SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shaneld

Plant seed now, add tpp soil in spring and seed again?

shaneld
8 years ago

I've spent this summer removing the old sod from my backyard and tilling up the top 4-5 inches. It is now October and I am not sure what direction I should go at this point. From what I have read, I think my window to plant seed has passed or is coming to a close really soon. I live in the Willamette Valley in Oregon so based on past reading I probably have a bigger window than most.

My issue is that I have really rocky soil and since it is so late in the season I feel like I need to decide between two things (Ideally I would have time to do both). 1) Bring in top soil, then plant seed. 2) Install a sprinkler system and bring in the top soil and plant in the early spring next year.

I would really like to have a sprinkler system installed but figured I didn't have the time for it. Now that it is October, I feel like I have missed my planting window so maybe I actually do have time to install a sprinkler system. Since I don't want a muddy mess in my backyard this fall/winter, could I install a sprinkler system now and plant seed once I was done? Then come spring, I could bring in the top soil and replant the same seed on top of the existing one?

Hope this makes since to someone and looking forward to some advice.

Thanks,
Eric

Comment (1)