SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
happyintexas

What does your quilting space look like?

happyintexas
16 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm just beginning to dabble my tootsies into quilting again. Several years ago, I did a few small projects, but a new baby and a business and such kept me busy. Well, the baby is now 17 (!!!!!) and the business is long gone. Time to quilt again.

I have an upstairs 'game' room that is long and narrow, but filled with clutter. While one end will be a work-out area, I want to set up the other end as a quilting area. I'll be cleaning out and setting up in the next few days.

My question to you is what do your quilting/sewing areas look like? What do you consider essential to the area?

Any thoughts are welcome!

Comments (29)

• juttz
    16 years ago

Well my area is so small that you literlly walk and sit..the table and wall iron are the only space I have...its about 7 x 5 feet..no kidding here...I have some bins next to the table..a serger under the table and the ironing board is in the wall...I took the end space of my utility room which is the only area I can work...oh and the kitchen table is my cutting area...

I would try and get everything pretty close to you so you arent up and down all the time..good luck and let us know what you do...Judy

• fran1523
    16 years ago

Some people make do with a corner of a bedroom or the kitchen table while others have rooms dedicated to sewing. I guess the most desirable requirements are good light, enough outlets for the sewing machine and iron, a large work surface for cutting, ample storage, and of course, a place where the sewing machine can be left set up. Other than that, one works with what one has.

• Related Discussions

What does the back of your roman or wood shade look like

Q

Comments (8)
    Yes, the cords on the side that control the roll do show Joyce. You can by liners for bamboo style roman shades. You could ask at L's, they carried them last time I looked, if they cover the cords. I've never thought about what our bamboo shades look like from the outside because we have solar shade screening and you can't see through them unless you put your nose to them.
    ...See More

Dark kitchen cabinets? What does your kitchen table look like?

Q

Comments (8)
    I've never been one for matchy-matchy, be it woods, fabrics, or even clothes. I like similarities in form or texture (the latter I actually prefer very tactile!) or even just style. My dining area table is a solid teak almost Parson's except the legs do taper a tiny bit. It's a darker color. When I had wood cabinets, they were a medium oak. I liked the differences. Oh - my floors are a gorgeous chocolate wide-plank maple. I love the combinations. That said, your cabinets are gorgeous. May I assume you cleaned, stripped & stained? I still have to do my butcher block countertop and haven't decided how to do it. I like a distressed look, but how to achieve it without working on it for 20 years? I love how professionally done your cabinets look.
    ...See More

Help! What does it look like *under* your peninsula? Cabinets?

Q

Comments (4)
    In our old kitchen with the peninsula we had one cabinet on the non-workstation side at the end near the wall (it would have been wasted space otherwise). When we moved to this house, 30 years ago, I was so excited to have a place where my little girls could get their own cereal in the mornings without me ALWAYS having to get up at the crack of dawn like they did. However, we also had 3 counter stools on that side, which meant I always had to haul one out to get down there. So in more recent years it was a good place to store things I didn't use very often. But now the peninsula is gone.
    ...See More

What does your rose garden look like?

Q

Comments (57)
    Denise, What you see there is ONE established McCartney rose (pink) and several Pope John Paul's in pots. I've been heeding Geof's advice and trying NOT to dead head or prune in order to slow/prevent thrips damage but these roses continue to grow despite my attempts, lol. Okay, your turn. What is in the vases? I love the orange ones. BTW, I took a trip to Nelson's this past weekend since I was in town for a wedding. Picked up ten roses. I'm about all out of space, lol. It's getting close to the time I'll be planting all these roses in the ground. Waiting for a slow down in weed growth. Great pics on the other thread of a similar title ;-)
    ...See More
  • vicky4x4
    16 years ago

Mine is in the family room I have a desk, a white folding table and tubs of fabric I try to keep semi picked up and I have a closet in one of bedrooms full of fabric and batting. My family puts up with me because it makes me happy.

