SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cacbeary

What have I done! & What can I do?

cacbeary
16 years ago

Haven't posted in a while. My Mom & some relatives come over every week to make a stepping stone. I come up with this bright idea to immortalize our dogs. Paw prints in cement, cement dog biscuits, & their pics under glass. Well, I made mine & hate it. Everyone is coming over tomorrow to do theirs.

I need your advice on how to fix this. I guess have everyone glue triangles in the blank areas? There is too much blank stone on it & the grout looks horrible because of the different thicknesses of the pieces. I wet my finger dabbing water on the grout to kind of smooth it out but that is not the answer. I wanted this special

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dog Stones

Comments (17)

• texaswild
    16 years ago

You've answered your own question. Just glue more stuff on. They'll be darlin'. They look great so far, just are a little lacking in tesserae. Since you've grouted already, you can use thinner pieces of whatever you choose to use, and keep smoothing the grout in/around everything so as not to cover up what's already grouted. You can DO this. Don't be discouraged. They just aren't quite full enough of tesserae, but you can always add. Your idea is good, and you'll love them once you fill them up.

• barbfrizzell1955
    16 years ago

I agree, you just need to fill in the background. It's a great idea too!

Barb

• ladyronnie
    16 years ago

I agree with the above...AND...I think what I'd do also is, just show yours as an IDEA, not something they have to follow exactly. "Here's the dog bones, here's the glass to cover a photo if you want, here's some baubles to decorate it with, and I think I'd put more STUFF on it if I had it to do over again." Don't make yourself so responsible for whether they like it or not! They really are cute and special, and this way you show them they really need to fill it in more, and let them be their own kind of creative in the process.

• mosaicwench1
    16 years ago

River rocks would be a nice filler - or those glass blobs, too.

• cacbeary
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone for the advice. After I posted the pic I kept staring at it & since it wasn't totally dry I took it outside & hosed it down & it was like pressure washing. It's just grout.

My Dad died 2 months ago & my Mom's here alot. So we get together & make something & everyone has fellowship. I think it's theaputic for my Mom. She lives in an apartment & she's making her stepping stone & placing on my Dad's grave. OK, it's a little sick. But if it makes her happy, that's OK too. The stone has to be special - it's going to a special place.

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

yep..what they said!

• ruthinont
    16 years ago

I would love to know how to do the stepping stone with the dogs picture.My grandchildren`s cat died over the weekend.I am going to visit them this weekend and would love to do that stone.Howw did you get the picture on the stone? I am going to make a stone and they can wright the cat name on it.I would love to do the picture for them.Thank you.

• cacbeary
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ruthinont,

I took a pic & used GEII & glued it to clear glass. Used a popsicle stick on the back of the pic afterwards & rubbed it to take our bubbles, extra glue, etc. Use an exacto knife for any of the pic not covered in glass.

I was going to make the clear glass in the shape of a heart & then put crash glass around it but when I went to the stained glass store, I seen a suncatcher in the shape of a doghouse & decided to go that route. I used Photoshop to get the pics the size I wanted. Perhaps you could make it heart shaped. I'm sure the grandchildren will love the stone!

• coppertop367
    16 years ago

I agree just add a few things....Maybe look for a small figurine of the dogs or pics of dogs from cups, etc. You could also use letters to write bow-wow or woof....

• coppertop367
    16 years ago

After seeing Cindy's work, you could take some really cute pics of the dogs, put them on small tiles and glue those onto the stone.

• cacbeary
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the advice everyone! The girls were over today & made their dog stones. They are all different & all beautiful.

I breathed a sigh of relief. The end of the stepping stones. Fall is coming & I want to work in stained glass with the soldering & stuff. Haven't done it since my classes. I'm making everyone a fan light for Christmas & my SIL a desk set I have envisioned in my head for her new job - matching mirror, pencil holder, business card holder, photo frame, & maybe a stapler!

• kelly6780
    16 years ago

Cacbeary- I may be a little late with this posting, but, better late than never! I don't think it is sick at all for your mom to place a stepping stone at your father's grave. Everyone grieves differently. I think it is a terrific idea. I also think it is better than a bunch of fake flowers that you buy at Walmart. No offense to anyone who does this, I do this, too. Not everyone can have a stepping stone at their grave. Its a very lasting momento. I, for one, think it is very sweet and a suggestion that I may make to people who want to commerate their loved ones. It would also be great for kids to do and then as they get older it will always be there. I'm into it.
    Kelly

• zone_envy
    16 years ago

I think it's sweet too and what a great way to spend some quality time together as a family:)

Cindy

• ruthinont
    16 years ago

Thank you for your help with the stepping stones.I am going to make them with the grandchildren this weekend .I will try to post a picture of it.Thank you .Ruth

• gin_gin
    16 years ago

I love the stepping stones & I love the idea of using photos, but will the photos eventually fade if used outdoors?

• cacbeary
    Original Author
    16 years ago

GinGin ~ Never thought about that. It probably will but maybe the silicone under the glass will slow it down a little. Maybe I'll make sure I put it in the shade, LOL! We can always make another one.

• gin_gin
    16 years ago

It would be interesting to do a test of this. Print out 3 of the same photo, seal them all between 2 pieces of glass with silicone. Leave one indoors in a dark place. Place one outdoors in full shade & one in full sun. I may try this sometime.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor