SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
docmom_mn_zone_5

What does your wintersowing work station look like?

docmom_gw
8 years ago

I'm always curious how others manage the process of dealing with dirt and seeds in the winter and usually in their houses. I'd like to seed how each of us is preparing and what that looks like. I'm lucky to have a spacious basement laundry area with a typical square laundry sink and an old kitchen counter for folding laundry and "working". The photo below is looking at my pile of prepared winter sowing containers and an open bale of ProMix Potting medium in the lower right.

This pile sits at the end of a long, narrow room with washer, dryer, sink on one side and the counter top and cupboards on the other side. There is a light set up that I hope to use for starting very heat-loving plants like peppers, coleus, zinnias, and Mexican Sunflowers. Having this available has only served to strengthen my reliance on wintersowing as the most free of complications.

This year, I have decided to switch from milk jugs to the containers you see stacked there. Some are clear plastic, bulk, candy containers. Others are how I purchase my breakfast yogurt. They are much easier to store than milk jugs (stackable) and they are more convenient at plant-out time. We'll see how my germination rates work out.

Please share pictures of wherever you do your sowing. Later I'll start a thread about where we all put our containers outside, otherwise known as "The Pot Ghettos."

Martha

Comments (9)

Sponsored