SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lucillle

Online grocery shopping?

lucillle
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Walmart is starting online grocery shopping, you order online, make an appointment to pick up, they load the groceries in your car. Some stuff like avocadoes I'm very picky and have to choose myself, but a lot of stuff is brand name, and some stuff like one pound packages of ground beef are pretty much identical.

Anyone tried this? They are minutes away from me and are offering a 10% off first order so I will try it (next week, after the flood danger is gone).

Comments (27)

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    8 years ago

I think it's a great idea especially for those who have difficulty walking around the stores. I would be willing to give it a try. I know some of my elderly neighbors have to rely on friends and family members to get their groceries for them, this would really be a time saver for those people.

• socks
    8 years ago

I had groceries delivered by a local grocery store when I was on crutches. You can take your time shopping online, then review the order before you place it. The produce was always fine. It was extremely convenient and very, very helpful. I bet you'll like it, Lucille.

• Related Discussions

Online grocery shopping?

Q

Comments (21)
    We have online grocery shopping here too. I used to order my groceries from Albertsons. I ordered everything thru them. I got the best of the produce and the best of the meat, probably because they wanted to keep people ordering online. They would bring it into my kitchen if I asked, but I always just had them deliver it to the garage, since I had cabinets out there for food storage, along with the extra refrigerator/freezer and freezer. I did this when I was working 60-80 hours a week. I detest grocery shopping and have often thought of going back to ordering online...but we live just 3 blocks from the grocery store and I would feel lazy doing so. :) However, they are "reorganizing" the Albertsons...and it really drives me crazy trying to find things. It sure is tempting. The site says no tipping...but I did anyway...and the driver always appreciated it.
    ...See More

on-line groceries

Q

Comments (12)
    I've never used a delivery service -- thankfully haven't needed to. But I did just look at the web page of a locally owned grocery store that advertises delivery service. They have a $30 minimum order, plus $6.95 to take it to you. (I didn't look at the delivery area, probably it's within a certain mile radius?) You have to choose a two-hour window to receive the delivery, and a responsible party has to be there to accept it or they take it back and there's a $20 restocking fee. There's other fine print about final cost may differ due to substitutions, etc. So, my advice -- take it easy, take advantage of it, but see if you can find your store on line and read the fine print. Hope your recovery goes well :-)
    ...See More

What are you sewing this week? April 5-12

Q

Comments (8)
    Today I will finish up 11 more masks and then I really am finished with them, no more elastic. I did do some with ties, but also out of bias tape. I could make some ties myself, but the jury is out on that. I have the pattern for DGD’s wedding quilt but I am going to make up a smaller version just to work out the construction/instructions before tackling the big one. And anyway, the background fabric is on order. Already have done some cutting for the smaller one. While cutting out the masks, I created a LOT of string type pieces so I think I will set up a machine on the kitchen table and start sewing string blocks. I was looking for interfacing to use on the masks, couldn’t find any but I did find some washable stabilizer. I am thinking I can use that instead of paper for string piecing. Will it work? Theresa
    ...See More

Buying different groceries than normal?

Q

Comments (35)
    Frozen sliced red peppers, jarred roasted red peppers, these are not thing I normally buy but do now. We do 1 big shop every 17 days or so, in between I can get local fresh veg at a farm, but that is limited to what is grown in greenhouse and storage crops. Speaking of storage crops, thank goodness for cabbage! Last night a head of red was the center of our meal: Braised red cabbage, with focaccia and a pork tenderloin. The night before it was Napa, stir fried with frozen edamame, and garlic tofu. Kim chi broth quinoa bowls also made the meal plan.
    ...See More
  • plllog
    8 years ago

Well, if you're there already you can choose your avocados and let them do the rest. I don't see the point of it, however, unless you're going at a superbusy time, and you don't pick up your own stuff so can avoid crowds and lines.

I often have reason to have groceries delivered. I've used the big chain store, when it was the only one delivering, but I don't care for their produce, and won't buy their meat, so it was really desperation measures. They're also prone to more misunderstandings and poor choices.