Vicky

• lockeb
    16 years ago

I'm spoiled....let me tell you how I've set up my space.....I've taken the largest room in my house as my workroom.....as I walk though the door, on my left, right behind the door is a bookhself with folded fabric, and battings at the top - then there's a wardrobe - filled with fabrics...another book shelf (5 shelves) full again....then there's my old china cabinet/hutch in the corner....filled with all of my sewing/craft/quilting books behind the glass doors, and underneath, great storage for buttons and other knick kacks...of course, there's a t.v. on top of the cabinet so I can listing to my favourite programs at the same time I'm in there.....next to that is my old dining room table - my 2 machines are always set up on there.....room to cut, and just be creative...my table faces a window looking out on the backyard to I really enjoy that..next to the window is a bulletin board and a scissor rack, tassel hang there........next to the table as we work around the room is another small 2-door cabinet with craft supplies..then another 5 shelve bookshelf with fabrics.....then in the corner are storage cabinets - 3 drawers in the bottom, 2 doors/shelves in the middle - 2 drawers at the top.....lots of ribbons, sewing accessories, etc....stored on top are a douzen or so plastic container that have been marked for specific items such as braids, trims, tassels,e tc.....
    The same set-up is in the next corner - and between these 2 large units I have a vintage chest of drawers that store a lot of vintage linens and Unfinished projects...on this cabinet sits my grandmothers wonderful old singer, her button can, and her sewing box.....coming around the room, next to the 2nd large corner unit, I have another 5-shelves full of fabrics, and all of my decorating books, decorative storage boxes...and then, last but not least, there's a huge sofa..where I can set and do my handsewing, look through my project books or just rest and watch some t.v.....on the wall over the sofa are projects from my day - who passed away 3 years ago...one of his first projects - a spice rack for my mom when they got married...and 2 projects/shelves that I found on his work desk after he has passed away - two of his last projects....
    I have some piles of fabrics in the room that don't fit on the shelves....I have been working hard on trying to eliminate the extra, selling lots of pieces in my Ebay store, etc....it's coming along well...once I get to the point where it's all organized I'll be very happy - but I'm close enough now to see the light...
    That's my sewing room in a nutshell....
    Have a great evening everyone...
    Bill

• easystitches
    16 years ago

well, I've had my chuckle for the day now.
    When I read "What does your quilting space look like"
    in all honesty it looks like h**l, sorry it was the very 1st thing that came to mind! Jill

(I'm seeing a pattern here. My posts aren't very helpful!)
    Please don't kick me off, it's too much fun!

• sew_self-taught
    16 years ago

DonÂt hate be because itÂs beautiful. LOL
    I posted this pic of my sewing room last year. I love it in here. ItÂs my favorite room in the house, and I spend most of my day in it. ItÂs also were my computer is. ItÂs nice to spend time with my quilting friends in the same room I sew in. The other side of the room has a large cutting table and the ironing board is behind my sewing chair.

Happyintexas  our stories are very similar. I started sewing when I had my baby. I stopped after working full time. Started sewing again when my baby was 16, (now 18). I agree with what others have said. Lighting is important. Also the flow of the room is important. DonÂt they say kitchens should be a work area like a triangle? (Stove to sink to fridge kind of thing?) Same for a sewing space if you can. When I get finished sewing I can turn around and press. Or when I cut pieces I can turn around and sit at my machine. I hope that makes sense. It took me a year of planning to get my room just right for me. Since your space will be new to you, try out different set ups. So in a nut shell  I think lighting, cutting space, pressing space and a place to leave your machine out all the time if you can. Good luck and enjoy!! Oh one more thing - storage for all the great fabric youÂre gonna start buying.

By the way, my room hardly ever looks like the pic. Right now mine looks like JillÂs. There are piles and piles everywhere! But arenÂt piles good? They help the creative mind. Well, that my excuse anyway.

