SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkyartoo

Fall Dinner Menu

Funkyart
8 years ago

My brother turns 50 early next month and has been adamant about not having a party-- he has agreed to a small "not a party" dinner. He's been to germany for Oktoberfest a few times so it seems like a good theme to start with given it will be October.. problem is, I don't really want to serve typical oktoberfest foods. I am more thinking a flavorful fall menu and thought I'd get some input from you guys!

I have great memories of the two of us staying up all night in our early 20s to tend to a grill and pork shoulder for one of our family gatherings so I think that's what I'll do for the main dish. I saw a recipe on Food 52 for a Matilda (spiced fruity belgian ale), Maple and Garlic Pork Shoulder that I think I'll give a go. It might be a little risky to use an untried recipe but it looks pretty solid and I think it sounds perfect for a fall menu.

Dinner will be casual and served buffet style.. I am looking for simple, rustic and flavorful dishes...this is my loose plan as of now. Nothing is set in stone!

• Starters? Not sure it's necessary but since many will be traveling, will be nice to have something to munch on prior to dinner.. are herbed nuts too simple? rosemary olive oil popcorn?

• Matilda, Maple & Garlic Pork Shoulder

• Maple-cumin Grilled Onions or roasted cipollini onions

• Roasted Brussels Sprouts

• Mashed Butternut Squash

• Sharp Cheddar Mac & Cheese (the kids love and expect it.. my dad will make it)

• Selection of beers

• A Cider cocktail or fall sangria

• Dessert??? Thinking I'll need a few options. No cheesecake.. thinking I'd like to do something with cider, apples or pears...

Comments (33)