OTOH, I love Instacart. They're an app based service (though they also have a website, which I find a lot easier to use). I think they're only in a few major urban areas, though, whereas Walmart is mostly in smaller towns and the country. Instacart sends actual shoppers to stores I prefer to shop at, and you can tell them what you want, like green bananas or firm eggplants. They're not perfect, but no worse than sending your nephew, and often far better. :) They try and they're really customer oriented. I'm never disappointed with the produce since it's from the stores I regularly shop at, and they have a shopper picking it, rather than a stockboy (i.e., working for you, not the store). The thing is, when someone is doing that kind of good work for one, one must tip quite well. It's not required, but that's how they make the money that allows them to spend the time to shop your order. So it's not cheap! I think it's worth it, however.

• User
    8 years ago

I have never used Walmart's service....but do use a similar service called Peapod. You select whatever groceries you want from the participating store's website, place your order and then Peapod delivers your order. I believe they also offer the service that Walmart is now offering...i.e. order and pick up at the store. I have never tried the store pickup but I have used the home delivery service quite often during the icy, snowy winter months and I've been more than satisfied with their service.

I've always opted out of their "substitution" option [if a particular brand name I ordered is not available] because I like my brands for their particular ingredients. But, I've always been pleased and amazed at how well their in store shopper has filled my fresh produce orders. I swear they have a secret stash behind closed doors that the store shopping public never sees. The produce is very fresh, clean, firm where firm is preferred and more than satisfactory where all other requirements are involved.

I don't eat much meat but I went through a passion for loin lamb chops during my last winter shopping period and there, too, the in store shopper excelled.

Perhaps it's just my local market...but I have to say that aside from a very minimal hike in some item prices...plus a comfortable "tip"...which I was more than willing to pay for the safe comfort of ordering from within my warm home...I've always been more than pleased and will continue with their services this winter. I should also mention that my orders are placed with the store that I normally use throughout the rest of the year so I'm very familiar with them.

• cynic
    8 years ago

The big dog in the area for groceries has a similar operation. Never tried Walmart. For me, if it's the basics, non-refrigerated/frozen I wouldn't hesitate. Not sure how they are on keeping things cold during this process. Seeing the pallets of frozen/refrigerated sitting on the floor for a long time when I'm in the stores, I'm suspicious of their handling of spoilables. Now that they aren't open 24 hrs anymore I don't go to Walmart much anymore. Don't like dealing with the crowds and a lot of the clientèle. I've never been pleased with produce from Walmart either so there's only certain things I get from them grocery-wise.

Another concern is how it works when you pick it up. Do you have to go in and stand in line and wait at customer service and then wait for someone to find the order and bring it out? If so, a small grocery order could easily be picked and purchased in that time. Around here they don't exactly overstaff the customer service counter.

If you try it, let us know how it goes.

• lucillle
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Cynic they say that one has to make an appointment for pickup and go to the 'pickup location'. Certainly a lot of the convenience factor would be lost if I had to park, go inside, and tell them I was there. I will let y'all know how it goes.

I actually don't mind grocery shopping except when it is very cold or very hot outside, or during a holiday weekend when the store is crowded.

But so many of the things I buy, I buy the same every big shopping I do which is once a month, so it might be worthwhile if all goes well to use this service for the big shopping and buy the items where selection is important to me on a smaller shopping trip.

• satine_gw
    8 years ago

My daughter shops this way exclusively. She places her order via the stores website and tells them when she will pick it up. When she gets to the store she pulls into a special space that has a speaker and lets them know she is there. They bring out her order (and a cookie for each of her kids) and load her car. On the rare occasion there is a mistake they fix it. Once they forgot to load a bag so delivered it to her home and once she had a bag that didn't belong to her and they told her to keep it.

