SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sleevendog

Canning my salsa?

And pickles...

I've been thinking about this and reading for weeks...you could say years since i do read other posts in various forums including 'harvest'.

I've been making my salsa for years from garden harvest. It is more like a Pico de Gallo style though not at all chunky. Very fresh and not at all thick and chunky and no added tomato paste. (Pace is hated here and considered junk.)

I have only focused on approved recipes for salsa and even stumbled on a 'free form' salsa that gives ingredient choices...BUT...approved meant bottled lemon. etc.

And i see no weight and measure.

I need, for example...a recipe that includes

10lbs crushed fresh tomatoes, (have Jersey rutgers).

2 lbs solids, including onion, peppers, garlic, most are smoked. (low heat but soft smoked...1 hour)

1 cup apple cider vinegar

juice of 2 limes

i full cup cilantro including stems.

A bit of salt and pepper

1/4 cup or just two tbsp after tasting for sweetness...maple syrup or honey or balsamic. OR, two asian pears. (a nice thickener)

Seems like enough acid...?!

Anywho, i may be fence-sitting. I've looked at various methods for canning salsa and pickles, acidic things...and looked at the Fagor kit, and the All American. And then on Tomatoville someone was taking a class for those that sell at market and they are leaning towards the European method. oy. _heat the product, heat and sterilize the container, cap and sit upside down on a towel to cool? No water bath or pressure? (or i read that wrong)

(i'm off work tomorrow and maybe friday as well due to a 'vip' at work that is sick....a crazy bug going around in NY right now)...i'm fine but everyone at work is sick.

All through the winter months i take out a small frozen package of smoked tomatillos, smoked hot peppers, sweet smoked peppers, and some garden grown frozen toms, them wiz with fresh lime, fresh red onion, red sweet pepper, fresh cilantro...and sometimes frozen garden corn. A quick method that is a hit of garden fresh flavor...i want to 'can/jar' it but fear any heat will destroy that fresh flavor...

(my new giant up-right freezer is so full, lol)... darn fruit tree harvest this year.

I don't even have ball jars and fresh lids...but a BedBath-and B is right around the corner.

oh well.

I'm leaning towards going for it, : ) If i can get what i need tomorrow. And the weather is nasty with wind and rain for days to come...I've been waiting for sour weather to finally start dealing with all this veg and fruit. And some good bone stock that has been frozen and waiting.

Comments (8)