grumperoo

Rules that make sense

grumperoo
10 years ago

Looking for feedback...
Legal Item
Rule
Basis
1. Only insecticides permitted on our specific list and formula which are generally accepted as safe can be used and must be applied correctly. All members of the garden have the right to question pesticide application . Many garden insecticides while organic or home brews may have dangerous ingredients when used in a garden. Only pesticides of known origin and commonly accepted as safe and organic should be used. Further some home brews or generally accepted as safe may be abused. http://www.getipm.com/articles/letters/pyrethrin-horses.htm In China and California, banned “miracle chalk” insecticide with arsenic and lead are still used in many gardens. Dubious mixtures were implicated in the poisoning of 2 children in a case at a circa 1929 Milwaukee orphanage.
2. Pest control may only be applied on non-harvest days. Harvest days are designated weekly as Tuesday. Thursday and Saturday. Many pesticides inactivate after a day making harvested vegetables safer.
3. Non potable watering sources will not be applied on harvest days. Non potable water can raise health risks especially when wet.
4. Plot is for the sole purpose of a gardening in the “Garden”) to be assigned by the organization to community members. Gardens may not be used for other purposes.
5. Plot is assigned for use by the _____ day of ____________ until the ______ day of ____________________
6. Plot is to be kept clear of weeds from the opening day to the final day of growing even if not planted. Poor appearance and noxious weed growth.
7. Failing to keep the plot clear and planting by June 1st will forfeit the plot and will incur a maintenance charge of $_____ per month if the community garden cannot reassign the plot. Fees paid will not be refunded.
8. Harvest garden produce as they ripen. Ripe produce attracts vandals and animals.
9. Gardeners will attend on their assigned work days.
10. Rent will be charged at $_______ per ________
11. No Potatoes may be planted. Carries disease blight to tomatoes.
12. Only the plot gardener may give permission to harvest on their plot. Other gardeners are not allowed to pick without that permission. The plot gardener “owns” all the produce as long they are the assigned gardener. In general, gardeners must garden their own plot.
13. Gardeners may not resell any produce. This 1) exposes the garden to liability from food poisoning issues; 2) encourages commercial groups into enterprises that reduce access to private community-based gardeners; and 3) eliminates support from the neighboring community and affects the tax status of the garden.
14. Toys or attractive nuisance items cannot be on the site. Gardens contain hazards to children.
15. Each gardener is responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of their garden plot. Watering, weeding, harvesting and any other garden related maintenance are all the responsibility of the gardener. Gardeners may arrange for other gardeners to water, weed or harvest their plots. Please notify the coordinator.
16. Tools will be made available for use during the regularly scheduled work time each week. A limited number of tools, hoses and watering equipment will be available in the community garden storage bin for use during non-scheduled work times. Regularly scheduled work times will be posted on the garden bulletin board.
17. Each gardener will be given one key to the garden and the storage bin for access to tools and watering equipment. Gardeners are responsible for bringing that key each time they work in the garden. Keep garden gate and storage bin locked at all times and return all tools. Put all bags and items in the shed or take them home.
18. Children are welcome in the garden but must be accompanied by an adult and must be supervised at all times.
19. Each gardener must complete a Release of all Claims form before any work in the garden can begin.
20. Garden plots should be cared for at least once a week. It is the gardener's responsibility to notify the coordinator if he or she is not able to care for their plot in any given week. If any plot remains unattended for more than three weeks that plot is subject to reassignment. Even if not yet planted.
21. The application of herbicides (weed killers) to the garden plots is prohibited.
22. Assignment of garden plots will be awarded by a lottery first come first served system. Preference for next year's plots will be given to this year's participants first.
23. Plot fees are due in full before the garden season begins.
24. Gardeners may harvest vegetables and flowers from their garden plot only. Ripe produce is not available for others. Please note that any permission to harvest must be given in a written or email format.
25. At the end of the growing season, gardeners are responsible for clearing their plot of all plant material and leaving the plot as they found it in the spring.
26. The Garden Committee is responsible for ensuring that the rules are followed at all times. The committee is made up of gardeners (s)elected each year at the spring meeting.
27. A good neighbor policy will be followed at all times.
28. Gardeners shall not park in business lots nor block traffic but shall only park in the areas designated.
29. Illegal or dangerous plants will not be planted.
30. Entry into the garden by others may be challenged by any person in the garden. Expect and respond respectfully.
31. The area is monitored. Smile for the camera.
32. The garden is not the place for arguments.
33. I will pay a fee of $___ to help cover garden expenses.
34. I will have something planted in the garden by (date) and keep it planted all summer long.
35. If I must abandon my plot for any reason, I will notify the garden leadership.
36. I will keep weeds at a minimum and maintain the areas immediately surrounding my plot if any. If my plot becomes unkempt, I understand I will be given 1 week's notice to clean it up. At that time, it will be re-assigned or tilled in.
37. I will keep trash and litter out of the plot, as well as from adjacent pathways and fences.
38. I will participate in the fall cleanup of the garden.
39. I will plant tall crops where they will not shade neighboring plots.
40. A good neighbor policy will be followed at all times.
41. I will pick only my own crops unless given permission by another plot user.
42. I will not use fertilizers, insecticides or weed repellents that will in any way affect other plots.
43. I agree to volunteer hours toward community gardening efforts.(include a list of volunteer tasks which your garden needs).
44. I will not bring pets to the garden.
45. I understand that neither the garden group nor owners of the land are responsible for my actions. I THEREFORE AGREE TO HOLD HARMLESS THE GARDEN GROUP AND OWNERS OF THE LAND FOR ANY LIABILITY, DAMAGE, LOSS OR CLAIM THAT OCCURS IN CONNECTION WITH USE OF THE GARDEN BY ME OR ANY OF MY GUESTS.
46. I will not act in a manner that reduces the viability of the garden in the long term but understand the garden is a sustained enterprise.
47. I will expect to pay a reasonable amount for the garden. On average, a community garden has a minimal initial cost at $1-2 per square foot as an enterprise. Operating costs are ½ that. http://www.urbanharvest.org/cgardens/startguide.html http://www.urbanharvest.org/cgardens/startguide/constructing.html
48. I will wash all produce properly in clean water and a soak before consuming it. I will provide the provenance of the produce to any I give it to and ask them to clean their produce. I will not place uncleaned produce with clean produce.
49. I will not use manure in the garden.
50. I will not compost noxious weeds nor raw manure nor kitchen waste.

Comments (16)

Sponsored