SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tomaters

Water Softener Sizing Help

tomaters
10 years ago

Hi Everyone,

Just moved into a house a few weeks back and am looking to buy a water softener. The previous owners were leasing a softener from one of the local propane companies and were paying quite a bit per month for it. I did call around and quotes from local companies were a lot more than I was wanting to pay, so I went ahead and got my water tested from an independent lab (through my county Health Department) and plan on doing the job myself with some help from family.
Here is the info:
-Well water (nonchlorinated) with 40-50 PSI reading at the pressure tank in the basement
-SFR of 7 gpm measured at outside hose bib (no bathtubs in the house had separate valves for hot/cold)
-House is 1950 sqft and technically 4 levels (basement that has sink, washer, hot water heater, and will have softener. No water fixtures on lower level, sink and dishwasher on main level, and two bathrooms on upper level, each with normal bath/shower (no high pressure Jacuzzis or hot tubs)
-All plumbing is 3/4 " copper
-Currently 3 people living in the house (myself, wife, and 8 month old son)- likely having another child in the next 1-2 years
Water Results:
Total Hardness: 400 mg/L (~23.4 gpg)
Iron: Less than 80 micrograms/Liter
Manganese: Less than 30 micrograms/Liter
Sodium: Less than 5.0 mg/Liter
Mercury: Less than 0.5 micrograms/Liter
Lead: Less than 5 micrograms/Liter
pH: 7.20
TDS: 468 mg/L
Chlorine � Not tested (on private nonchlorinated well)
E coli and nitrates negative

Based on the numbers, with 3 of us using ~60 gallons each per day (estimate), we would use about 29484 grains in 7 days. If you account for possibly adding another in the next 1-2 years, with 4 of us using ~60 gallons/day it would equate to 39312 grains in 7 days.
What would you guys recommend for a softener and size? I am currently looking at the Fleck 5600 SXT (since it uses 3/4" plumbing which my house currently has). For sizing, I was thinking of either 1.5 cuft or 2.0 cuft. If I am correct, the 1.5 cubic foot would be most efficient now (would use 9 pounds of salt and get about 32000 grain capacity from it, regenerating every 7-8 days) but if we have another child added to the family it may be slightly undersized (regenerating every ~6 days at 9 pounds of salt/regen) If I get the 2.0 cuft it will be a little bit less efficient now because it would be too big but would be able to handle another family member (set at 12 pounds of salt/regen would get about 40k removal capacity every 7 days)... Would I have to worry about channeling issues with the 2 cuft in the mean time before having another child, or isn't the difference large enough? I guess if you compare the total salt consumption between the two with 4 total family members, it is pretty equal ( 45 lbs salt/month with 1.5 cu ft and 48 lbs salt/month with 2.0 cu ft), but salt consumption would be higher in the mean time with the 2.0 cu ft (would be using 36 lbs salt/month with 1.5 and about 48 lbs salt/month with 2.0)

Other questions: Would you guys recommend a top basket and/or gravel bed for this set up? I've seen multiple posts in the past that these are recommended, although the companies will tell you otherwise.
Noryl or stainless steel for yoke and bypass? Do I need both a yoke and a bypass?
Which type of resin? Is it worth the extra ~$70 bucks to get Purolite C100E 8% crosslink resin versus the NSF approved 8% crosslink resin that comes standard with the softener?

Thank you to everyone in advance for the input. I really appreciate any help I can get!.

-Jim in Ohio

Comments (9)