SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_9268002

Halloween Costumes for Grown Up couple

User
8 years ago

We are invited to a Halloween party- we had stopped by last year and probably 95% of the people were in costume. (we were not)......so this year we would like to go costumed.

I am hoping all you creative imaginative types will have some great easy suggestions. (This is marginally out of my comfort zone so be gentle.) thanks

Comments (28)

• User
    8 years ago

Have you looked at Pinterest? Hundreds of ideas for couples.

• User
    8 years ago

My DIL went to a party last year dressed as a sheep. My son went as a shepherd.

• Related Discussions

OT: Happy Halloween Everyone!!!! (Costume Pictures)

Q

Comments (5)
    And then a step to the right.... Great costume, Brad. We're not dressing up this year, haven't for a while now but somewhere someone in this extended family has a couple of large boxes of costumes from past Halloweens. I know there is Raggedy Anne/Andy, a nurse and a baseball player, pair of leopards (those are oh! so cute, head to toe onsie pattern), individual crayon costumes that make up a box of colors, a bride and groom where the groom is womens sized, bride a large man....you brought up some great memories just now! We'll have approx 150 children at the door, always fun, especially the littlest..... It's one of DH's favorite holidays.
    ...See More

Post the best food and costumes you saw on Halloween!

Q

Comments (23)
    I know that it was a very happy birthday indeed! I can only echo all of the comments posted before. She's a beauty and there's such a strong resemblance!
    ...See More

Halloween costume for my boobs

Q

Comments (7)
    Thanks, Ladies, for your replies and well wishes! I like the surgical gloves idea and may use it but I'm gonna try making a "BOO out of poster board and hide the B under my arm and put the cut out O's on each boob then " unfold" the B when I unrobe! Just gotta play with it at home and see if it's workable. Being excited about surprising the nurse make going much easier! It's the waiting afterwards that's painful! Regina
    ...See More

Need ideas for cute/funny adult Halloween costume

Q

Comments (27)
    Thanks everyone for all the fun ideas. For a while there I was considering having DH be a king and I'd be a court jester. But, the party is on a Fri. night, which makes prep a little more tricky, decided to keep things simple also since we're hosts... so we are going to be the Skipper (DH) and Gilligan (me) from Gilligan's Island.
    ...See More
  • LynnNM
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

OMG, this brings back such good memories! One of my all time favorite movies is " Excalibur ". The last Halloween costume party we attended, we went as Merlin & Morgana. My mom and I designed and made our costumes and they were so great. My mom was fantastic at designing and sewing. We hit Goodwill for gorgeous draperies that we dyed and cut up for parts of our costumes. Keep that place in mind if you're good at sewing.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

I find costuming so much fun!

We went as Bonnie & Clyde one year...DH wore an oversized suit that we got at the good will with a black shirt and white tie and a fedora. I made myself a flapper dress with lots of fringe on it and wore very long beads. Even found some seamed stockings and made a glittery headband with a decoration and feathers.

Another year, we went as Romeo and Juliet. Mom did a great job making me a cone hat out of a placemat! She covered it in the same fabric that I made my gown out of and we attached a long veil to the end of the cone. I had the long pointy sleeves on my empire dress. It was so much fun. DH wore an old wig of my Mom's and we made him striped bloomers to wear with black tights and black slippers. And we had this wonderful brimmed floppy hat for him too.

The last time we dressed, he wore his tux to which I added a black rose. I put make up "wounds" on his face which was easy to do with tissue and glue, but it took a little time. I had a fancy white satin blouse so I just bought some matching satin to make a long skirt so it looked like a bridal gown. I added a veil, carried some black roses tied with black ribbon and then went to town on my makeup. We made a great looking zombie bride and groom. Even got a gift certificate for our costumes from our favorite restaurant!

Friends of ours went as the Blues Brothers.

I was thinking though how cool it would be to get DH to go as Walter White from breaking bad...a windbreaker, pork pie hat, and sunglasses and he's good to go...I could go as Jessie...or Walter's beleaguered wife Skylar...

I still remember the guy who went as a restaurant table...a large piece of cardboard covered with a checked fabric and then he glued on paper plates, napkins etc. His head came through the center and he stuck some flowers in his hair as the centerpiece.

