SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
akrrm

Some new sans

I ordered some new sans, a couple were out so I received subs and extras. Very cool plants.

Comments (30)

• akrrm (Nancy in NJ 7a)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The order was from Bob Smoley. Hopefully the silver and golden hahnii will last for me. I've had a golden hahnii before and killed it. The variegated masoniana was a sub, it has a giant rhizome, not sure what size pot to put it in. The metallica variegated was also a sub, it was one a was considering ordering. Very happy with my order.

• Related Discussions

Some new Sans

Q

Comments (41)
    You know, Toni, I was kind of thinking along the lines of Pandanus/Dracaena/Yucca....as there are many different cultivars, and depending on it's lighting...they sometimes do get a few twists/turns and dips in the trunks. I say this because I have a plant that was grown from a cutting from a plant that my mother had. I remember we gave this to her for Mother's Day in the late seventies. My Dad gave me a cutting of the plant in the eighties. This cutting was really large, and had a very noticeable almost 'S' shaped curve in the trunk. I had set it outdoors that summer, and it grew like crazy, but grew totally upright from that point on (I think it was simply because I had given it better lighting. (They had moved it to the basement at one point, and it sat down there for a few years with relatively low light.) I have never been able to ID that plant! It's got to be either a Yucca, Dracaena or Pandanus, though the edges aren't exactly what I'd call 'sharp' or 'jagged'....so I'm leaning toward one of the more obscure Yuccas or Dracaenas. (If only it would bloom!) Though I certainly can't narrow it down, I think yours might be one of the more 'osbcure' species of one of those 3, and since you stated it has 'jagged edges', I think Charles might be onto something with his guess at Pandanus. The big 'stumper', though, is those white leaves that mature to green! At first I thought maybe the new leaves of your brother's plant were being burnt either by sun or cold, but you stated that they mature to green...and if so, they obviously didn't suffer any kind of burn.
    ...See More

Some more views of my San Antonio garden ...

Q

Comments (24)
    Thank you all so much for your kind comments. I haven't visited the Gallery for a couple of months to see them before today. Kitty, so far canes on my Fawn are horizonal. It's interesting to see how yours has put some height on. How old is it? It's a wonderful rose, isn't it? Probably most of you have read that I'm downzing sizing the garden as to the number of roses grown. I'll have to admit it made me a tiny bit sad to look at the rose photos from this spring as well as see how the roses in the garden are covered with buds again after my cutting the buds off when chilli thrips were found to be stunting their growth. But nothing stays the same. That's the nature of this world. I'll still be gardening -- just less intensely ... maybe :-)
    ...See More

Some new,some old and some new growth.

Q

Comments (13)
    Thanks Randy North of Florida palms has the best deals on Princeps I have seen,that's where I got the 3 I have -one is planted. Seeing them up close might leave you a little more torn between the two. That said,I love Waggies too! Here's the One I have planted- chadec I know exactly what you mean about Aloifolia! Mine snapped(in high winds)2 years ago or it would be 6' right now at least! They root easily so,no worries there-mine is secured to a small post now...probably would have been halved anyway when the "G-house collapsed in the blizzard last winter. Here's a picture(s) of the Cactus cover - Note how tall it is in respect to the railing- and check put what it looked like collapsed under 15"+ of snow! Here is a link that might be useful: Princeps
    ...See More

Sans Show & Contest : Suan Luang Rama 9 Flora Festival THAILAND

Q

Comments (11)
    The Suan Luang Rama 9 Garden is one of our public parks in Bangkok City. This year, Sans. seem to be a very popular pot plant here. There are many Sans. shops in the festival, too. Unyamanee Garden's Shop Sans. stuckyi pups. My friend "Gift" with small variety of Sans. Mr Bunlue's shop "Phu Phamorn Garden" which offer many interesting Sans. also some nice hybrids. 'Bunlue' with his nice hybrids. One of Bunlue's hybrid. Small pup of Sans. eilensis from Thai Sans. Club member. Sans. stuckyi from leaf cutting. Jaturapruek Garden's shop also offer many nice Sans.
    ...See More
  • woodnative
    8 years ago

Nice! Can I ask what you ordered that was sold out in which they subbed the masoniana? If that is not one you have it is a GREAT and beautiful plant. That is a thick rhizome there!!

• woodnative
    8 years ago

Silver hahni is much easier than gold hahni!

akrrm (Nancy in NJ 7a) thanked woodnative
  • Sans2014
    8 years ago

very nice looking plants!

akrrm (Nancy in NJ 7a) thanked Sans2014
  • akrrm (Nancy in NJ 7a)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Woodnative, I don't already have the masoniana variegated and it was subbed for the twisted sister they were out of. The metallica variegated was a sub for jade dwarf marginated.

• woodnative
    8 years ago

Masoniana is a much more valuable (and beautiful IMHO) than twisted sister. Good sub!! I used to see twisted sister show up in the local home depots and other big box stores but I have not seen it for a while. Jade dwarf marginated is a beauty I don't think I have an extra right now but I will check.

akrrm (Nancy in NJ 7a) thanked woodnative
  • barbmock
    8 years ago

Your Green Fountain and Caniculata Dwarf in the first photo look pretty interesting. Would you mind posting another photo when you get them potted. Beautiful Masoniana. They all look great!

akrrm (Nancy in NJ 7a) thanked barbmock
  • akrrm (Nancy in NJ 7a)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

barbmock I put the caniliculata dwarf in a small pot. I'm going to plant the green fountain in one of the small hanging baskets I ordered for other plants I have.

• barbmock
    8 years ago

I like both of them, may have to make a wishlist for spring. That fountain plant looks like it is making runners.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    8 years ago

Akrrm,

I have a Dwarf Jade Marinated I can send you a small starter rhizome come spring. I have it put away now for the winter. I have all the others but the first two bonus plants. Bob is nice like that. He seems to always throw in an extra plant or two. Shame my are not at the point of multiplying.

akrrm (Nancy in NJ 7a) thanked Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
  • akrrm (Nancy in NJ 7a)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The canaliculata dwarf seems to be doing okay. Hopefully it will make it and multiply and I can send you some. The green fountain was 4 pieces that looks like the runners that my ballyi minnie give off. They were really shriveled and now the two that were shriveled the worse and had yellow tips are all yellow.

• akrrm (Nancy in NJ 7a)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Stush thank you for the offer of the HJM, I'll probably be out of room by Spring. Lol

How do you take care of your Manolin? I think it is so beautiful, I love looking at mine. Everything I've read about it says it doomed to get rust. I really hope mine doesn't.

• barbmock
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Akrrm, Do you have a picture of your Balli minnie? I bought a plant from a GW member two or three years ago. It was supposed to be balli minnie. I really think it is some other form of balli. It's the one on the right. It would be interesting to compare it to yours.

• akrrm (Nancy in NJ 7a)
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I got mine on ebay from a private person in 2008. It has not done really anything. The mother plant is the one in the back by the tag. It grew the plant in the front first, which has it's own offset. I have separated them from the main plant hoping they would do something. They were in tiny clay pots and I recently planted them in 6" hanging baskets.

The offset in this hanging basket was put in it's own tiny clay pot a year ago and was already big. Since it has been in the new pot it has really plumped up. I don't know why there is such a size difference.

• akrrm (Nancy in NJ 7a)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Barbmock your plant is really beautiful. I wish mine were that full.

• barbmock
    8 years ago

Thanks, I have been really happy with it, but the leaves are much longer than I expected. I haven't cut any pups yet, just watching to see what it can do. Those stickers at the ends are sharp. I think yours is more like what I was expecting, with the tiny leaves. Yours may take off and fill out.

akrrm (Nancy in NJ 7a) thanked barbmock
  • Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    8 years ago

Akrrm,

I don't do anything for my Manolin. I totally forgot about it this year. My grandkids brought it up from the cellar green house and placed it in my back yard in a shady spot where it sat in water all summer. I pulled the weeds out and away from it and drained it and placed it back in the cellar for winter again. I was surprised how well it grew. I guess 'rust' has to be some where near it to catch it. A sicken plant is always more likely to catch problems than a healthy one.

akrrm (Nancy in NJ 7a) thanked Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
  • akrrm (Nancy in NJ 7a)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Barbmock, I was watering the ballyi minnie and saw an offset on my larger ballyi minnie. I am anxious to see how large it will be.

• barbmock
    8 years ago

Ajrmm,

i think the bally's are so interesting. I like the way the new offsets form in a cascade. Very graceful to my eye. But watch out for that sharp point!

• Russ1023 (central Fla)
    8 years ago

Great sans you have there, ajrmm! A 'newer' sans called Siam Silver that looks exactly like Manolyn was initially touted to be free of the rust, but I have both and Siam Silver gets rust just like Manolyn. Both can be rust-free as well, personally I think they're the same plant with different names. I've thought that the rust comes from too much humidity, which is heavy most of the year here in central Fla. Could be wrong about that though. Bantel's Sensation also gets the rust on white areas of the leaves.

