SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sugi_c

Dracaena....arrrrgggh. What have I done?

I am so irate that I even have to ask this. There are only 2-3 plants that I feel good about always in that they look good, give me no trouble and always perform beautifully.

This was one of them but as of today, not so much.

So my pretty little girl has moved with me a few times, and other than a tear in a leaf here and there from those moves, she's never complained. She's not really a fast grower, but she consistently grows. All I have to do is water her every once in awhile and I fertilize maybe 2-3 times a year. Well, that and I hose her off, dry all the nooks and crannies manually, wipe her down with a soft cloth, check on her near daily, and give her fresh air on mild days. LOL Tad obsessive, I know.

This, and one large big Jade were the only two plants I never repotted when I started messing with the soil of all my plants, changing to gritty mix, etc. Once I saw that the soil worked, I've been meaning to repot these...but just never got around to it. Part of me wanted to leave well enough alone, part of me was mortified at making enough mix for both plants (my poor back...), and another part of me dreaded the adjustment period because my perfect plant may have to become imperfect to then adjust and thrive. LOL

In the last two months in a brighter room, it had FINALLY grown three new shoots. You can't imagine how desperately I've waited for new shoots!!

Today, I went over to get the plant to finally move her into a variation of gritty mix---and much to my horror, I found this on my otherwise pristine plant:

I really almost screamed.

I would swear this was not there YESTERDAY---nothing to this extent, if at all. I did open up the blinds on that room yesterday (the actual panels, whereas they are always opened slats on the plantation shutters) and even moved my furniture in order to do so. All of the affected leaves are on 1/2+ (maybe 3/5-ish) of the plant but not necessarily the half that was adjacent to that window. I don't really think this looks like sunscald, though, and while it is a southern set of windows, there's a big overhang on my porch so it's not really like I get blazing sun in that room, though it is a bright room.

The yellow areas feel normal and the brown/grey areas feel paper thin and you can see striations.

Only the large trunk shows this symptom; the smaller one is clean for now.

I thought root rot, cursed myself out for not repotting sooner, and finally repotted this from the plain Pro-Mix it was in to a big chunk gritty mix with a splash of Pro-Mix today. The roots look fine, though, albeit still a bit scant, and I found no evidence of rot that I could tell (right?). The trunk was hard and really not wet, and the soil was damp but totally not soggy wet. (I watered this about 4 days ago.) The longest sets of roots once untangled was about 2 feet long. While I was happy with the appearance of the roots, it's clearly not what I'd call rootbound either so that's not it; there was still a good inch of clean soil at the bottom when I pulled this up. The soil had held up well, too, probably because it's really not watered that much.

Looking it up on Google, the most similar ailment I could find looks like fluoride toxicity, but this has been watered with the same city water (via outdoor hose) in this city for two years....before that it was another city. I flush it heavily at each watering...but if the water is suddenly the problem, I suppose I made the situation worse. I suppose the city could have changed the water, too. It'd be wonderful if I had to share my drinking water with this girl...arrggggh.

Any ideas? :-(

Guess I will just cut the damage off.

Comments (27)