Nina

• sloth003
    16 years ago

I live in a tiny house. My 'quilting space' is in the living room. Ok who am I kidding. I set up on the ironing board. I iron, cut and sew on my board. Sometimes I sit on the chesterfield, sometimes on the loveseat. I lift the sewing machine up and down off the floor as needed. Maybe the next house (when my numbers come in) will have room for sewing. I have a tiny old toybox I try (not very hard) to keep supplies stashed in and clear plastic tubs of fabric live on the porch out front (it's covered)...People can be surprised with what I can produce given my space limitations.

• toolgranny
    16 years ago

You can't come to my house and look - don't even ask. I'd have to clean up. I am fortunate to have a dedicated "sewing room". When construction was done, I renamed it my "sewing closet". It does have room to hold shelves with plastic bins that hold my stash sort of by color plus other categories like holiday, black and white, novelty, etc. I can walk in and search with a small table to set things on while I search. But, then I go to the dining room table to cut on a large mat, bedroom to sew on a narrow table in front of the window and ironing board to lay out things while I spread things over the bed.

Make your bed first thing and you can lay out things on it. My husband knows the drill and I don't throw him out of bed too early. But, when I start making it he knows why.

I have a design wall hanging in the dining room that goes up and down as needed. I consider this my excercise plan. Walking between cutting and storage downstairs and running back up to sew things is my "gym".

I'm luckier than most with all my space but just wait. I have goals in mind, plans in the future, and I'll dream the big dream. You all understand that one.

Linda in Calif.

• caroline1947
    16 years ago

Mine is a used to be walk in pantry,its really small, but I keep it as organized as I can, as I cant sew in clutter.It also serves as an office for my computer etc. I have to block my door to our garage,but there is another exit out back ,so we manage. The other door is also blocked,it goes to the utility room,and there is a second door on the other end,so we can get in anyway.The picture of my sewing desk is taken from the kitchen door ,which has saloon shutters on it. Its all compact and I wish it was bigger, but it serves me well, so I wont complain.I like it...
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• nanajayne
    16 years ago

Mine is a mess most of time. After seeing how neat the others are I am ashamed to post mine but it works for me. Pretty good light, cutting, sewing areas but never enough storage for my endless stash. One pic shows the nw area and the other the se area of my 10'x10' room. Jayne{{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}

• calliope
    16 years ago

The funny thing is, I sewed the most when I was busiest. Two young teen-aged kids and a kindergartener foster child, horses out back, working . My energy was limitless then, and I was also poor and that is a pretty good motivator. Christmas gifts were sometimes custom made shirts for the guys, or a housecoat for the gals. Then I got out of it for at least a decade and a half. Having a dedicated sewing space seemed to be the motivator to start sewing again. I think I just hated to get stuff out and put it away, especially if I could only work on my projects for a short time.

About two or three years ago, I claimed a guest bedroom as a sewing room and started back it, mostly to teach my g'kids the art. I had my deceased MIL's bedrrom set in there, and like so many of you all, lay my quilts out on it as I was sewing to get a feel for how big they needed to be. I did, and still do do my cutting out on the floor, so I am up and down fifty bazillion times to the machine or iron. I figure it's a calorie burner and good workout. LOL.

I have since passed the furniture on to my step daughter and was getting ready to move an old iron bed in there, but am enjoying having a whole room with nothing it in at the moment but a console machine, a dresser and the ironing board. I may keep it that was, as it's large enough to set up the large homemade quilting frame my husband made for my daughter.

It's a wonderful, old fashioned room upstairs with a window on each side, opposing each other. It's bright and airy and with the door closed, the rest of the world goes away. I think I'll soon be moving my g'father's little porcelain kitchen table up there for cutting and a few of the old antique chairs, just the right height for the machine.
    I have six big sixteen gallon see-through plastic bins stacked in a corner, stuffed the fabric, all sorted as to they own types, ie denim, flannel, cotton and just bought another. Then a big wooden basket full of rolled up strips and scrappies just large enough to be the panes of a cathedral quilt.