• grainlady_ks
    8 years ago

Getting groceries is my main outing each week. I love this task and all the preparation I make with inventory, meal plans, coupons, and checking the ads. I shop early in the morning to avoid a crowded store. The clerks, baggers, and many of the store employees "know" me. The man in the meat department will keep back bargains for me (that's how I get all my 1/2-price lean ground turkey ;-), or he makes sure he points the unadvertised bargains out at the store. We always have a chat each week.

It's more about the hunt for bargains for me. Home food storage is all about planning and buying food at the lowest possible price -- clearance items, unadvertised and manager's specials are a main source you won't find by shopping on-line. I'd hate to do it on-line, but my daughter would love this method.

• wildchild2x2
    8 years ago

I'm afraid I'm too picky. Even with cans and boxes I check that the packaging is intact, the cans aren't dented and for the longest expiration dates. Grocery shopping is really the only type of shopping I don't mind. That and home improvement and hardware stores.

A bit off topic but does anyone remember the super stores that back in the day allowed you to grocery shop and they would hold your items in cold storage while you shopped the rest of the store? On the west coast in the Bay Area GEMCO stores operated like that.

• artemis_ma
    8 years ago

I'd rather trust myself to pick out the best produce and the best seafood. As for avocados, when I buy them I select three at a time -- ready to eat... maybe in a couple days... the last ready to eat in four days. I don't think I could describe this to the people selecting food for me.

When I broke my leg several years back, my parents kindly picked up a shopping list for me. I had requested bluefish -- it was NOT a good piece of fish, and they did know their seafood. I guess they just got me the best looking of a bad lot. So actually when I personally shop for seafood, I simply go by what inspires me in the case that evening (or early morning if it is a weekend) -- no set plans for which fish, usually.

At any rate, I like the idea of online ordering that they would deliver, as one of our supermarkets now has -- good to have such info around in case I'm again incapacitated. Otherwise, if I can drive to the store, I'll go in and select what I want, and I'll pick hours that are generally clear of too many other people.

• plllog
    8 years ago

Artemis, I've done things like that with Instacart. Before they leave the store, they call you to discuss things that aren't available or that they have questions about. When I asked for bananas as green as possible recently, my shopper told me they were all very yellow and going brown so he would get some if I wanted them but he figured I didn't. Correctly. :) Say it just like you told us about the avocados, as ask them to ask the produce guy if they're not sure.

Agreed about being able to choose what looks good. Some things you can ask for, others you just have to see what's there. Eventually, they'll have interactive. :) It's a godsend for when you just can't go to the store. Otherwise, of course, I'd rather do my own shopping. :)

• artemis_ma
    8 years ago

Pillog, I like that interactive feature! I'm faced with (driving) knee endoscopy in the near future, and I'd love to know that the pickers can and WILL do that. But I don't know if Instacart is in this area. We do have PeaPod. I may decide to buy up a few things in advance, but for some produce -- those avos! -- that's not practical. I mean, if my own food-savvy parents picked me a revolting piece of bluefish (without saying, yeah, I know you requested this but it's pretty bad today so we didn't buy it), what can I expect from people I don't know? (On the other paw, at that point none of us had cell phones, it was late 1990's.)

• User
    8 years ago

I wouldn't have a problem trying a service like that if the need arose. I think it's a great idea especially for Seniors or someone in need. I just wouldn't use Walmart; I quit shopping there a long time ago for a number of reasons. I did use a service many many years ago when we lived in California and the idea had first emerged. Though expensive, it was an excellent experience. The fruits and vegetables they sent were gorgeous.

• adellabedella_usa
    8 years ago

It would be a nice service to use during cold and flu season.

• lucillle
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Am having second thoughts. Made a grocery list and went to reserve a time, apparently the notice they sent that the service was 'in my area' did not refer to my local store and I will have to drive over 10 miles to the closest store with this service. That makes it much less of a convenience.

• plllog
    8 years ago

Katlan, that is a great story! There's nothing in the world like dealing with actual people.

