SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smyles_gw

Need hood advice for 30' bluestar w/limited space

smyles
15 years ago

I purchased a 30" RCS Blues Star and knew I would need to remove my OTR micro (that I recently bought). The MW is mounted under a cabinet and the underside of the cabinet is just 30 3/4" above the stove. Inside that cabinet(and this is my biggest issue I think) is a 7" exhaust hole in the wall. The bottom of that hole is just 41" above the stove.

I live in a small single story condo and I can't raise the 7" exhaust hole that feeds a square exhaust channel in the wall. Also, there are cabinets on either side of the cabinet with the exhaust hole. I think I can tear out the middle cabinet, which would only allow a 30" hood. I could tear out all of the cabs. for a 36' hood if need be.

Here are my questions?

Am I out of luck? since I only have 11" to work with (and that's assuming I could immmeditaly 90 out of the top of the hood and 90 into the wall) if the hood bottom is to be 30" from the top of the burners? At 36" from the burners I would have just 6"?

Being 6'1" I would rather have the hood 36" from the range, so I'm wondering about dimensions. 30" x 24" or 30" x 27"? Go all out and remove all cabinets for a 36" by 24" or 36" x 27".

I should admit I don't cook much, bachelor that I am, but I am a bit of a research hound and since my circa 1985 Gaffer & Sattler melted it's wires again I went on the hunt for a nice stove. Wrong word I know. Now I'm going to need to cut the drywall, move the gas line, move the elec. outlet, move-rework cabinets. Everything is snowballing and I'm thinking about new countertops now. lol

I'm hoping to just tear out the one cabinet in the middle but want to do it right the first time. I got a great price, but maybe I need to sell it and go back to a play stove. :)

Thanks for all of the great informative posts and any suggestions!!

Comments (4)