SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elenag_67

Finances with step-children

elenag_67
8 years ago

My SO and I have been dating for over a year. We share expenses 50-50. We have decided to live together in another state, and again, share everything 50-50. His grown children want to move with us. His kids are good kids. One has graduated from college and has been working, but want to go back to school full-time and change careers. The other will be graduating in December. It's a sensitive subject, but if his (grown) kids are living with us, I don't feel it is fair to have to pay 50%. I think his kids need time to "get on their feet" (I am thinking 3-6 months), but as some point, they need to help contribute to the expenses. If my SO doesn't want them to help with expenses, then I think he should cover.
I am looking for advise on what the new % should be. My initial thought was that the total expenses should be split by the number of adults living in the home. My next thought was that utilities and food should be split by the number of adults but rent may be something less. Does anyone have a good rule of thumb?

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio