SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weeniedesigner

My contractor wants to limit me to a single cabinet line - advice???

weeniedesigner
8 years ago

I am gutting the kitchen of a house I just purchased. I interviewed several contractors and ruled out going with a "design/build" firm because I didn't want to be limited to selecting from their choices.

I went with a GC who I like and trust. He started with an overall quote of $62K which is over my budget. The primary issue was opening up a load-bearing wall. I also dropped some items outside of the kitchen (laundry room, floors in other room) to save money. We agreed on a demo contract for $14.5K to assess possibilities for load-bearing wall. All went well. He came back with a quote of $52 to finish the job. I said I can't sign that when we don't even know details about cabinets and countertops. We agreed to a framing/drywall contract for $11.5K. All went well.

During this time we have gone back and forth on the layout of the kitchen. I've drawn several sketches outlining what I want and he goes to his cabinet guy for the drawings. They never matched and I started to realize that my GC is probably used to installing simple kitchens. I kept asking to see a sample cabinet and countertop and he never gave me one. In the meantime, I suggested several changes to get the cabinet costs down. He said none of them would work but there is a "special" for one door style that would get us within a $25-$30 range. I said again that I need to see the cabinets before spending that kind of money. The answer was we don't really have anything to show you.

I found a design center that carried a full display of the cabinet line within 20 miles and visited them myself. I do not like the cabinets and I found a line I like much better AND help with selecting cabinets, placement, etc. Essentially all the design help I had not gotten from him. I said I found the cabinets and didn't like them but I had found a line I like much better.

I know that he makes his profit on materials and that is OK. But I am not paying $30K for cabinets he couldn't show me and then when I found them, I didn't like anyway.

I am getting ready to pay the balance of the framing/drywall cabinet. My assumption is he is not happy that I want to go with a different kitchen cabinet. Do I ask for the next quote to be labor and materials but that I will purchase the cabinets and countertops for him to install if he approves the layout?

I am really at a loss. I like him, I don't like his cabinets or countertops and I don't want to pay for something I can't see/feel. I told him that repeatedly.

Where did I go wrong? Where did he go wrong? And what should I do now?

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments (13)