SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fredjmillard

Advice for a overall concept and plan for new construction.

Fred M
8 years ago

Hello HVAC houzz,

My wife and I are building a home next spring north of Metro Detroit. We have received great advice from the build a home section on various things, mainly floor plan layout.

The home itself will be roughly 2900 feet two story, walkout basement, with a two story great room. In the two story great room I am planning on a high efficiency wood burning insert of likes of a Quadra-Fire 7100. There is also natural gas available.

I believe we will be going with a Superior Wall Xi foundation that has an R value of 12.5 and SIP's exterior walls, with a truss and attic roof. So the home should be very well insulated and have minimal air infiltration. The house will face north and have some nice southern exposure.

I am very interested in creating an energy efficient home for good value, So I ask what would be a good approach to take for the HVAC. What type of systems and sizes should I be looking at? With the SIPS paneling you cant run anything in the exterior walls except electrical.

Attached are the floor plans. I figure I will put the mechanical room in the basement near the stairwell.

Comments (4)