SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cynic_gw

Didn't think it was a full moon but people were acting like it (long)

cynic
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I got a call from my sister who needed a ride. She was at the vet with one of her cats and the key wouldn't work in the ignition of her car when she was going to leave. She's had that issue before with this car so she needed a ride to go get her other key. No problem. I got ready and was backing out of the driveway when something caught my eye next door. Took a minute to figure out what wasn't quite right. Then it hit me. The (newly moved in) neighbors had put their utility trailer in my yard. I have a tree that blocked some of the view but when I figured it out I was kind of annoyed. Thought it was rather presumptuous to just park it on my lawn without asking. OK, here we go again. Had my fill of another neighbor who lived there some years ago who decided my yard was their yard so they could use it when they wanted, including taking down my fence so they could drive and wheel trailers and stuff across my property to get to their back yard. That didn't go over well either. The back yard is fenced so there should be no question as to the boundary line unless their diet has had too many paint chips all their lives or something.

So back to the story: I didn't want to take time to go talk to them, and who knows how that would go, and I knew I didn't have time to call a tow truck and have it hauled away. So I just grunted it back onto their driveway so they'd get the message. The ground is very soft and the wheels and especially the front (tongue) wheel had dug in a lot. Not in physical condition anymore to be moving heavy trailers around so it wasn't making me any happier. I'm not the type to worry about my lawn anymore but I do not appreciate the what's mine is mine and what's YOURS is mine attitude either. I left it sitting crosswise in their driveway, they'll probably figure out how it got there.

So, I left, exhausted and shaking my head and knew I was behind schedule for picking up my sister too. Got there, brought her home and got her key, returned and I parked next to her car while she tried it to make sure it worked. She asked if I wanted to go have breakfast which was fine and while we were talking about where to go I see this woman in an SUV backing toward a parked car. I knew she was going to hit it and before I could honk or yell, there was a CRUNCH! She hit bumper to bumper and was probably only going 3-4 mph (that's 4.828032001844076-6.437376002458769 kph for my metric friends and enemies alike) but it was loud. She just looked around and started driving off. NO WAY! I've been the victim of hit and run accidents before and this was not going to happen in front of me. My sister grabbed the license number and I wrote it down. She stopped and got out, went and looked at the car, looked around and walked back to her SUV. I gave her the benefit of the doubt that she went to get something to write on or park her vehicle to go in or something but no, she started driving away. I started honking my horn. Was reaching for the camera to take a picture and she stopped to make the turn out of the parking lot. I followed her. She was waiting for traffic to clear (not that there was much) so I pulled up next to her, rolled down the window and asked if she was going to go in and talk to the owner of the car. "Oh, I checked and there's no damage" I asked again, aren't you going to go tell the owner? "Oh there was no damage." Before I asked her if she knew what "H&R" is, I said I still think she should at least talk to them. Quite frustrated an annoyed she goes "Well if you think so". I started backing in and looked and she started pulling out onto the road. I took a picture of the car so I'd have a shot of the license plate and I don't know if she saw that or not but she turned into the next lot and turned around and came back. OK, she went in and came out a few minutes later.

My sister and I talked about whether she actually talked to someone or just went in to pacify me and while she was maneuvering around to leave, what do you suppose happens? CRUNCH! She hit the light pole for the parking lot light! SHEESH! I took another picture of her car. I wish I would have had it in video mode. And no, she didn't get out to check for damage. The pole stood but the way she hit, if it had gone down it would have gone right on top of the car she hit. Unreal.

We had decided where to go for breakfast and while we were pulling out, saw the people come out who owned the car. As we left we stopped and asked if she had talked to them. She said they had but she had damaged it a few times before so she wasn't too worried about it. Her body guy told her to just wait until she gets some major damage and fix everything then. Fine with me, that's her choice, just so she was informed.
With a minimum age for driving, I still have to wonder if there shouldn't be a maximum age. Even though I'm heading that direction. :)

For those wondering, the cat is back home and very happy to be home too. We had an enjoyable breakfast. And when I returned the trailer had been moved to the side of their house, on their property.

So, what next?

Comments (9)