SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

Prayers for Ashley

annie1992
8 years ago

I miss the "Conversations" side of the forum. (sigh)

Ashley had a stroke yesterday. Yes, I know, she's only 27. She's slender, spends regular time at the gym, eats a relatively healthy diet other than that occasional can of cream of mushroom straight from the can. She's on Lipitor for slightly elevated cholesterol.

She's in Grand Rapids at the hospital now, and they've discovered that she has a hole in the septum between the atrium portions of her heart, probably a congenital malformation. She'll have another test tomorrow to better determine how significant the malformation is. Depending on the results of that test, she'll go home or she'll stay there and have it repaired.

The stroke seems minor and left her with nothing more than small memory issues, thankfully. Please think strong thoughts for her tomorrow, as they try to find out what caused this and how to fix it.

Annie

Comments (94)

• amck2
    8 years ago

Annie, thank you for providing updates. Things sound to be going as well as they could be, given the circumstances.

Will continue to send prayers to all. Try to take good care of yourself, too.

• plllog
    8 years ago

How great! Nice to be the agent of the reunion. :)

I know someone who had a similar chip installed. It's pretty miraculous because they can diagnose in real life rather than lab situations. Maybe have Ashley confirm that the monitoring is all set up right. The guy I know had to make a bunch of calls.

Best wishes for Ashley's recovery.

• Related Discussions

New to Brugs, here are my cuttings and progress so far!

Q

Comments (46)
    Boy time really got away with me. I'm been so busy with work and I just interviewed for a Masters Program at UT Southwest Medical here in Dallas, whew I'm exhausted! :) Here are the rest of my Brugs! :) I took these after work one day so they are a little darker than normal. Good idea, Eloise, about the markers. I had no idea that wasn't toxic to the plants. Thanks pkponder! Coleus was really easy to start from seed. I started a thread in the Container Garden forum, if you wanna check out the coleus progress! :) It'd be interesting to try different types of ferts but right now I'll stick with what I have on hand. I don't have access to any other fert than store bought ones... Yaslan, this is my first time growing from seed. I got a Wizard mix, which is a bunch of different types of coleus and I used pretty much the whole package and got lots of seedlings! Ashley
    ...See More

Think smart for Ashley...

Q

Comments (48)
    Lars, Ashley was takaing the state certification board examination to complete her radiology training, her next step is to actually find a job as an x-ray tech or some other radiology position. She was tested in Grand Rapids, but I was on my way to Lansing to meet Cooking Forum friends, so I celebrated in Lansing and she celebrated....somewhere else, LOL. She's still out with her friends. I'm also glad they know right away, although it takes 6 weeks to get the official papers. The wonders of technology! Annie
    ...See More

Annie....need updates on Ashley!

Q

Comments (106)
    Annie, FYI and for Ashley, I have IBS and it is very non-typical, just causes pain, no other symptoms. Intense pain but it doesn't last and goes away. Best diet is minimal food, emphasis on sticky fiber, not rough fiber. Things like fruits and oatmeal, not wheat bran. I also had ovarian cysts that were painful but went away without needing surgery. Of course ulcerative colitis or chron's disease is always a possibility--hard to diagnose, hard to treat, but sometimes just goes away on its own and can be somewhat managed. My friend's pancreas swelled up once, she was in the hospital and everything, they had no idea why it did that, and then it just went away! I agree with what Spacific said, go alternative, try acupuncture. Doctors aren't very good with treating these nebulous systemic problems, IMHO. Best help comes from talking to others who have been in a similar situation and gotten things under control. This has been my experience with migranes and my dad's experience with ulcerative colitis. Above all, avoid the doctor's favorite pill for nebulous maladies--steroids! Too many long term side effects. If they don't bring it under control right away then the diagnosis is probably wrong and they need to be stopped. I cannot begin to tell you the damage I have seen with friends and family taking steroid medications. Yes, they can be a godsend, but they are not a long term solution.
    ...See More

Update on Savannah ,Ashley's friend

Q

Comments (18)
    I am just getting back here.Thanks for being such a inspiration part of helping her get well.I have sent her the posts from here.I am hoping she and her mom will come here and talk to you all.I am working on this and it may take time but I believe we will see her and her mom here one day.Thanks for posting such great encouragements like you all have and not knowing them personal but yet you all willing to take a minute out of your day to encourging and congraduate her in her well doing,.I have said it before and I say it again,you all are the greatest.I am proud I am part of this group.
    ...See More
  • westsider40
    8 years ago

My best wishes for Ashley, too. The granddaughter of my friend had a stroke in utero so it happens at all ages. She is doing fine, age 13, with a slight foot dragging, very minor. Medical care is amazing today and I am glad that Ashley is the beneficiary. Healing thoughts to you and yours.

