SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quasifish

What have you done with, and how have you organized photos?

quasifish
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

With the exception of a few photos received and printed for the holidays, we don't get printed photos anymore. We do, however, have a plastic shoe box of older photos that were from the time before digital cameras became so popular.

It's only 1 shoe box, and yet it feels like something that should be more... concise? Not just a box of jumbled photographs that nobody looks at? What approach should I take with these? What have you done with yours?

I started sifting through them briefly this morning, but got discouraged very quickly. Lots of photos from old times, and not sure if/when someone will want to look through them again. I felt very emotional going through some of them- seems like another lifetime. It also seems like there are a lot of duplicates too- maybe it would make sense to ditch the extras, but they are often not together and sometimes it looks like maybe there were 6-8 duplicates (which are actually just similar pictures taken at the same time). Then there are badly taken pictures (blurry, off-center, etc.) of a subject that I don't have any other pictures of- terrible picture, but the only picture.

So, how did you go about sorting, thinning, storing, displaying photos? They take up so little space, it's very easy to think I should just stick them back up on the shelf and forget about them. We do have a couple of old albums as well, and I've wondered if I should even keep those, or go to the trouble of editing them so they are filled only with pictures that are interesting at this point in our lives-- but they are another thing that rarely gets looked at and that would take a lot of time to remove and replace photos, not sure I really feel like going to that much trouble...

Ideas? Advice?

Comments (5)