Regarding canaliculata dwarf, Juan Chahinian has said that the 'dwarf' name is a misnomer in that they seem to be in an 'on hold' state but have the potential at any time to grow to normal canaliculata size.

Barbmock, that well-grown pot of sans definitely isn't ballyi Minnie, but an interesting sans nontheless. I'd be interested in a trade for that sans next year if you're interested.

Russ

• barbmock
    8 years ago

Thank you Russ, I wiil count on a trade next spring. I have some nice offsets with roots. I know you have an extensive collection and would love something from you.

• Russ1023 (central Fla)
    8 years ago

Sounds great, thanks barbmock!! Let me know if you would like my sans list. Also have lists on philodendrons, aglaonemas, dieffs and hoyas if you happen to like those. Beautiful spoon-leaf sans in your photo, do you know which one it is?? Well grown!

akrrm, don't feel like the Lone Stranger in having trouble with Golden Hahnii, it's one of the more difficult sans to grow. I don't know how many I've lost to rot but it's quite a few. I'm always looking for trades, let me know if interested.

I'm not sure that's a valid name on Smoley's 'Green Fountain'. Chahinian renamed 'Midnight Star' to 'Midnight Fountain', which looks like a tall ballyi on steroids. Very dark green, smooth leaves. He may have sent you a bunch of small offsets. Then again it might be a new sans and I haven't kept up with recent hybrids and commercial offerings. I hope yours lives and we can see what adult plants look like. I'll check Smoley's website for a picture.

Russ

akrrm (Nancy in NJ 7a) thanked Russ1023 (central Fla)
  • barbmock
    8 years ago

Russ, I would love to see your lists. I have a lovely Anthurium Clareinervium that I bought many years ago when I lived in Fla. Do you have that one? I should be able to do some cuttings in the spring.

• Russ1023 (central Fla)
    8 years ago

barbmock, I grew A. clarinervium many years ago but don't have it now. I don't grow many anthuriums but do have a couple of dozen. I have 'Mehani' that I could probably share, it's a hybrid similar in looks to clarinervium but a bit smaller and offsets easier.

Here are my lists.

Everyone, sorry if lists are lengthy, let me know if you see anything interesting to you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AGLAONEMAS

As of December 2014

Russ Hammer

bluesea14808@yahoo.com

* Asterisk indicates an old heirloom aglaonema, or a species which will have first letter lower case

Abidjan*

*alumina v. armandii (commercially Sterling)

*B.J. Freeman aka Cecelia

Black Lance

*brevispathum

Brilliant

Calypso

Cassandra

*commutatum v. commutatum f. Elegans

*comm. v. comm. variegata

*costatum v. semi-albovariegatum* (sold as Best Diamond)

Cory

*crispum

Cutlass

Deborah

Decora

Diamond Bay

Gemini ?

Gold Dust

Green Lady

Illumination

Jewel of India

Jubilee

Jubilee Petite

Key Largo

*Malay Beauty/Pewter

*Maria

*Tricolor X Manila - pink petiole Nat DeLeon hybrid circa 1960)

*Tricolor X Manila - russet petiole (Nat DeLeon hybrid circa 1960)

*modestum

*modestum variegata

*Moe Moe

*Moonglow

Moonlight Bay

Mystic Marble

Painted Princess

Patricia

Peacock

*pictum v. bicolor - aka 'Frog' - Unsure of my source, possibly from Glasshouse Works, Corning Ohio several decades ago, with the name Echo. Dr. Brown also had this little species when I visited. He called it Frog and used it in some of his aglaonema crosses.

*pseudobracteatum

*San Remo (probable ID)

Shamrock

Silver Frost

Silver Bay

Silverado

*Silver King

Stripes

Snowcap

White Rain

White Lance

Queen of Siam seedling, Dr. Brown (identical to Diamond Bay)

Shades/Black Beauty

THAI HYBRIDS

Gem Series #5

Emerald Holiday

Kaew Kanjani

Pink Jade

Pink Valentine

Red Valentine

Siam Pearl or Masterpiece

UNIDENTIFIED AGS

Jungle Collected, from Dr B. Frank Brown

Unknown, my code #5 of 16, from Dr B. Frank Brown

Unknown, my code: Ag 1 possibly Amelia

Unknown, my code: Marc's Drug Store, Ohio, probably Maria

Unknown, Christian, Daytona Beach

Unknown, my code Ag 100 - white petioles

Unknown, labeled 'The one we labeled Gemini'

