SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chas045

Bad Spark Plug or Just the Carb?

chas045
8 years ago

I have been working on my chipper. It has a 9 HP B&S Intek engine. It always starts easy. On occasion, I would find that the engine appeared starved for fuel because it wouldn't run unless half choked. I would then clean and blow out carb and on 1st or second try would have engine running fine. However, this time I first got no improvement and on second try while leaving the air filter off, saw that carb was spraying fuel thru air intake. I assumed my float or needle had failed or was miss-set. After getting some wrong parts, I just checked and reset the apparently OK needle etc.

But for the first time ever, I couldn't get the engine to start or even pop. I hadn't messed with anything else except that I did replace the carb's welch plug. It seems to be appropriately resealed (no air can blow thru the plug (big waste of time; nothing back of it that wasn't easily cleaned without removal). So, I checked the plug that looked OK. However, it wasn't easy to see much spark resting against engine. So I hooked up a little CJ8 plug and it gave much brighter spark. I see that my Intek plug is a 'resistor plug'. I assume that weak spark means trouble, but does the resistor issue change things?? I will have to get a new one tomorrow I guess.

A bad plug would be a nice easy solve, but it sure seems unlikely that it would fail while I was messing with the carburetor. However, this carb doesn't have many parts. The needle/seat is a large cylindrical white plastic unit that holds the main jet and sits in the bowl with a single molded super complex rubber gasket mating the rest of the carb.

Comments (6)