• kathi_mdgd
    16 years ago

Many years ago i told dh we didn't need that big room just to sleep in,and at the time we worked different shifts.Then he got transferred to a different city about 2 hours away and at first commuted every day.Then he was working 10 and 12 hour days and it became too dangerous for him to do the commuting,so he took our 5th wheel to the town he worked in and came home on his days off.So i told him i was gonna switch rooms and take the master for my sewing room and move us into the room that used to be our 3 sons room.He didn't think it would work,but i mapped it all out on graph paper,measured all the furniture and when i had it figured out i moved everything.

At the time we had a king size bed,so i had to turn the nite stands sideways,but i go it all in there,and the master bedroom became my sewing,craft,quilting and later on computor room.

He was surprised i was able to pull it off whe he came home again,but was happy for me.So here are some pictures of it.It's 15'X22'.

Enjoy the view!!!
    Kathi

• riograndegal
    16 years ago

crispy is what mine looks like. I also have (had) a separate sewing room and was getting ready to open up the next room and hallway all into one larger room as the room I already had was 15x18. However you know what happens when things hit the fan. My mother passed away in October of '07 and my mentally handicap sister came to live with me, so that sent my son to the room I was going to open up, and put her in his room to have her closer to me, but if that wasn't bad enough, We had a fire that destroyed my green house and jumped over to my sewing room. The fire completely destroyed that part of the house burning my sewing room down to ashes. years of patterns and books and 100's of yards of fabric etc... So all in all, My rooms are getting rebuilt, but my sewing room will definately be plain as plain could be, and no fabric. It will probably be a while before anything in the way of cabinets and extras can happen. And since I am now out of a job because my sister needs full care, money is very tight. Ladies enjoy your quilt space no matter how small or big because life changes in seconds. I have been playing with fat quarters that friends have sent me and I treasure every piece now. Nina I love the crisp look of your sewing space and Caroline the hearts on your door are awesome. Well thanks for the ear ladies. Josie

• lockeb
    16 years ago

Hi Josie,
    Not one of the ladies - ..I'm one of the few guy quilters - on here anyways - perhaps the only one...
    I read your message on the board this morning and I wanted to tell you how sorry I am that you lost so much of your sewing stuff....as a sewer I know how that must feel..but I wanted to congratulate you for being such a great hero in taking care of your sewer...
    If you would be interested, I'd love to help you replace some fabric pieces, etc. - it would be a pleasure to send you little sewing packages every now and then to help you replace some items and get you stated again on your hobby...
    I have been sewing/doing home decorating for the better part of 20 years...Quilting is new to me...if you would tell me what you like in sewing - quilts, home decor, etc. - I can send you different kinds of pieces to use for different projects - even if they are small packages and won't be able to replace all that you've lost, but perhaps you'll get some inspiration to keep sewing....and slowly make your way back......
    Perhaps there are others who would be interested in doing the same thing.....
    If you would like to contact me privately via email, you can do so at billshomedecor@hotmail.com - there we can chat, you can give me your mailing address, etc..
    Keep smiling - we can't have rainbows without the rain....
    Hang in there,
    Hugs from Canada.....
    Bill

• rosajoe_gw
    16 years ago

Bill you are the sweetest person!!!!! I used the dining room table for years and I didn't sew much because of putting the machine away and picking up the mess.
    Single parent of 2 for 20 years and no money, met DH 8 years ago, kids grew up, retired and moved back to GA. I NOW HAVE A ROOM TO SEW IN!!!!!! My room is small but it does have a place for a table, sewing machine & desk, embroidery machine.
    I will admit that I will never post pics of my room because it is rarely picked up!!!!
    I keep the rest of my house clean and I close the door to MY room.
    I have 2 windows so the room is very bright and in the summer about 5 to 7 degrees warmer than the rest of the house.
    Rosa

