SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
audreyaronoff

Peaches for North-Central Texas (DFW) & High Density Orchard Culture

Audrey McDermott
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi all!
I'm converting the majority of my tiny suburban property over to permaculture landscape, including the front yard.

Variety Selection:

First, I could use some help with peach variety selection. I prefer a peach that has a nice acid balance to it. Low acid peaches seem to taste too bland to me, but then again, I might just have never tried a really good sub-acid peach. Here are my top contenders, but I would greatly appreciate any feedback and suggestions for varieties that will perform well in Dallas, Texas, particularly if they show good disease/pest resistance:

Flavor Rich (late May)

Harvester (Mid June)

Royal Zest 4 (Late June) - Texas A&M intro

Loring (Early-mid July)

Redskin (mid-late July)

White Delight 4 (late July?) - Texas A&M intro, supposed to be sub-acid, but might be worth a shot as the flavor is rated "excellent", and I don't have any other white flesh varieties

Planting Advice:

I have a large half-circle bed out front that is 42' long by 16' deep at the widest point. I've been doing a lot of research on high density orchard culture, and I'm thinking about trying to put in 6 peaches in the high density "informal orchard" layout, and then surround it with some ornamental plants so my neighbors don't complain too much.
For anyone who has used this method, is it aesthetically pleasing, or would I be better off using the "4 in 1 hole" technique? I've seen a lot of drawings of the plantings, but I have not come across many pictures that show the plantings from far away.
I appreciate any help y'all can provide!

Comments (5)