There's another delivery service with some good market penetration called PostMates. Their original shtick was that they'd deliver anything anywhere, mostly from a store to you. Their promotional materials still say that, and there's apparently a way to still do that (which I haven't found). In scaling up, with more clients who are less generous with the tips, they've focused on prepared food delivery along with some basic items you might find at a convenience store, making them more like a gourmet version of Pink Dot. They might still be able to do the cold meds and soup run, even if you can't find the anything part.

If you find a store that is willing to assemble the order for pickup--which a lot of them will do--and take payment over the phone, you can also have it delivered by a taxicab or Uber or even a messenger service (automobile, not bike. :) ).There's also Amazon Fresh, which is only available near/in large population areas. I haven't used them, but they have same day delivery and a wide variety of products. I don't think I'd want them choosing zucchini for me, except if I were desperate, but they would have the mix of cold meds, soup and OJ. Though around here, we also have the big chain grocery that will deliver those things, too.

• kathleen44
    8 years ago

I like to check out foods myself as its a huge problem what is good out there as so much is bad or so outdated and do they check for all that? I don't know? Also looks, I like to check like chicken, meats what they look like and also fruits,veggies. Alot of times I had found moldy fruit and wouldn't buy those but would someone you phone in or on the internet would?

Its hard for elderly,etc. that can't go shopping get that service, not much choice, in fact very little here and so I don't know what ones do that can't shop if you don't have friends or family that can do it for you.

I have seen so much wrong stuff out there they are forcing you to buy and I am like no way, its too costly to buy bad foods.

kathy

• cynic
    8 years ago

Yes Lucillle that is a consideration. That's a 20 mile round trip and probably a special trip at that so you need to factor in driving expense too.

A friend of mine used one of the high-end stores in the area to deliver her groceries. They'd put things away, in refrigerator, freezer and cupboards so there was no carrying at all. She loved it. She hated going to the store at all so it was worth it to her. But they stopped delivering to her area. She was one unhappy gal when that happened!

There was also a company called Simon Delivers who delivered things in the area. I thought about using them but never did. They were bought out by Coborn's and they're a very good store so I wouldn't hesitate to use them if the need should arise but at this point I still prefer to pick out my own stuff.

• Elmer J Fudd
    8 years ago

Hopefully my days of limited mobility are still a decade or two away. Until then, I'm a grocery store's dream customer. I wander the aisles and departments to see what strikes me and looking for inspiration. It's fun to shop impulsively and come home with things I had no prior plan to get. I don't get carried away spending wise, I just like it better to choose what looks good rather than be stuck with a decision made without current information.

Shopping by internet and delivery certainly makes sense for those who have trouble getting out, are ill or too busy to do basic shopping.

• LucyStar1
    8 years ago

For grocery delivery like Peapod, what is the appropriate amount to tip when they deliver?

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    8 years ago

I can see where that would be a great service, especially if they delivered to your home. Sometime it might be the only way folks would be able to get their groceries. If my girls didn't shop for me, I might need something like that.

Sue

• maggie200
    8 years ago

I use Harris Teeter and make my list up online. I can see everything that is on sale and there are pictures of each item. They are wonderful. Their express service is very professional young people. If I want certain cuts of mean, they tell the butcher or the produce guy will pick out the best melon. They put the refrigerated item in a refrigerator and frozen item in a freezer. I drive to the express lane and push the button and they come out and put everything in my car. I allow substitutions and they will call me to confirm. I have never been disappointed. The cost is $4.95 and sometimes the order is free. I cannot walk around the store. It is the best. It takes 10 minutes for me to go there and come back. I hope this info is useful to someone.

• User
    8 years ago

My husband is ill and I can't leave him for more than a few minutes at a time. I use PeaPod home delivery and have been very happy with them.

• sjerin
    8 years ago

Granny, I'm sorry your life is difficult right now, and hope you get some help and respite from time to time.

• lucillle
    Original Author
    8 years ago

+1, and I hope your husband gets better.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    8 years ago

I hope your husband gets better soon too Jackie, I know what it is like to have to stay with a husband all the time.

Sue