• tami_ohio
    8 years ago

Annie, I will certainly keep Ashley, and all of your family, in my prayers. I am glad that it was a "minor" stroke, and that Ashley is coming home.

• dedtired
    8 years ago

Oh my goodness, Annie! I don't check in here as often as I did in the past. I certainly wasn't expecting to see this news. Like others here, your family has been my family for a long time. Sending heartfelt love to all of you and strong healing thoughts for Ashley. Keep us posted. I mean Elery COULD have said something on FB. Sheesh.

• foodonastump
    8 years ago

Annie, I also tend to be a little cynical re excess testing/insurance and question why my cardiologist puts me through the same tests every few years when he always sees the same results. On the other hand, I welcome (hopefully) knowing that there are no additional complications. Most "normal" people don't have the opportunity to be checked out so thoroughly. So I say embrace it, even if you question the motivation.

Continued luck to her!

• sally2_gw
    8 years ago

That is great news. I'm happy to hear it. Won't it be wonderful to see the girls faces when they see their mom coming home.

Sally

• ruthanna_gw
    8 years ago

Praying that Ashley will have an uneventful recovery and get things corrected soon.

• bbstx
    8 years ago

Annie, so happy to hear that Ashley is home and doing well. DH has had atrial fibrillation for 14 years. DH's new cardiologist wants to implant a chip in him, too. DH is contemplating whether to do it or not. He wore an external monitor for 2 weeks. It was a PITA since the leads had to be removed daily when he showered. I'll be curious to hear if Ashley got her chip and if she notices that it is there.

I wonder if pompous a** doctors know that their pompous-assedness doesn't inspire confidence, but has just the opposite effect - at least for me it does. My cousin-in-law was told by one of his med school professors that doctors need the 3 As to be successful: Accessibility, Affability, and Ability. I think some of them think Ability is sufficient and ignore the other two.

• Barb Conrad
    8 years ago

This has been such an interesting and caring post. It is wonderful that she has so many praying for her. My youngest son keeps telling me, "Mom, I got all my bad parts from you, I got bad eyes, sweat on my upper lip and nose and I worry too much" and then laughs. You have a lot of good in you to pass on, so heads up. Dcarch, just because you think you aren't a good prayer, prayers aren't always answered the way you want Maybe God was looking out for you. I hope the news continues to be good. God Bless. Barb

• tami_ohio
    8 years ago

I am glad to see good news. I am also glad that the PA neurologist was wrong. I had one of those once. He was my only choice for thyroid at the time. He did know his stuff, but his dr patient manner left MUCH to be desired. I went to him for what I had to, for the short time I had to, and then it was good by rude obnoxious dr! Prayers continue for Ashley.

Dcarch, I am in total agreement with Barb. You may not think you are good at praying, but God answers our prayers in the way they need answered, but not always the way we want them answered. And I am sure, also, that your good thoughts and wishes are just as appreciated.

Tami

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    8 years ago

God always answers prayers. Sometimes He says yes, sometimes no, and a lot of the time, wait. I think the last one is the hardest to know, and to receive.

• User
    8 years ago

OMG...I am late to the thread , saw all the posts and went right to the end!!!

Thank God she has an early diagnosis and good care. Better she should know this now so it can be managed.

Lots of prayers and good thoughts to all of you

Sharon

• mustangs81
    8 years ago

Great to hear! And hopefully medical advances will be on her side.

Talking about the doctor's skills and knowledge...I went with my mother whenever she went to the doctor to make sure we followed through with any instructions or procedures. I mentioned getting another opinion; the nurse pointed to the diploma on on the wall. I said "that's great that he has a degree but how do we know that he didn't graduate at the bottom of his class?" No surprise that the doctor said that my mother should get another doctor if I continued to accompany her to her appointments.

• nannygoat18
    8 years ago

Huge red flags. I kept going to doctors until I found one that agreed to make decision WITH me, not FOR me.

• cloudy_christine
    8 years ago

Great news that Ashley is home!

• PRO
    Lars/J. Robert Scott
    8 years ago

Positive thoughts definitely do make a difference, especially when they are expressed to the person they are intended for. I am sure you are good at relaying messages to Ashley from people here.

Doctors are not all created equal, which is why second opinions are helpful. Doctors are just as fallible as anyone else, and the ones who think they are not are the ones to be avoided. It is a very common practice for doctors to over-test, but you do not want to under-test either, which is why you need a doctor that you truly trust. I lived with a group of doctors/interns in San Francisco for a year or so and got a lot of first-hand insights from that experience. If Ashley works in the medical field, then she will understand what is best for her, I think. I would think that a competent doctor would welcome a second opinion, for if the first doctor is correct, then the second doctor will confirm that. I go to a medical group and therefore often get to have second opinions, but sometimes not often enough.