When I was much younger and fitter, I went as a black cat....leotards and tights and black slippers. I made ears out of black construction paper, a tail out of a rolled up long narrow piece of fake fur which I pinned on, and then did the cat make up and white gloves.

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

We have done several 'couple' costumes. Popeye and Olive Oyl were one of my favorites. Easy to put together and I bought cans of spinach, took the labels off & put them on cups so we could have our spinach as a drink.

Then I made us Fred and Wilma Flintstone costumes. Easy to make. We also went as the Blues Brothers and the American Gothic farmers. I was solo a couple of times at work as the Hallmark cartoon 'Maxine'. Won a prize for that one.

• blfenton
    8 years ago

This year we are going as Catwoman and Batman. Costumes are just about finished. I was able to put most of it together (capes, boots, masks) from other past costumes. I picked up a few things inexpensively from a party store and Winners.

• eandhl2
    8 years ago

We went as Raggedy Ann & Andy one year. I dyed string mops & cut/ styled for hair. Denim & plaid etc. we were younger & went as Peter Pan & Tinkerbell. That took more work & sewing.

• User
    8 years ago

Big believer here in making your own costumes rather than renting them. Where's the creativity there??

One year, I was completely stuck on what to "go as" to a Halloween party, and at the last minute, I was desperate, so I cut a metal clothes hanger so that I could wear it on my head like a headband, with the hook sticking out of my head, and I threw a dry-cleaning bag over my head, like a dress, and went as a bag of dry cleaning. Easiest, simplest costume, but people got a surprising kick out of it.

(I have three sisters, and so that we'd all stay together while trick-or-treating one year when we were young, and so the older ones would keep an eye on the youngers, my mother sent us out as a chain gang! Lol. Dressed in prison blues and stripes with a cardboard "chain" attached to all of us at our ankles).

A couple, huh? Going as Donald and Melania Trump would be hilarious. Practice your squinting!

• daisychain Zn3b
    8 years ago

We went as salt and pepper shakers one year. One dressed all in white, the other in black and we tacked a big S and P on our chests. Took a couple of those paper chef hats and did dots in sharpie marker on the top for holes.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

Friend went one year as black and white...she painted half her face black with white eyes and lips, the other half white with black eyes and lips. She split a black shirt and a white shirt in half and sewed them together...did the same thing pants. One black sock and shoe, one white sock and shoe. I can't remember what she did with her hair though...

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

I figure there will be loads of Donald Trumps and Hillarys this year.

I almost forgot one from a long time ago. A friend made a cardboard brick costume for his wife. Sounds weird but it really did look like a brick and hung down almost to the floor. He dressed in overalls, a plaid shirt, had a trowel in his pocket and a ball cap on and was.....wait for it....the Brick-layer. I know, I know (hangs head in shame)!

• busybee3
    8 years ago

my favorite (and by far easiest!!!) costume we've ever made was my hub was 'Jake, from state farm" and I was his wife... it was a few yrs ago when that commercial first came out. my hub was happy because his outfit was totally in his comfort zone- khakis, red shirt and a SF nametag- and I was very comfy in a robe!

• Boopadaboo
    8 years ago

I have not dressed up in YEARS. I will be this year. We bought tickets for MNSSHP at Disneyworld this year. The kids will be really disappointed if we don't all dress up. I am debating on the mad hatter and a pirate. :0 I think the hat might be annoying on rides, but I LOVE the costume I found.

• Sueb20
    8 years ago

We have hosted, and been guests at, a few Halloween parties over the past few years. DH and I have been John Lennon and Yoko Ono, the Skipper and Gilligan, a zombie bride and groom, tourists (Hawaiian shirts, shorts, cameras, etc), Little Red Riding Hood and the wolf...and I'm trying to remember other couples too. Willy Wonka and an Oompa Loompa (this one was great), Princess Leia and Darth Vader, local sports figures, hmm can't remember many others.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    8 years ago

The theme at my kid's youth group last year was puns. There are so many possibilities that you could use if you want that route.

• robo (z6a)
    8 years ago

You can order giant foam costumes that are easy to wear. I dressed up as a giant banana last year and it was a huge hit with the young trick r treaters who really don't "get" the funnier grown up costumes.

