SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Making Pasta

John Liu
8 years ago

This weekend, Daughter-san came home from college and we played around with making pasta.

This is new to me. Well, about 25 years ago I think I had an electric pasta extruder, back when those were briefly popular. It was used a few times. I don't think I actually learned anything about making pasta. For some Chinese dishes (dumplings, onion pancakes, etc) I make dough, but it is just flour and water, or flour and oil. I've made bread and pizza dough, but that seems pretty different from pasta.

I have a Fantes manual pasta roller that I bought on a whim a few years ago and never used. I think it cost $35. So we unpacked it, got some AP flour, cake flour and semolina flour, and had at it. We used a recipe of 10 oz flour, 2 eggs, 4 egg yolks, 1 tsp salt, kneaded then wrapped in plastic for about 30 min before rolling. We folded the dough a couple times at the "1" setting (thickest), then proceeded to "7" for ravioli, "5" for linguini and spaghetti.

The results were interesting although uneven. The 100% AP flour dough was pretty unsatisfactory: tough and pale. The 100% cake flour dough was better: still pale, not tough. The 50% cake flour/50% semolina flour dough was yet better: yellow and smoother. The 30% cake flour/70% semolina flour was also okay, in a different way: yellower, also smooth, but with a grittier surface and harder to roll. Cooked, it was similar to the 50%/50% dough. None were my ideal dough, so I will have to keep experimenting.

The ravioli fillings also needed some work. I made a pulled pork filling (pork shoulder coated with sugar/salt and pressure cooked, pulled apart with forks, mixed with cooked and minced mushrooms, moistened with reduced pork stock), a veal filling (ground veal, mixed with minced garlic onion celery carrot, also anchovy paste and minced arugula), a pesto filling (basil, sage, garlic, almonds, parmesan cheese). The veal filling didn't cook fully in the 2 minutes that the ravioli required, so I had to precook little pats of that filling before making the raviolis. The pork and pesto fillings were more successful.

Anyway, this experiment was promising enough that we'll continue trying pasta making. At college, she has a Hobart/Kitchenaid mixer, so I think I will get her the Kitchenmaid pasta roller/cutter set for XMas. I'll keep using the manual roller. We also have some grooved rolling pins that SWMBO uses for pottery, that I could possibly repurpose for pasta.

What tips would you offer for a beginning pasta maker? More eggs? Different flour? Secret ingredients?

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022