SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jgelman7

Proper Fertilizer / Weed Killer for Combined New and Old Lawn

jgelman7
8 years ago

I recently completed a project in which I re-seeded parts of an existing lawn. The front half of the lawn is new and the grass is healthy. The back half is old and there are weeds and discolored spots. You can see from the picture where the new grass is...the picture just shows the hay, but it is now healthy grass.

I would like to fertilize properly before heading into the winter, and the end goal is obviously to have one healthy lawn. I'm new to all this and am not sure what products to use. Should I fertilize the entire lawn with a winter fertilizer and weed killer, like a Scotts Weed and Feed? Will that have a negative impact on my new grass? Or I was thinking to first use a concentrated spray weed and feed only on the old grass, wait a month or so and then use a fertilizer over everything...but is this overkill that will lead to burning some of the grass?

Basically, looking for any assistance on how to prep this lawn for winter that will help me create one nice lawn as opposed to two separate lawns as I currently have. Thanks!

Comments (8)