• debrak_2008
    8 years ago

Recently saw a photo of a milkman and a 1950's housewife ;) of course not everyone will get this. Even I'm too young but remember hearing jokes about a kid looking like the milkman etc. I thought it was a cute idea.

My friends (girls) and I are going out as pirates. We don't want the costume type outfits so putting the outfits together using "real" clothes that can be used again. Our theme is pirates of the caribbean type of pirate. I haven't dressed up in years so I'm excited!

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I am enjoying reading the stories you all have shared- ( I guess I should have mentioned that I am a non sewer)....

• jakabedy
    8 years ago

I love the ones that are timely and a bit in bad taste (like a few years ago, it was a Chilean miner and is girlfriend). This year I suppose it would be some of the presidential candidates, or Caitlyn Jenner (I think we already had that thread.

A couple I know was truly inspired in making their choice this year:

Shields and Yarnell! I know some of you remember them.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

I have pics from the 50s when Mom & Dad had a costume party. Mom and Dad went as an organ grinder and monkey...another couple was purple people eaters...another went as punkin heads. Mom said that at first it was the most boring party in the world as no one wanted to say anything as then they'd reveal who they were. Once someone broke the ice though, then they had a good time.

• busybee3
    8 years ago

i have a couple of friends who used to really like to throw halloween parties-- i used to love sewing costumes for my kids, but never spent too much time on my own!

one year I went as a zombie graduate... wore an old graduation cap and gown... my hub wasn't home that yr, but something like that doesn't req sewing! if you have old cap and gowns, it's easy- only some makeup req! the zombie or corpse theme is easy to translate to different things- if you have scrubs you could be corpse doctor/nurse, lab coat- scientist or dentist, wedding dress or party dress- zombie bride, etc, etc... of course, with that theme you have to be ok with looking kindof scary!!

• hhireno
    8 years ago

One of you wears Army-style camouflage pants, the other wears a camo tee or shirt (bonus points if your name is on the shirt like a soldier would have, double bonus points if you have dog tags) - together you represent an Upper and Lower GI. Simple costume, no sewing required, no weird makeup needed, and comfortable to wear.

ETA: as I hit submit I remembered another costume. He was Charlie Brown (black shorts, I basted black Rick-rack cut felt to a yellow polo shirt) and I was Snoopy (white sweat pants and tee, black felt ears basted to a headband, a dog collar as a necklace). My husband doesn't like to dress up so I keep things simple and comfortable. Comfort is the most important feature of a costume.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

Tacky but memorable and definitely adult...one party I was at, a gal went as a flasher...wore a man's hat and trench coat and pants and shirt. Then she made the ** by stuffing fiber fill into a knee-hi stocking and pinned it into the pants fly. Needless to say, she was a well endowed flasher. She was a real extrovert and somehow it fit her personality.

• User
    8 years ago

Several years ago I went to a couple of Halloween parties dressed as zombie Princess Diana and DH was a paparazzo. Rather tasteless, I know, but it was fun - except for the wig that actually did "snatch me bald-headed" in a spot after wearing it for five hours!

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    8 years ago

A few years ago a friend of mine and her husband had a very unique couples costume. He wore a black and white stripes shirt and black pants as a football ref and she wore a yellow sheet. He would blow his whistle and she would fling herself to the ground. She of course was his yellow flag on the play. It was hilarious. She was very dramatic on the flinging herself.
    I too saw someone go as dinner for 2, he had a cardboard "table" around his waist, table cloth, table set with dishes for 2 and wine glasses. He wore the waiters outfit and was serving a bottle of wine. He won the contest. He really did an excellent job on the whole setup. Another cute one I saw a couple do, husband dressed as a hobo or homeless person and the wife wore a big brown cardboard box. His refrigerator box home.

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

My DD and her SO went as Sheldon and Amy from the tv show 'Big Bang Theory'. No sewing required. She went to the Goodwill store or somewhere and bought stuff for them to wear (a cardigan and blouse for her, a t-shirt for him), so didn't spend a lot.

• User
    8 years ago

Kim Davis and her husband. Or, Kim Davis and the Pope ;-)