• toolgranny
    16 years ago

And, hugs from California as well. I would love to share the extras that are slow moving in my stash. We have e-mails for lots of us birthday people and if Bill would coordinate this offline, let us all help. Give him a mailing address and we can take it from there.
    Linda

• lockeb
    16 years ago

Hi Rosa,
    I'm blessed - I didn't always have the space but I have a very large room - and all of my "STUFF" is int here...I can post pictures - but it's very full..because I have some piles of fabrics and things that I'm trying to liquidate to make more free space...but I love my space....
    It's great that we can have pasttimes that we so much enjoy - and be able to have such fun...and be creative....
    Bill

• lockeb
    16 years ago

Hi Linda,
    I don't mind coordinating this at all for Josie....Josie, you can contact me privately...
    If anyone wants to drop me a line privately, do so at billshomedecor@hotmail.com
    I'm sure we all have some fabrics pieces that we can part with - perhaps some extra sewing notions....
    Have a great day everyone..
    Bill

• suellen_delawares
    16 years ago

What do I consider essential to my sewing area?
    A path with a map would be helpful. I have more stuff than will fit in the room. The pictures of the sewing rooms just might inspire me to work some more on mine. When we bought our new home 3 years ago I knew that I needed to start downsizing because the room in this new house is a fourth of the size I had at our old house. This picture is just a small amount of what I have given away. I inherrited a lot of stuff to add to what I already had.

Some day I will be able to use my room. Right now I put up the folding table and lug my machine out.
    Suellen

• nanciii
    16 years ago

Well my space is very soothing to me: new antique changing table---changed to a pattern holder.
    {{!gwi}}
    to the right
    {{!gwi}}
    going out
    {{!gwi}}

to the left
    {{!gwi}}

hubby is in the process of building me a new cutting table about 6' long. I love my space

• michelle_co
    16 years ago

Oh dear. People who can actually appreciate my mess! I love it!! My 'sewing studio' is an upstairs office, we moved the computers to the basement because the room was too bright. It's perfect for sewing. My Juki faces a north window, I love sewing and watching snow fall! The Pfaff is setup on a big folding table, and I like having my tools on the pegboard behind it.

My firefighting gear is in the lower L corner of the photo (the big yellow helmet). Gotta keep it warm for late night emergency calls.

{{!gwi}}

Cheers,
    Michelle

ps. Bill, I would be glad to send some fabric if you are organizing a care package.

• polardream
    16 years ago

Oh Josie! I am so sorry!

Bill, I am sending you an e-mail. I would love to send some fabric to Josie

Sue

• love2sew
    16 years ago

There is a closing out sale at I'd Rather Be Quilting starting Feb 4 (no association to the store). Josie what kind of fabrics do you like? Any special books you'd like. Take a look on the site and make a wish list and send it to Bill..maybe we can make some wishes come true.
    Jeane

• riograndegal
    16 years ago

Fellow quilters, I came searching for this post after reading Bill's post earlier. Bill you are indeed very kind. I needed to see what I said that made some people think I was running a scam. My only crime is that I shared a very difficult moment with you guys. I did post my fire and all my happenings on another forum as I have been a member for a long time there and have a long swapping (good) history with them, and have never had a problem with anyone. That part of my house that burned down is already being re-built and is covered by my homeowners ins. I miss all that I lost (100's of yds of fabric and sewing machine, and quilt tools, books), but all of this I can replace eventually. Yes I admit I can't afford to buy anything at this moment because also with my mother's passing I no longer have a job because I care for my sister full time, but I will adjust financially and mentally. I will be fine after May when I have re-cooped after re-building everything that is not covered by ins. such as my green house where the fire started and jumped to the house. I guess what I am trying to say and am really fumbling it all up, is that even though I posted my fire and troubles on 2 separate forums, they were just simple venting and I ment no harm nor am I trying to sell swamp land to anyone. As a Christian I asked for nothing but prayers, I really need that more than I will ever need anything else. I can't imagine anyone making up such a thing as what I have been through in 2007, and I would not wish it on even the cruelest person. I know that there are scammers out there and I see it on the seed exchange often, but they are asking you for something. I asked for nothing and even though I don't have not even 1/2 a % of what I had before, I will still be fine and in fact I am fine. I had hoped to start trading on this forum, but I see that I will have people always wondering if I will come through or not. And yes I do go by several id's on the differant forums as many people do. I like to be able to keep things straight particularly when I trade. My full name is Florastella josephine as is my mother's and my sister's ( Maryalice Josephine), any you may blame my mom for that although she passed on in October 2007. I go by Flora on another forum and Josie in this forum to keep me straight as I said. I know many people who have 3 and 4 id's. Bill I will e-mail you separate to thank you and to apologize. Thank you, Josie