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PHILODENDRON LIST

As of July 2015

anisotomum

bernardopazii (superbum)

Big Red - hybrid

billietae - green petioled form

bipennifolium (panduraforme)

bipennifolium Minibelle, some muted variegation, twisted leaves

bipinnatifidum (selloum)

Black Jack (might be Burgundy)

Black Cardinal

brasiliense

Bob See

Burgundy - Alberts & Merkel Nursery, Boynton Beach Fla (closed)

Burle Marx

cordatum (Angra dos Reis)

Calkin's Gold

camposportoanum

Congo Green

Congo Red

corcovadense

crassinervium

distantilobum

Florida

Florida Ghost (my code Fla Ivory)

Golden Dragon

Golden Erubescens

grazielae

hederaceum

hederaceum variegata

hederaceum yellow form

hederaceum Brasil

hederaceum v. miduhoi

hederaceum v. micans

hederaceum v. glaucophyllum (Silver Sword)

holtonianum

Hope - meconostigma type

ilsemannii variegata

ilsemannii variegata #2 (slightly different clone)

inconcinnum

joepii

King of Spades (Ace of Spades) collected 1979 Louisiana

Lynette

martianum (cannifolium)

mello-barretoanum

mexicanum

Painted Lady

pedatum -wild collected French Guiana, Selby Bot Gdn, Sarasota Fla

pedatum - Leland Miyano, Hawaii

pinnatifidum

Pink Princess

Prince Dubonnet

Princess - semi self-header

pusillum - 2nd smallest philo known, IAS Fairchild TG, 2000

radiatum, probably variety radiatum (large form)

Red Duchess

Red Emerald

Red Princess

Red Wine

Royal Queen

renauxii

Santa Leopoldina

sp. 69686

sp. Dr. Mansell

sp. Venezuela

selloum compacta - Rockledge Gdns, Fla

stenolobum - narrow, ruffled leaf form

stenolobum - regular form, Leslie Rule Nebraska

stenolobum cross? Leland Miyano, Hawaii

Strawberry Shake

superbum (bernardopazii)

tortum - Shirley Vessels, KY

warscewiczii

Xanadu

Xanadu - yellow form (Golden Xanadu)

X Evansii

No ID - possible Thai Hybrid

No ID - possibly Pincushion, very small, red petioles

No ID - very small meconostigma, twisted leaves

No ID - 3 different leaf-variants of bipinnatifidum

No ID - Multicolor hybrid, Alberts & Merkel, Boynton Beach Fla

No ID - oligospermum? Chris Gussman, NJ, collected in Ecuador

No ID - 'Some kind of hybrid', Christian, Daytona Beach Fla

No ID - vining type, bright yellow new leaves, Brian Williams Ohio

No ID - vining type, all green leaf, possibly Emerald Queen

No ID - self-heading type, possibly Emerald Prince

No ID - small vining type, all green, Linda Monroe, Texas

No ID - small vining type #2, all green, Linda Monroe, Texas

No ID - possibly radiatum, Tom Schultz, Maine

No ID - Aberrant rugosum (name from NS Exotics)

No ID - domesticum?

No ID - domesticum #2

No ID- long, narrow olive-green leaves

No ID - possibly erubescens, collected early 80s

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HOYA LIST

As of July 2015

australis

carnosa

carnosa #1 unidentified variegate

carnosa #2 unidentified variegate

carnosa v. Chelsea

carnosa compacta - all green

carnosa compacta variegata

carnosa unidentified - possibly Chelsea or Krinkle 8

cummingiana

diptera

fungii

heuschkelia

kerrii

limonica

merrillii

micrantha

nicholsoniae

obovata

obscura

pentaphlebia

pubicalyx

rigida IML 1424

surigaoensis

verticellata variegata

wayetii

wayetii variegata

unidentified, possibly pottsii

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SANSEVIERIA LIST As of March 2015

Species and hybrids

abyssinica (forskaoliana) - 9/2005

'Alva' trifasciata X deserti - Koko Crater, Hawaii 1998

arborescens - rcvd as “cylindrica v. patula 7/31/91 FW”

