SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

My husband has the hots for Paula Deen and Tracy Porter!

IdaClaire
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

DH and I have already decided on (and today we ordered - yay!) the furniture for our master bedroom. Some of you may think this odd, but he also has his own bedroom upstairs where he goes to actually snooze because he snores like a freight train most nights. (Let's not talk about medical aspects, please. We've already been down that road. We also aren't interested in a spendy bed with adjustable positions for the master, so let's just focus on the DH room. ;-)) We both want "his" room to look nice, and I've pretty much been leaving it up to him to choose the furnishings since he's the one who will sleep there. So in addition to furniture for our master, today we also went looking for furnishings for "his" room.

Today he "fell in love" with offerings under the names of Paula Deen and Tracy Porter. I would never in a million years have thought these would be his choices, but he is a unique and surprising man, so I'm trying to appreciate what it is that makes him HIM and embrace these pieces. He absolutely loves the bed, and so do I, actually. It's metal in a Jenny Lind style. I love the vintage vibe, but the bronze metal gives it sort of a fresh edge. The dresser and nightstand will probably be the only other pieces of furniture in the room. I like them too.

The quilt ... The Tracy Porter quilt ... Oy. I tried telling him, "Well, it's quite bohemian and your furniture will be traditional", but he doesn't seem swayed. His response? "I like the happy colors. Anyway, only you and I will ever see it, so why not?"

Me: "The bedding looks more like something a teenage girl might have in her bedroom."

Him: "I don't think so. I really LIKE it."

Me: "What about THIS instead?" [Holding up a packaged comforter in more subtle, masculine tones.]

Him: "Ummm, I don't really like that. I like THIS."

So. Do you think this marriage (of Porter and Deen) can actually work? I'd really like to be able to encourage DH positively. He's been so sweet to take such an active interest in our new home, so I'd love to see his choices in a positive light.

Here's the bed:

The dresser and nightstand:

Aaaaaaaaaaand ... the bedding.

The room is pretty much a blank canvas, so I'm wondering if we can make these things work and perhaps bring in a piece of two of complementary artwork for the walls.

Is this nuts?

Comments (31)