• bcskye
    8 years ago

Gee, Annie! I'm sending prayers and positive thoughts as well as sending up smoke for Ashley and the entire family. Please keep us posted.

• User
    8 years ago

Annie, thank you for keeping us up to date. Wishing Ashley a quick and full recovery.

• mitchdesj
    8 years ago

I just saw this now, what a trying time for your family: keep up your energy and thanks for the updates, I'm glad she is home and on the mend.

• cathyinpa
    8 years ago

Still thinking about everyone, Annie.

When my father was hospitalized, one doctor (of the myriad) just came in, pulled a chair next to my dad's bedside and listened to/talked with him like a friend -- No clipboard, no writing, just listening, interjecting thoughtful questions, all the time in the world. He later told me that he learned more that way than any other:)

Cathy in SWPA

• Nancy
    8 years ago

My computer has been down & I came back to read this. I'm mostly a lurker, but feel like I know you well. Sounds like Ashley is doing well, thank goodness. If I am reading correctly, sounds like a good thing to find out about the heart defect now so it can be corrected. Hope she continues on to good health. My DH has a minor stroke about 15 years ago, the doctors could find no real reason for it. They put him on baby aspirin & has been fine since.

• sally2_gw
    8 years ago

I'm so glad to hear she's home. I bet that welcome home from the girls did more healing for her than anything even the best doctor could do. I'm keeping warm thoughts in my heart for her, the girls, you, and the whole family.

Sally

• teotiki
    8 years ago

Hi Annie

haven't been on site for a long while & was very shocked when I read this about Ashley. Glad to hear she's home bet everyone is happy and she'll feel better being with her loved ones. I'll keep her and your entire family in my prayers. Wishing you all the very best

• annie1992
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh my gosh, teotiki, I'm so, so, so happy to hear from you again!

She's still unsteady and has people lined up to be with her at home while Kevin goes back to work. I'll be there Monday but I talked to her on the phone today and she says she's just really tired and still struggles sometimes to find words for what she's thinking. She THOUGHT she was going back to work on Monday. Ahem. The doc says no, she'll be home next week and then decide. So Monday is my day, Tuesday the girls go to daycare and Kevin will check on her frequently while he works. Wednesday her friend Christine is coming to stay with her, Thursday is a recap of Tuesday and Friday we'll see how she feels for the weekend. Now I've got to figure out a "heart healthy" version of Beef Stroganoff, she wants some in the worst way. I have grass fed beef and low fat sour cream, and that's as far as I've gotten...

Annie

• maggie2094
    8 years ago

Awwww sending lots of love!

• dedtired
    8 years ago

Glad to hear she's doing so well.

• Compumom
    8 years ago

Holy COW!! I was away for about 10 days and was stunned to read about Ashley! I'm thrilled that she's home and has seemingly minor repercussions. Our Ashley... it's difficult to believe that this little powerhouse could have a stroke at such a young age. Nonetheless I'm sending heartfelt love and good thoughts for a miraculous recovery! It's a good thing that she has you all and her medical career to keep her in the know. What a year you all have had! xoxo

• annie1992
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes, Ellen, it's been quite a year so far. Bud's seizures are still not quite under control, although he's much better. Amanda is better too, on her gluten free diet, since she was diagnosed as celiac. Elery's BIL passed away the end of June, my sister died in August, my stepmother is going back on dialysis 3 times a week, Elery had his hip replaced September 1 and now this. I'm feeling.....well.....tired. Somehow things all seem to happen at once, but this too, shall pass. The moral of the story, of course, is never take your health for granted. Ashley had no indicators at all and then, boom, and life changes. If she had symptoms, she didn't notice.

So, if I could just get everyone in my family healthy at once, I could get back to cooking!

Annie

• tami_ohio
    8 years ago

Annie, I am glad Ashley is doing better. I had not seen that your sister, and Elery's BIL had passed away. Sending you all my sympathy. I continue to keep you all in my prayers.

• sally2_gw
    8 years ago

Annie, you can frequently substitute yogurt for sour cream. I do it on potatoes and it works very well. Although I tried it in a sour cream cake and it was a miserable failure. I guess I shouldn't have used non-fat yogurt, lol. For something like Beef Stroganoff, it might work.

I'm so sorry so much has happened to you. It really does seem to happen in waves like that. Hang in there.

Sally

• nannygoat18
    8 years ago

Annie, the truism that "Heath is Wealth" is really apt.

This recipe calls for reduced fat sour cream (I've used Daisy brand and there's no detectable difference between the full fat and the reduced one). Non fat versions are ick.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/beef_stroganoff.html

• mtnester
    8 years ago

OMG, Annie, I had no idea all that was going on in your family these days! I don't check in on the CF as often as I used to, and I must have missed all the news. I'm so sorry for the loss of your sister and BIL and for the health problems of your family members.

