SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pharmdmomma

New build- kitchen layout ideas?

pharmd Momma
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi everyone, I've been lurking in this forum for a while and thought I'd post my plans here for some ideas, they need some work.

We're building a "standard" model with a builder in a development. Builder's standards are Schrock cabinetry, 3/8" furniture board, partial overlay. We have about 6k in our budget for cabinetry upgrades. We have the option of doing a 3k upgrade, would bump up this current layout to 1/2"plywood, full overlay, softclose, dovetail drawers.

We haven't selected appliances yet, I will do that before I sit down with the kitchen designer. But I intend on selecting an under-the-cabinet rangehood, not a microwave hood. Will be doing a standard 30" range, counter depth fridge.

Some points to consider:

1. I don't like leaving appliances on the counter top. I'd want a home for all of them (toaster, mini keurig, blender, microwave)

2.I'd like to open the kitchen up to Fam room a bit more. I have small kids, work full-time (some days even longer!), and I like to cook, so spend quite a bit of time in the evenings making meals/cleaning up. If the kitchen is open to fam room, I can keep an eye on the kids at the same time, and also feel like I'm a part of the action!

3. We're eliminating the little hallway from the laundry (making the powder a full bath), there will be a door into the family room directly across from the other door in the laundry. Some people who have built this plan previously have put a set of cabinets on the wall adjacent to the bathroom. Not sure how that actually works though, maybe the elimate the snack bar?

Comments (14)