SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shemmy98

Shade Lawn Advice- Phase 2: Where's the cliff

shemmy98
8 years ago

Ok so here goes. Several pictures from my back yard re-seed/reno.

Ok, so several different questions.

1. The first picture looks great and believe it or not that the area on the side of the garage that gets the least amount of sun and most inconsistent water (since I have to do it by hand). The problem arises that those seedlings are already 2" tall yet look no where near ready to be cut. Some places elsewhere in the lawn haven't sprouted at all. All the seed was put down at the same time last Sunday. So when should I cut it?

2. The second picture is my backyard issue in a nutshell, where the peat stayed and held the seed, it sprouted (little bunch about middle right of picture), but elsewhere it's barren and no seed visible. Some random sprouts but less than 1 every 2 square inches or so. Should I try to respread some seed at 50% rate in the areas that seem the most sparse? Since I'm still watering at a high rate the next few weeks hoping to get the rough bluegrass to pop I figure any new seed would at least stand a chance of germinating. Yes? No?

3. One of the other areas in the yard that has sprouted nicely has all of a sudden started turning white. Disease? Fungus? Just some doomed seedlings?

My biggest issue is how some areas have sprouted nicely, others have not and how to deal with it. I don't mind doing additional seeding (maybe after the first cut) even if it's late in the season with the hopes that maybe some of the seed will sprout before the cold sets in. Even if it only germinates 50% of the seed, that's 50% more grass that will be there than now.

Just hoping this thing is going to hell once again. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Comments (10)