I know the worry must take a lot out of you, too, so please take good care of yourself. You've always been the strong one, doing all you can for everybody else, but you've got to do as the say on the airline safety cards: take care of yourself first, so that you can save others.

Continued best wishes, and gentle hugs,

Sue

• coconut_nj
    8 years ago

Oh Annie, what you all have been through. So glad Ashley is home and has at least some answers. I had to chuckle when she wanted Strog. As young poor folks we oftén made fake strog ẃith grnd beef and mushroom soup with a spoon of sour cream if we were lucky. I generally think of strog as pretty heart healthy. Your good beef, stock, onions and some mushooms. Thickened ẃith cornstarch, it won't take a ton of the lowfat sour cream. You probably made it already though, smiles.

Sending plenty healing energy thataway. My best to Ashley, the girls, Kevin, and all of you.

• Pat_T
    8 years ago

Annie, I rarely drop in here, but for some reason decided to pop in today. My thoughts are with y'all. Wishing a speedy recovery for Ashley!

• John Liu
    8 years ago

Will Ashley have to eat differently going forward? She is so young, I wouldn't think her condition would be diet or lifestyle-related?

• annie1992
    Original Author
    8 years ago

John, the doctors didn't really think that the stroke was related to her diet or lifestyle, but rather was an issue related to the heart defect. However, they've put her on a "heart healthy" diet, so she is trying to cut the sodium and fat. Since they want her to wear the microchip for a minimum of 9 months before they decide the course of action, and she's already on cholesterol medication, they've told her it's a wise "precaution". Plus, I think any time you see a cardiologist, they're going to educate you on a heart healthy diet, it's an ingrained behavior for people in their profession. At any rate, eating less saturated fat and salt can't hurt her, and it's not painful, expensive or invasive, so she's going to give it her best shot.

Annie

• John Liu
    8 years ago

That makes good sense. Regardless of the connection to her stroke - sounds like none - a healthy diet will be good for her in the long run. None of us stay young forever!

• bbstx
    8 years ago

Annie, DH gets his microchip tomorrow. Wish I could get doc to program a GPS into it! HA!

• lindac92
    8 years ago

And if she eats more healthy it will be a good example for her kids, because whatever heritable things she has, they have too.

• the_evil_one
    8 years ago

Thanks Ellen for the email giving me a heads up. Adding my thoughts and prayers for Ashley. You've had a lot on your plate, Annie!

Just ask Ashley's hubby to not add to it by getting himself in trouble by shouting our family names in public places....'Ashley! Madison!' Just sayin'....

(((hugs)))

• annie1992
    Original Author
    8 years ago

EJ! I meant to tell you, but it's been crazy busy. (sigh) Ashley and Kevin announce every detail of their life on Facebook, there's no privacy any more. That's why I don't do Facebook. And no, I won't mention your names. (grin)

I spent today with Ashley, she seems much better although she tires easily. She says she's going to try to go back to work next week....

Annie

• lindac92
    8 years ago

Oh EJ......you do live up to your name....and I have missed you!!!! Ashley Madison indeed!!!

• foodonastump
    8 years ago

Well I'll be. I'd just about given up on you, EJ. Welcome back. Nice to see some others come out of the woodwork as well.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    8 years ago

I am so sorry Ashley had to go through this. It does sound like it was a milder one and I pray she will make a full recovery. My husband, much older than Ashley has had two major strokes and deals with major problems each day. Keeping her in my prayers.

Sue

• booberry85
    8 years ago

Oh Annie! Yikes! I'm just reading about this for the first time today. Glad Ashley is home and on the road to recovery. Somehow I get the feeling that no one in your family knows what it means to "take it easy." :) Sending healing thoughts her way. Please remember to take care of yourself as well!

Becky

• sprtphntc7a
    8 years ago

add me to the list of well-wishers!! so sorry to hear all u are going thru, its very exhausting, mentally and physically., so take of yourself so u can take care of everyone else!!

a friend of mine, her son of 19, had a stroke out of the blue...they still have no real reason for it. he was in a major hospital in the city (PA). he recovered 100%, was very lucky!!!!!!! he will be monitored the rest of his life. it really can happen at any time to anyone for any reason.... so whoever said up-thread, Health is Wealth, is very smart indeed. we always say "if u have your health, you have it all"....

annie1992, my thoughts and prayers are with u and all your family, all the best!!!

always love reading your posts, BTW :)

• annie1992
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

EJ, I didn't get that at all, I had to go look up Ashley Madison, I knew it was something and couldn't remember what the heck it was! LOL And I don't even have an excuse, other than my thoughts have been in other places!

Annie

• noodlesportland
    8 years ago

I have not read on this forum for a very long time but I remember Ashley and her wedding and....

Many thoughts and goodness sent your way.