Aubrytiana – 9/2002

bagamoyensis – rcvd as arborescens

bandipur

bandipur – Tropiflora

ballyi

bella

Blue Hybrid – USDA fiber research program, 1950s

canaliculata

canaliculata dwarf

caulescens

cf. caulescens - Lav & Bleck, Bura, Kenya 4/1981

concinna

concinna Lake Sibaya - Natal, Dave Hardy 19874 (1977)

concinna Sudwalla Caves

concinna Lav 5933 -F/C 20 km w. of Vilanculos, Mozambique, sp. Socotra Dwarf

concinna Lav 5949 - possibly incorrect ID, could be fasciata

concinna sp. Socotra -not dwarf

concinna sp. - US Botanic Garden

cylindrica v. cylindrica

dawei –

deserti (have?)

deserti F-1 hybrid – Grigsby Cactus Nursery 9/1998

dooneri

downsii

downsii – GC 78-126 Philip Downs (broken label: …......ett) (illeg: ...mawi)

ehrenbergii

elliptica (Horwood, sp. 22830, FKH 424)

erythraea - (schweinfurthii)

fasciata

fischeri (singularis)

fischeri X kirkii – Vivaio Brookside Nursery Italy

francisii

frequens

grandis

gracilis Pfennig's form

hallii

hallii Blue Form (Blue Bat)

hallii Lundi (Lundi Bat)

cf. hallii D. McMurtry, Lundi River

Heidelberg seedling - GC 22836 Grigsby Cactus Nursery

javanica Striated

Koko – E. E.'s Koko (Ed Eby) - probably from Huntington Bot Gdn CA 1999

kirkii v. pulchra

kirkii v. Superclone – Huntington BG – Vivaio Brookside Nursery: 'This isn't a kirkii'.

kirkii v. Coppertone

Leopard Bat – fischeri X (raffillii?)

Leopard Bat – fischeri X (raffillii?) Manny Singer, Huntington BG 10/2007

liberica

liberica – CSSA seed depot sowed 2/06, liberica mix open-pollinated Hawaii

Lone Kofod - probably dooneri

Malawi Midnight - sp. 21027

Masai

Midnight Fountain – Originally received as Midnight Star

masoniana

masoniana GC 78-133 Grigsby Cactus Nursery

metallica (guineensis) Manolyn

metallica (guineensis) Siam Silver

metallica (guineensis) San Remo - rcvd as trifasciata aurea, ID by Juan Chahinian

nilotica v. obscura

Old Man Silver - trifasciata X deserti - (Fla H-13) Huntington BG 1999

pearsoni - UCD-B73-064 HBG 61036, Rodin 9259 Dramboland, S. Africa

patens

patens – US Botanic Garden

pinguicula

parva – 5/2004

parva Gilt-Edge

Parva Wide Leaf

phillipsiae - Tenerife Spain, Botanic Garden Puerto De La Cruz

raffillii

raffillii – Endangered Species Nursery, AB.ED, probably Huntington BG, 1999

robusta

Robusta - Tenerife Spain 5/2004

roxburghiana – Univ of Fla at Tampa Botanic Garden Sale

rhodesiana - Vivaio Brookside Italy, IX 2008 ex VBN (salig)

sambiranensis

scimitariformis - Vivaio Brookside, Italy SA124

senegambica – 9/2007

sinus-simiorum - 7/2006

stuckyi (mutant) - 1998

stuckyi – Tenerife Spain 5/2004

subsipicata

Stellette (hybrid w/trifasciata)

Screen Door trifasciata X deserti - (Fla H-13) Huntington BG, Calif 1999

suffruticosa

suffruticosa Frosty Spears - (possibly) 4/2006

suffruticosa-type – rcvd as Fruticosa Linden, more robust than suffruticosa

Tarzana? – 5/2008, looks like fischeri

trifasciata

trif. Bantel's Sensation

trif. Black Sport

trif. Black Gold

trif. Craigii

trif. Futura

trif. Gilt Edge – 1998

trif. Gold Flame

trif. Gray Lady – 1998

trif. Hahnii Jade Dwarf

trif. Hahnii Jade Dwarf Marginated

trif. Hahnii Marginated

trif. Hahnii Seibert

trif. Hahnii Streaker

trif. Laurentii

trif. Laurentii Compacta

trif. Lillian True (Slipped Stripes)

