SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lucas_machias

cold tolerant pure American Chestnut seed

Lucas Machias
8 years ago

I am new here based on the recommendation of a member. I haven't figured out the site yet. It is a different forum that I am used to. It took hours to figured out email is mostly not available.

I tried to find user numbers for the forums. No luck. Anyone know, especially for the tree forum, my main interest?

Is this considered to be in the top 10 tree forums on the web?

I have followed tree forums for years but I am not a real expert. I am here mostly to learn and get advice.

Advice like where to get tree seed, especially cold tolerant pure American Chestnut seed from blight free areas. I have done excessive looking with few results. Apparently it is gold.

Even an AC researcher said,

"It is difficult to get "pure", blight-susceptible American chestnuts. TACF used to sell them, but we have been having trouble finding a good nursery with which to partner to provide this service again.There are other folks who say they have American chestnuts for sell, but, other than what ACCF has (which is almost always "pure" C. dentata), I can't really vouch for the "purity" of their material. "

Someone else said, "There are currently no commercial sources of pure American chestnuts on the West Coast. The best source, and usually the only source, is a "Chestnut Buddy".

Are there any sources known here or "Chestnut Buddies?"

Comments (11)