SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
course411

Interested in house where pipes burst. Bad idea?

course411
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Almost a year ago, I got a pre-market tour of a house owned by a widower who planned to list the home with the same realty firm as our agent. DH and I were not ready to buy, so we let it pass. I took extensive photos of the interior, though. The owner was not living in it at the time.

It took 9 months for the house to come on the market, and here's why: after I saw it, and during the terrible snowy winter, the boiler seized up, and the pipes froze and burst. I don't know how long (or how much) water sat before the owner realized it.

The repairs and renovations were extensive (I have a long list) and today, the home looks great. In touring the home over the weekend, the only evidence of the damage was a musty smell in the (unfinished concrete) basement that was definitely not there when I toured it in December.

Should water damage like this be a dealbreaker? Besides testing for mold, what else should we be thinking about, asking about, paying attention to?

At the moment our interest level is pretty casual, and we're not in a rush to buy. We love the location of the home, otherwise we would pretty quickly write it off. Should we, anyway?

Comments (13)