SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristin_williams_gw

What Hummingbird plants are you growing from seed this spring?

kristin_williams
17 years ago

Just thought it might be fun to see if anyone else has turned their house into a greenhouse this spring.

To save money, I'm growing a bunch of things from seed:

Hollyhocks "Heirloom Single Mixed Colors," and "Indian Spring"

Eccremocarpus scaber "Tresco Mixed," and "Tresco Crimson"

I'm so excited that these are sprouting. The seedlings are incredibly tiny, maybe only 1 millimeter across for both leaves. It's hard to believe they will ever grow to be 8 foot vines.

Salvia coccinea "Hummingbird Mixed"

Penstemon barbatus "Iron Maiden" I was worried these would be hard to sprout and might need a chilling period, but I can see a few of them are starting to come up. They're supposed to be excellent hummer flowers, scarlet in color, with blooms in late summer.

Still to plant are my Cypress vines, Cardinal Climbers, Mina lobata, and Ipomoea coccinea. I've never grown Mina Lobata, so it will be interesting to see what it's like. I'm also going to put a couple Scarlet Runner Beans with my usual pole beans in the vegetable garden. Now the little hummers will have something to investigate in the vegetable garden besides the tomato flowers. Do they actually get nectar out of those tomato flowers?

Pretty soon I'm going to be overwhelmed with seedlings. Anyone else in a similar boat?

Comments (22)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor
More Discussions