SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_8959062

Primulas - who grows them?

User
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Rootling through the forum titles, I am astounded to see entire forums devoted to such arcane plants as plumeria, sanseveria (Sanseveria!!!) and, naturally, the US craze of daylilies, but not a sniff of this completely gorgeous genera - primula.

For years and years, I have adored these harbingers of spring and early summer and yet, lacking their most essential requirement, moisture, they have remained elusive...until now, when, after intense labour, I have freed up some of the eastern edge of the woods, dampened by the ever flowing land-drains, a home to agrimonies and willowherbs and now, I sincerely hope, primula.

Of course, I still have some of my staunch little vulgaris, various cowslips, oxslips and even some of those primrose pretenders, cortusa but now, I want enormous bog primroses - florindae, helodoxa, bulleyana, beesiana, japonica...and those dainty asiatics - secundiflora, wilsonii and even common old drumsticks primroses - denticulata and viallii.

Please don't tell me that, like meconops, primula really haven't traveled across the pond to find a home in the hearts of Americans (and Canadians) - someone must be growing a secret cache of these gorgeous beauties. ( have always had to content myself with auriculas but have indulged in them shamelessly, but sadly, these pained jewels will not survive the rough and tumble of a woodland (mine are sequestered in tiny terracotta pots, displayed in a little theatre in April/May and although they could definitely survive in a border, they will vanish in the woods...but swathes and drifts of huge primulas, with those rugose and often evergreen leaves - sigh.

Comments (23)