SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jodinovak

Hardwood Floor Dilemma ... Appreciate Your Input!

8 years ago

Hello,

We are in the process of a new home build (very exciting). I had spent hours researching to find our ideal wood selection (type, species, grain, plank size, etc) and then finishing options. To complete the backstory: we are 'busy' family with numerous children of both the two-legged and four-legged varieties. We acknowledge that all of our beloved housemates can be rough on hardwood floors and have accepted that over time our floors will acquire scratches, and will need to sustain the occasional wine/urine/whatever spills.

Really fell in love with the Hardwax Oil option for both the rich appearance and texture of the finished wood. I could also appreciate how these finishes will 'patina' and look more lived & loved over time. Also okay with the anticipated routine maintenance. Problem came, however, when I ordered a few samples of white oak already refinished with HWO. As other samples, I subjected these to my test of creating minor scratches, then leaving wine and oil spills for several hours. After ~4 hours, I wiped off the wine, and to my disappointment, they stained horribly!! From there I had moved on to other finish types, sadly, but resigned to the importance of durability in our final selection. Next fell upon an Ultra-Matt Water Polyurethane product that seemed alright. Well, the floors are to be installed the end of next month and I still keep wishing the Hardwax Oil option worked. Thus, my posting this morning.

Can anyone reading this with first hand experience living with HWO finished floors reply? Are you happy with them? Have they stained easily?

Thank you!!

Comments (5)