SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shemmy98

Shade Lawn Advice - Phase 2.1 - Too much water?

shemmy98
8 years ago

Ok so here are several photos of my yard reseeding. Full disclosure I didn't do a full "nuke" with roundup because I feared of another failed seeding attempt, and I couldn't deal with essentially just weeds or mud all winter with the dogs. This probably forced me to cut a little early at 14 days as the mature grass regrew, but in all honesty the new seedlings in some areas looked like they were past the 3" mark themselves.

Here's an orientation view of the lawn.

There are three sprinklers (one just beyond the plastic fencing, one back left and one back right). They are all adjustable for both width and oscillation so they are set for as minimal overlap as I can get, mainly because the overlap areas appear to be the "soggy" areas we'll see later.

These next two pictures are views straight across the back of the yard, from left to right, right to left.

In the middle of each picture, about halfway across the yard, there is noticeable standing water.

This is looking from behind the back fence towards the sprinkler at the back right of the 1st picture. The wet area is directly down hill from the sprinkler and is obviously getting way more water.
Looking up the hill from the other side, you can see that sprinkler has it's own run off issues, and the area that overlaps (and I have it as limited as I can get) between the two sprinklers is extremely wet.
View of the overlap area.

So my worry is that everything is staying too wet. I always see people saying the ground should be damp, not soggy. The problem is I'm only running the sprinklers at these intervals 1. Front left, 2x10min 2. Back left, 4x4min 3. Back Right, 3x8 minutes. The most any area is getting is 20 minutes per day, and the back areas are only getting 16 minutes per day.

Even not watering from after Saturday morning, until noon on Sunday (when I did my first cut) there was no standing water, but ground still sounded soggy. Some areas are only probably seeing less than 1/4inch per day, but others (due to run off) get more. Besides that the ground seems to stay wet at the surface, though it finally has firmed up below (compared to when soil was put in over a year ago) to where the mower no longer sinks in when it's damp. I used to have to stop watering for nearly 4 days to mow certain parts.

I'm not really worried about the germination rate (though I'm guessing too much moisture isn't going to help it), but I am worried about how to plan out my watering as the grass matures. I know I'm supposed to switch to deeper, more frequent waterings. The issue seems to be that even short waterings just run off, or stay at the surface for nearly a day.

I've done one 5oz/1000sft shampoo treatment before I seeded. Time to do another? And another?

Guess I'm in that 14 day panic, but I've seen this happen the other two times I tried to fix this area. Just curious what advice you guys have for making sure I keep proper moisture levels.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (21)