SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jbw1984

24VAC Thermostat with Line Voltage

jbw1984
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hello:

I am in the US and would like to install a "smart" thermostat that can be controlled remotely, such as the Nest. My understanding is that most if not all of these are "low voltage" thermostats, which I understand means that they need 24V.

My existing thermostat is a very simple "thermo-switch": there are two wires connected to it, and when I measure they have 240V (not 24) AC across them. (Actually, my voltmeter said 230, which seems a little odd.) I assume this is just connected to the same power system as everything else in my home.

I think what I need in order to make a low voltage smart thermostat work in this setup is a "relay" with a transformer. My understanding is that the relay will transform the line power supply and send out 24V to the smart thermostat. As soon as the smart thermostat clicks "on," it signals the relay to flip a switch sending 240V over to the heating appliance. So, the smart thermostat would be connected to the relay, and then the relay is connected to the wires in my wall that are presently directly connected to my plain old thermostat.

If any of that sounds wrong to anyone, please correct me. I am not good with "electricity stuff" and have not found this explicitly documented out there, just what I piece from Internet posts and the wiring diagrams on an Aube relay mode.

If all that doesn't sound wrong to people, I have a SPECIFIC QUESTION, which is this. If I am using this kind of relay with a transformer, the only place for me to put it is inside of the cavity behind where the thermostat will be located on the wall, since that is where the wiring is. But I think transformers give off heat. Is this setup going to create enough heat to distort the operation of the thermostat?

Comments (10)