• lockeb
    16 years ago

Hi Josie,
    It was great to hear back from you on the forum...and thanks for your personal email.
    I apologize for any misunderstanding - we are a friendly grouip of people - and very caring - if you look back thought he messages there - you'll see several people who wanted to send you packaged...
    I think that the misunderstanding happened because we saw your first post...and felt for you - and of course, several of us wanted to dig in and help by sending little things to share with you, a fellow quilter/sewer. But, the problem is that after your post, messages were left here and you didn't reply - and I sent emails to you personally - and you didn't reply - and so when we couldn't get replies, of course the human side starts to question...we had people wanting to send packages, gift cretificates, etc....
    I appreciate your replies today - this will help put everything back on track....please do not be a stranger here...please try to understand our point of view from the silence of not hearing back from you - but I'd like to take this from day 1 this morning.....
    I wish you a blessed day....I would like to encourage all of our fellow quilters to over look any other messages....and for all of us who were interested in sending you some items to get you back to sewing - I invite them all to dig in and see what they can find - and perhaps together we can help you build back up some of your stock....whether it be some fabric, some knick-knacks/notions.....
    If you could send me your snailmail address privately it would be great....
    I look forward to hearing from you and sharing with you on the board...WELCOME!!!!!
    Hugs,
    Bill

• csackett
    16 years ago

All the sewing rooms look great! That is a dream of mine.
    I have a large living room dining room combination. I cut on my dining room table, and put an ironing board up between my dining room table and a large recliner. I put my sewing in the middle and my iron plug in and turned on to the right of the sewing machine. I barely have room for my thread catcher. I made a non-skid skirt that goes under my machine and has pockets for scissors. I can adjust my ironing board so I always have the right height and I press every seam I sew (from the Home Ec. days). I really enjoy sewing this way. I can watch tv and sew. One corner is my bedroom holds a tall dresser with 12 drawer with glass fronts. I keep all my fatquarters & fabric arranged by color and have a fat quarter in the glass section so I know what color is in that drawer. I have an old singer electric machine(46 yrs. old), a Janome QC, 2 singer treadles, 1 singer crank machine, a White 2035 and a Brother PE150. When company comes the ironing board and sewing machine go up along with my current project. I have fabric, patterns & stuff hidden everywhere in my bedroom and living room. I love decorative hat boxes. They can hold and hide a multitude of things. :)Carolyn

• michelle_co
    16 years ago

Nanciii, I like your garden painting in your sewing area. Very nice!

Kathi, I also like the dust ruffle around the big table. I have the same type of table, and am going to make a ruffle to hide all the stuff underneath it. Good idea.

Cheers,
    Michelle

• toolgranny
    16 years ago

I'm so glad we've heard from Josie and cleared all that confusion up. We really feel for her. We might all be in her position some day. I send her my prayers.
    Linda

• lockeb
    16 years ago

Hi Linda,
    AMEN!!!!
    I asked Josie to advise me her address privately so that I could send her some things from my sewing room - if anyone else wants to do the same it would be great.....we all have extras of different things......
    Bill

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County