/files/water/docs/ccr2014.pdf
City Water Report August 2015: https://www.tucsonaz.gov/files/water/docs/wq201508.pdf

Required needs: Softening and Filtration system - Low Maintenance / Best value for use (meaning they'd rather have a higher upfront cost than paying for expensive filters every 6 months or having to replace salt too often). They wanted a no salt system but I don't think I can get reliable softening without it, especially since hardness is their chief complaint, open to options.

Concern: There's a low volume low pressure drip irrigation installed at the end of line in the house supply. It would be ideal to interrupt the water system at point of entry to place the softener and filtration. Re-plumbing the irrigation would be a major undertaking though I understand there's concerns about having the irrigation on a soft / conditioned water system, I need solutions for this.

I hope that's everything you'll need. I look forward to your unbiased professional advice. I'm looking for manufacturer, type, size, special requirements resin, gravel bed, etc.

Thank you.

Comment (1)