SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bob_cville

Preemptive repair of copper pipe

bob_cville
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I have the walls open in a finished basement bedroom in which I am repairing water damage (which was due to a gutter problem) In one of the walls there is a frostproof faucet. The supply pipe for it comes down the surface of the concrete block wall, turns horizontal and runs horizontally along the wall to a 2x6 framed wall next to the concrete block wall to the frostproof faucet.

In the stud bay there was a fair bit of rodent damage to the fiberglass insulation including the corrosion shown here:

My questions are:

Should I do something about that corroded area now while the wall is open to stave off the possibility of having that spot leak?

Is the place where the pipe runs across the surface of the concrete block a problem? In terms of corrosion or freezing?

Is the sheet of aluminum that is nailed to the wall between the pipe and the block a good idea, or a great way to promote galvanic corrosion?

In the past the concrete block wall was framed out so the finished wall was flush with the breaker panel, and it will be again when this project is done. However in the past there was no insulation in that wall and only a thin aluminized tar paper on the block. I plan to insulate the wall with at least 2" of styrofoam insulation

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Comment (1)