SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jentiller

Establishing fall lawn from sod - central Texas

jentiller
8 years ago

Good afternoon: my husband and I are (re)establishing a St Augustine lawn (FJ Select) from sod that was laid 3 weeks ago. It is now well-rooted, and we are now watering deeply twice weekly. We are throwing corn meal like fiends (cooler nights in Austin ), have also put down corn gluten for weed control, and we are now wondering about top-dressing/fertilizer/compost/soil activator on such a new lawn. We are wanting to have it at top health before it starts to go dormant next month. I've read here that one of your experts puts compost on every holiday, even when dormant, but we're concerned about that with such a new lawn. Plus - it's still really warm here in Austin (high's in the 90's - STILL. Ugh.). We live in central Austin and have that Blackland clay soil common to the area. We did soil testing early on with good results.

We tried to establish this same lawn in early May and lost ~2/3 of it. We want this one to take! Your tips and advice are appreciated. We're not opposed to using traditional products but prefer to stay as organic as possible. Our previous St Aug lawn in Round Rock was all organic and was gorgeous.

Comments (9)