trif. Slimmerette (supposedly) Bob Smoley Nursery FL

trif. Sunrise

trif. Wagner's Gold – 1998

Tugela River Valley

Tom Grumbley - Vivaio Brookside, Italy SA153 10/2009

USDA 19522 trifasciata X deserti - AW 1998, USDA fiber research prog 1950s

USDA 19537 trifasciata X deserti - AW 1998, USDA fiber research prog 1950s

volkensii (intermedia) Huntington BG, CAHBG 61071

zanzibarica – 9/2002

Unidentified or Undescribed Species

sp. 21027 – Poland

sp. Lav 23242 – Somalia, 3 km s. of Balal, n. of Mozambique (prop leaf only)

sp. Lav & BC – SWA w. foot of Grootberg Pass, Damaraland

sp. Chimanimani Mountains – 4/2006

sp. Kitonga –ES 20424, Tanzania, Iringa Province, Kitonga Gorge 10/09

sp. Chahinian 549 (A-15) – rcvd as Chahinian 15, Huntington BG CA

Note: 'A' is designation for Juan Chahinian's 1st trip to Africa (Kenya)

sp. FN 2409

sp. PF 1056 – IX 108, Poland 5/2009

sp. ES 22269 – aff bella, Ernst Specks, Mbeya Province, Tanzania Poland

sp. Uganda

sp. Nova ES 14826 - 2009

sp. ES 20122, E. Specks, Tanzania, 2006

sp. 23251 – rorida type

sp. The Dyke – 3/2008

sp. ES 21847 – 5/2009, Poland

sp. ES 22575 – Tanzania, n. of Sumbawanga, locality 43-36, Poland

sp. ES 15950 – Cradock, RSA, poss form of aethiopica/scabrifolia, Poland 10/09

sp. SNRS 19499 – 4/2006

sp. 19525 – 5/2008

sp. R2470 – similar to hallii, see Journal 6, Henny Vanderwaal, Poland 9/2009

scimitariformis – Viaio Brookside Nursery, Italy, label says SA 123, (...illegible..) Fikizola crossing.

• akrrm (Nancy in NJ 7a)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Russ, so far all of the plants I received from Bob Smoley are doing well except for the green fountain. The two that were yellowed and shriveled died and the other two don't look too great. They remind me of wilted string beans.

The picture on his website looks like unpotted plants tangled together.

• Russ1023 (central Fla)
    8 years ago

Doesn't sound good on the remaining ones, Bob Smoley might replace them if you notify him of their condition when they arrived. You might do that soon since he might have a time window for notification of problems. I'll have a look at his website and the Green Fountain.

Thanks!

• barbmock
    8 years ago

Russ, You have such an amazing collection. Oh, to have the space to collect so many. You must have been working on this for a long time. I did notice one cute little hoya not on your list. It's called Mathilde. I have a good sized plant that can be trimmed every once in a while.

• Russ1023 (central Fla)
    8 years ago

I have an old, wooden 12 x 24 foot shadehouse that I built in 1993 when I moved back to Fla from Texas, and over an acre with lots of oak trees. I grow most of my plants under two big oaks behind the shadehouse, it is a good growing area with shade and dappled sun. It does get too cold to grow outside all year though, and dragging sensitive plants in and out of the garage with the cold fronts is a pain.

I've been interested in horticulture all my life, started collecting aroids and other tropicals in the 1970s. I was in the Air Force for over 20 years and took many plants from one assignment to another. My Philo King of Spades goes back to 1979, collected at an obscure nursery in coastal Louisiana. I think my P. stenolobum is from the mix-70s and P. erubescens from early 1980s. I value plants with history, even common ones.

I think I've heard of H. Mathilde, perhaps a carnosa variety but in any case I'd be glad to trade for it.

Do you have to bring all your plants in for the winter? I suppose that's the regimen for anyone living north of central Florida so it's probably a dumb question.

Russ

• barbmock
    8 years ago

Hi Russ,

Hoya cv Mathilde is carnosa x serpens, tiny little leaves and a nice flower. I missed your question about the concinna. I believe it to be Lav 5933, very tiny leaves. I hope to see it bloom one day.

i agree with you about valuing plants with history. I have have had my anthurium going since the 70s when we lived in Fla. Even in south Fla, there are cold snaps that cause lots of damage. We used to throw sheets and blankets over the shrups and plants when it would get cold.

Up here in north Georgia, we have four definite seasons. I have found that I have to be very careful when the weather cools because we also get lots of rain. I bring most of my plants inside around mid Sept. Even in the spring I get in trouble if I put them out too early. I am lucky to have three nice windows with morning sun, and that helps keep everything in good shape inside the house.