SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publick_man

Best candy thermometer

When I made my lemon tart last week-end, I used a clip-on thermometer like this when the custard started to thicken. I normally take it to 175°F and then take it off the stove. This was the first time I had used this thermometer (we bought it at a restaurant supply store), and I found it a bit awkward, as I had to move it around in order to be able to stir the custard. I had thought that it was going to be good because I had seen TV chefs use it (can't remember which ones, but it was more than one), and the ones I had used in the past did not stay clipped on. This one stayed in place, but it kept quite a bit of custard on its bottom and did prevent even stirring.

Someone at work (who used to run a restaurant) said that I should use a laser thermometer, which I have and have used to check the temperature of pan and grill surfaces, but I did not think it would work for a custard or for candy. I think the last time I made custard, I did a double check with my thermapen thermometer, and I trust that, but I forgot to use it last time. It does not work for leaving in, but then neither would a laser, although the laser is easier to use. When I cook the custard to between 175 and 180 degrees, it always comes out the way I want it, but the last one was a bit runny, and so I felt that perhaps I had not cooked it long enough. I even used the stronger cornstarch that I had just bought, but it still did not set firm enough.

Is there something new I can use? Should I go back to my glass thermometer that wiggles?

Comments (4)