SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
esksoftware

When does releveling a pier supported home make sense to you

E K
8 years ago

I recently had my manufactured home releveled. That's partly because a crack has appeared in the siding, and I guessed it might be the result of abnormal stress. I releveled also partly because the home's manufacturer and some people online recommend doing it periodically.

But now some of my windows and doors don't seal properly. Fixing this probably will require partly or entirely undoing the leveling (adjusting the steel piers so the main I-beams under the home are at heights similar to what they had before). I can't think of another way to make the windows and sliding glass door square enough.

This makes me wonder whether it's a bad idea to relevel (a realtor and her civil engineer husband, who were aware of the crack, told me that). And the company which installed the home told me that homes normally should never require releveling. Maybe that's because the local (San Diego county) soil is very solid?

Should the relative heights of the I-beams be recorded when any manufactured home is first installed, and all future releveling be done with the goal of restoring those original positions? That would be good for new home buyers to know, even though it won't do me any good.

What do you think? Thanks for your ideas!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner