SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blue_jean_baby

thinking of switching dog food brands, suggestions?

blue_jean_baby
8 years ago

I have an older (probably 10 y.o.) female rottie. She is a rescue, I will have had her 7 years this Thanksgiving and the shelter estimated her at 3-5 y.o. at that time.

Currently I am feeding her Gentle Giant kibble, and she has had that in the past with no problems. She's been eating it for 2 1/2 months this go around and cleans her bowl. She's been blowing her coat like crazy, which I attributed to the crazy hot weather. Now she is getting dandruff flakes though. The combination makes me wonder if a food change is needed or maybe just some type of supplement. She gets plain yogurt with her kibble at least 3 times a week, about 1/4 cup.

We had moved when I started her on Gentle Giant again, so there has been a change of water too, but there has been plenty of time to get used to that. It wasn't well water before and isn't now so I don't really think that's is relevant but just in the interest of full info.

I had a scare in May when she was hospitalized with severe pancreatitis and severe gastritis - no known cause- so I am leery of just adding oil or something. Too much grease/oil might cause a flare up.

I went to dogfoodadvisor.com, it says GG is a good average food, and I can afford it. The last time I got Blue Buffalo (and it's been a few years) it was about 3 times the price. I presume Gentle Giant is one of the best you can buy at the grocery. I do have a nearby Petsmart and there are various feed stores, thankfully the grocery store is not my only option.

What do you all think? Is it just that GG isn't the best for her at this time? What do you like (for older large breed dogs in particular) that doesn't cost the moon? I am also considering adding some Blue Buff canned food to her diet, 1/3 to 1/2 can per day, and not switching kibble.

Sorry, this was longer than I thought it would be!

Dawn

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz