SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
galadriel_lyons

Ficus elastica - dropping leaves, brown spots

Galadriel Lyons
8 years ago

I have a variegated ficus elastica plant, not sure of the exact variation (it's green, cream, and peach colored). I brought it home from the nursery this summer (August maybe?). Since I brought it home, it has definitely grown and I have noticed new leaves on it several times. However, it also seems to be dropping more leaves than it's putting out. I do believe it is getting an adequate amount of light, it's on my coffee table opposite a south-facing (but obstructed) window. The new leaves are variegated (a little less peach than the existing leaves, but it may also be the lighting in my room hiding this). I believe it's also started growing a new stem. But, it drops leaves so often, and they are usually have brown spots on them. I picked up about 5 last night and now the plant is looking pretty bare. It's always the lower leaves of the plant. I don't think I've been overwatering it - I think I've watered it about two or three times total since I brought it home, because according to my copy of "Success With Houseplants" it likes to dry out between waterings. I also have not repotted it (or potted up, if you're particular about the interchangeability of those terms) because my book also says it grows better when it is root-bound (which it hasn't achieved yet in the current container, at least I don't think) so I haven't changed the soil. I do think it could use a topdressing, but other than that, I can't understand what could be making this plant unhappy. Any ideas?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz