SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ascorsonelli

Fireplace and built-ins-- Second guessing my design

ascorsonelli
8 years ago

Met with carpenter last week to discuss cabinetry. GC decided CM will just do entire fireplace and surround as well. I'm not 100% on my plan for the wall, and would love some suggestions while there's still time to change. Keep in mind, the walls are up and the (wood-burning, gas starter) firebox already installed, so those are untouchable.

I'm going for a Craftsman look minus the windows above the built-ins. Needed wall space for DH's deer (yes, ridiculous, I'm aware) and will place those on either side of fireplace instead of windows. Wall is 18' long by 10' tall; prints called for 6' fireplace centered, however it's closer to 7'. (Need to double check. It's between 6.5-7' for sure.)

You can find other dimensions on the sketch below. Will use a penny or hex tile 7" wide (vice 6" as drawn) with wood stands (is that the right word??) on either side. Mantel would be a distressed wooden beam that wraps on all three sides of fireplace box. The sides will not be as deep as the front. Above the fireplace will be 8" wide shiplap and a tv. (side note: using shiplap as backsplash in kitchen)

On either side of fireplace--lower cabinets with one or two rows of shelving set back about an 1" on top of cabinets. The trim piece at top of shelving would fall just below the mantel.

***ignore the left side

It's sounding more and more fussy as I try to describe it...... help me please!

Comments (28)